New California Law

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
In California , the "Move-over" law became effective on January 1, 2010.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license
and a mandatory court appearance

Important Law to Share:

A friend got a ticket on Pleasant Hill coming back from Wal-Mart. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. They slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. They had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.

It is true (see details at the following web address). It states that except two states, all the other US states (even Canada ) enacted similar kind of law.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yup. Wash St has the same law. And it's a law that makes TOTAL SENSE for once!!!! (I've changed lanes in these situations for years "just because".)

Too many LEO's have been injured or killed by I-D-I-O-T-S who seem to wanna see just how close they can come to sideswiping cars on the shoulder w/o doing so.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
It's a good law, move over, make way etc.

Enforcement in Wa. pretty much has been "advisory", rather than ticket & fine.

No if we could get enforcement of the "left lane is for passing" laws, I would be a happier camper.

Get the cruise control/cell phone folks outta the way, and I would be able turn off my Buck Rodgers phazer.

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
I have always done it anyway, and noticed the other day the CHP was giving a very long hard look at a car in front of me that did not pull into the LH lane or slow down.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's a shame is that these simple driving courtesies have to be legislated.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
No if we could get enforcement of the "left lane is for passing" laws, I would be a happier camper.

Before they do that they have to enforce the right lane is for passing and to ticket the drivers that park in the right lane all day! :thumbsdow

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Before they do that they have to enforce the right lane is for passing and to ticket the drivers that park in the right lane all day! :thumbsdow

'Twould appear I must do a little more driving than YOU, Clinton! 'Cause I do believe one gets ticketed for PITCHING CAMP IN THE L-E-F-T lane, sir! THAT is at least SUPPOSED to be the "passing lane"!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

Now, youz feel free to gimme a call ennytyme youz would like a FREE refresher course on actual DRIVING............and the rules of the road, there, ya hear...? :rofl:rofl:rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
'Twould appear I must do a little more driving than YOU, Clinton! 'Cause I do believe one gets ticketed for PITCHING CAMP IN THE L-E-F-T lane, sir! THAT is at least SUPPOSED to be the "passing lane"!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

Now, youz feel free to gimme a call ennytyme youz would like a FREE refresher course on actual DRIVING............and the rules of the road, there, ya hear...? :rofl:rofl:rofl

Not in CA! In CA I have never seen anyone ticketed for parking in the left lane as long as they were going with the general flow of traffic or withing 5 mph of the speed limit.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not in CA! In CA I have never seen anyone ticketed for parking in the left lane as long as they were going with the general flow of traffic or withing 5 mph of the speed limit.

Nice try. No "save"! No cee-gar! :tongue :rofl

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Yup. Wash St has the same law. And it's a law that makes TOTAL SENSE for once!!!! (I've changed lanes in these situations for years "just because".)

Too many LEO's have been injured or killed by I-D-I-O-T-S who seem to wanna see just how close they can come to sideswiping cars on the shoulder w/o doing so.

Truckers call this "DUSTING"

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
what I dont undrestand is why when someone is being pulled over they cant find a parking lot or if on the highway take the next exit and pull over in an area that is safe, or that why this is not something that is being thought in driving schools or encouraged by the police, surely they wouldnt want to be in the harms way on side of a busy city street or highway. :confused

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
what I don't understand is why when someone is being pulled over they can't find a parking lot or if on the highway take the next exit and pull over in an area that is safe, or that why this is not something that is being taught in driving schools or encouraged by the police, surely they wouldn't want to be in harms way on side of a busy city street or highway. :confused

Completely agree. Although it has been many years since I have been pulled over, I always looked for a parking lot or side road and never had a problem due to delaying pulling over (turned my signal on right away so CHP knew I was aware of him). Common sense is unfortunately, not common.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Common Sense

Somehow, I think this belongs here...

Obituary printed in the London Times –

Today we mourne the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot... She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement (This, I have heard, has been reversed in Appellate Courts). Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:

I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I think this is because so many police officers have been killed giving tickets when other cars hit theirs or the one they are leaning into.

Texting while driving=3X more likely than if you were .08 or above. Wait for the tickets to escalate for using your phone!!!!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
just saw a article on the news tonight. Truckers/Bus Drivers are subject to a $2,860 fine for texting,emailing, non-hands free cellphone use. In California anyway.

And MANY points on their license. Amost enough points to lose their CDL.

Federal study said that just reading a text message or email takes about 6 seconds. At freeway speeds that is 330', with out your eyes on the road.

I've seen some very frightening events due to cell phone users not being able to pay attention. And one totaled 335i because of the other driver being on the phone.

nuff said