New Audi R8

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Hi folks
here are some brand new shots of another Volkswagen member with the innovative and appreciated "Endo-Bump" anti-terror feature :biggrin -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMzo6vAyqxU

By accident I spotted today the Audi R8 at the Audi Forum opening in Tokyo on my free shopping Sunday. First time that I saw the Audi R8 in real, not bad shot for their "first" Audi branded sports car. The R8 will be delivered to the dealers not before Summer 2007 in Germany, so I was quite amazed to see the car in real. Will come with a V8 and 430 HP (sound is :thumbsdow). Another V10 engine is planned later. Looks not too bad though (hello Veyron) - I am happy to have my GT at home waiting :wink

Desi

PC102957.JPG

PC102963.JPG

PC102962.JPG

PC102965.JPG

PC102964.JPG

Tech Specs Audi R8

420 PS und 430 Nm – auf Wunsch nachts sogar indirekt beleuchtet (->hey, they copied our GT nuclear light :).
4.2 FSI V-Achtzylinder, Mittelmotor, hinten längs • Benzindirekteinspritzung • 4 Ventile pro Zylinder • 4 oben liegende Nockenwellen, Kettenantrieb • Hubraum 4163 cm³ • Leistung 309 kW (420 PS) bei 7800/min • maximales Drehmoment 430 Nm bei 4500/min • Allrad mit Viscokupplung • Doppelquerlenker vorn und hinten • 6-Gang Schaltgetriebe • rundum innenbelüfte, gelochte Scheibenbremsen • Reifen vorn/hinten 235/40-285/35 ZR 18 • L/B/H 4431/1904/1249 Millimeter • Radstand 2650 Millimeter • Leergewicht 1560 Kilo • Kofferraumvolumen 100 Liter • Beschleunigung 0–100 km/h in 4,6 Sekunden • Höchstgeschwindigkeit 301 km/h • Preis 104.400 Euro

Video
http://microsites.audi.com/audir8/h...erID=brandportal_de&BannerID=R8_micro_link_de

Last edited:

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Audi R8

Desi,
Thanks for the post. I have an R8 on order with a late summer delivery expected. I am sorry to hear that the sound is not good, seems a shame to have a great car without a great sound.
Don

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Don,
you know, anything but a GT would sound bad, right? :wink
I heard that they are working on it ...
Otherwise, you may fit a Borla to it.

Desi

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Don,
I saw the car on the Bologna motor show, and well, make sure you get a good color. Looks odd with the carbon panels. I think the one Desi posted is by far the best one I saw. DO NOT get a silvergrey one. Looks like they ran out of paint.....
Sound can be fixed. Looks not.

Hope this helps. And remember, taste is different for all anyhow.

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
can you say gallardo ?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
can you say gallardo ?

GAI-AR-DOH ...if you want to be precisely in synch with the spanish origin (a famous Bull's name)

PS: The R8 will not be available with the 10cyl engine right away....I was told.

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
a winner ! that new akon song that says "Guh - Laddo" drives me nuts every time I hear it.

PS: that sucks - i did see some pre production R8 photos with gallardo wheels and some other G equiptment during testing. Makes ya wonder ... should be a fantastic car though.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
R8

They are telling me that the first cars will have the V8, second year they will add the V10 and the third year they will add the V12 Diesel. Current discussion is that the car will go away after the third or fourth year. They have suggested that I order all three cars and just trade out each year as the new version comes in.

The Gallardo is a beautiful car. I am looking for a daily driver and I am hoping the R8 will fill that requirement better than the Gallardo. Time will tell.

Don

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulations, Don. Can't wait to see that one.

raid

Jan 16, 2007
PA
Audi has put out some strange looking cars in the past few years, but nevertheless, it's hard to beat that German engineering.

This looks to be the same engine that's in the RS-4

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I saw the car in Detroit and thought it looked terriable.

2005FordGT

Ford GT. It's The One.
Aug 8, 2005
New York
I think red might be the best color for the new R8, and white isn't too bad either.

P1130503.jpg

299315audir8photoyk6.jpg

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
R8 Drive

Audi has invited me to Las Vegas for two days on the track with the Audi R8.Should be fun to see what it can do...
Don:thumbsup

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Is the R8 2wd or awd, and does anyone know the approx weight?

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
It's awd like the Gallardo. My guess is that the V8 version will be lighter than the Gallardo and the V10 will be about the same weight as the Lambo. The Gallardo is 3350 lbs according to Car and Driver.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
R8

The car is all wheel drive and comes in at 1530 kg. Another article said 3.71 kg per bhp.

I would convert that for you, but that would be cheating!

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
According to my math, that is 3370 lbs. 454 grams in a pound.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
With awd how can it be so light?

I saw a diagram showing the engine connected to the rear differential housing. But, the power path goes from the engine to a drive spline going through the rear differential housing then connecting to the transmission. Sitting in front of the transmission is a transfer case that splits the power between the front and rear wheels. Than the rear diff gets its power from the transfer case.

Very complicated, and I think I interpreted the diagram correctly. I believe this convoluted method was used because of mid engine/awd and the necessity of both axles needing their power to go through a transfer box before distributing.

Ferrari Beater

Jan 29, 2007
Farmington Hills, MI
With awd how can it be so light?

I saw a diagram showing the engine connected to the rear differential housing. But, the power path goes from the engine to a drive spline going through the rear differential housing then connecting to the transmission. Sitting in front of the transmission is a transfer case that splits the power between the front and rear wheels. Than the rear diff gets its power from the transfer case.

Very complicated, and I think I interpreted the diagram correctly. I believe this convoluted method was used because of mid engine/awd and the necessity of both axles needing their power to go through a transfer box before distributing.

First of all, it is a VERY SMALL CAR. I was shocked when I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show. It is the size of a Boxster according to Top Gear.

Second, Audi has been perfecting all wheel drive for some time now and they know how to make it really light.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Awd

I believe they took the AWD from the Lambo and put it in there. The frame is aluminum. I have never seen it, but I will soon!