New California Plates

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
They finally came after explaining to the lady at DMV who originally denied them that this was not referring to sexual position during Lamaze Class..... I sent a picture and a link to the 1969 Lemans race recap, then she approved them. See below:

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 769

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
If that is what the gal at the DMV actually thought,:eek:eek then that is VERY FUUNY!!!!! :willy:willy

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
LOL! great plates and an even better story to go with them!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
LMANS'10 would be cool too, albeit a bit cocky at this point.

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
LMANS'10 would be cool too, albeit a bit cocky at this point.

:thumbsup

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
If that is what the gal at the DMV actually thought,:eek:eek then that is VERY FUUNY!!!!! :willy:willy

Awkward conversation but I was diplomatic and kept a straight face..:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
They finally came after explaining to the lady at DMV who originally denied them that this was not referring to sexual position during Lamaze Class..... I sent a picture and a link to the 1969 Lemans race recap, then she approved them.

Up here in Taxington, the test is: 'MIGHT the 'plate be interpreted as vulgar, off color, blah, blah, by the average Joe who sees it on the street (obviously MY words, not the state's). It makes no DIFF if the plate's ACTUAL meaning is innocent or not.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Up here in Taxington, the test is: 'MIGHT the 'plate be interpreted as vulgar, off color, blah, blah, by the average Joe who sees it on the street (obviously MY words, not the state's). It makes no DIFF if the plate's ACTUAL meaning is innocent or not.

Yet before they instituted that rule. I would see a full sized Bronco driving around in the Renton-Bellevue area for years (80's) that had a plate "BUCK OFF"!

We laughed every time we saw it. This was back when personalized plates were always yellow..

On a related subject, is there an easy way to find someone who already has a personalized plate to ask if they would be willing to sell the rights to it?

H

HHGT

Nice plate Mike.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
On a related subject, is there an easy way to find someone who already has a personalized plate to ask if they would be willing to sell the rights to it?

Well now, that's ANOTHER lil' pblm up here. :lol

Unless the law's been changed, one CANNOT simply sell a 'plate to someone else. One has to sell him the CAR the plate's on and leave the 'plate on said car. (Of course, there'd be no pblm transferring the 'plate to a $10 junker FIRST and selling it that way. :wink)

(As an aside, I know the 'owner' of Washington's "USA-1" 'plate. You wouldn't believe what he's been offered for it! :biggrin)

Edit: With regard to your other question, you COULD write Olympia and ask 'them' to fwd "the enclosed letter to the registered owner of Wash. St. 'plate number XXXXXX". I did that a few yrs ago (to inquire about buying a car) and Oly DID forward that letter (and, no. The owner didn't want to sell!). Otherwise, unless you have a 'friend' working for the state who has access to DMV records, public access to vehicle registration records is supposedly verboten...which, it would appear, you already know.:biggrin)

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Funny story!
Cool Plates.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
One thing about personalized plates that is not so great is that they are way easy for others to remember.

I had "muvover" on my F-350 and passed a man going 15mph under the speed limit in an area not designated for passing (rural 40mph road). He had a very easy time reporting me to the county who had the sheriff swing by my house a day later and tell me to slow down and don't pass there again.

Plate is gone.

:usa

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
I approve...mine reads "Le Mans 8 (for the 8 GT40's that were entered in the 1966 race), three cars embarrassing the Italian's (especially Enzo Ferrari) by finishing First, Second and Third across the line.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
One thing about personalized plates that is not so great is that they are way easy for others to remember.
:usa

Yep - after I got mine for the GT, I was filling up at the local Chevron station, and a young CHP was there (the one who is always saying he's going to get me). We chatted awhile - then he said "I see you've got a new plate - I'll have to write that down so I remember it!" :frown

Ah but since I always adhere to the laws of man and nature - he never has....................yet.:wink

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I approve...mine reads "Le Mans 8 (for the 8 GT40's that were entered in the 1966 race), three cars embarrassing the Italian's (especially Enzo Ferrari) by finishing First, Second and Third across the line.

I took a similar approach to my plates "4 LEMANS" since the original was built 4 Le Mans and it won 4 times in a row.

Last edited:

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
i took a little bit different approach to my plate......mine describes the pleasure of driving my beast.

Attachments

• license plate.jpg
    license plate.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 84

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
i took a little bit different approach to my plate......mine describes the pleasure of driving my beast.

That gets you around the thought police. :biggrin Took me a minute. :thumbsup

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Well now, that's ANOTHER lil' pblm up here. :lol

Unless the law's been changed, one CANNOT simply sell a 'plate to someone else. One has to sell him the CAR the plate's on and leave the 'plate on said car. (Of course, there'd be no pblm transferring the 'plate to a $10 junker FIRST and selling it that way. :wink)

(As an aside, I know the 'owner' of Washington's "USA-1" 'plate. You wouldn't believe what he's been offered for it! :biggrin)

Edit: With regard to your other question, you COULD write Olympia and ask 'them' to fwd "the enclosed letter to the registered owner of Wash. St. 'plate number XXXXXX". I did that a few yrs ago (to inquire about buying a car) and Oly DID forward that letter (and, no. The owner didn't want to sell!). Otherwise, unless you have a 'friend' working for the state who has access to DMV records, public access to vehicle registration records is supposedly verboten...which, it would appear, you already know.:biggrin)

Larry I sold the rights to my BOSS 429 plate to a gent in Washington after I sold the car to a gent on the east coast. There is a paper you sign to release interest in the plate.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Larry I sold the rights to my BOSS 429 plate to a gent in Washington after I sold the car to a gent on the east coast. There is a paper you sign to release interest in the plate.

I thought that ONLY released interest so that the next guy on the state's waiting list for any particular plate could then register it on HIS car...not so it's FORMER "owner" could sell it to whomever HE wanted? Or has all that been changed? It's been several years since I had any reason to check on any of this stuff...

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I thought that ONLY released interest so that the next guy on the state's waiting list for any particular plate could then register it on HIS car...not so it's FORMER "owner" could sell it to whomever HE wanted? Or has all that been changed? It's been several years since I had any reason to check on any of this stuff...

You can release interest to anyone you want - doesn't have to be the next guy in line.