Need rear tires

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Xcentric, Great summation.

I agree!
Very nice discertation Gary on the pros and cons.
Well done sir.:thumbsup

I am soon to mount my first set of Bridgestones on my car. Finally moving away from the GY's.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Anyone who has driven their GT with Hoosiers on the road or track will become believers. Sticky tires are addicting. It's hard to go back to tires that squeal & slide. Plus Hoosiers cost less & wear almost the same for me as the Goodyears. The Bridgestones may be stickier than the Goodyears but they don't come close to the Hoosiers in weight & traction. The only disadvantage with the Hoosiers is in standing water/heavy rain & running over large debris. I have probably 90% of my 47,000 miles on Hoosiers. No flats, no problems.

Nobody here complains of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups that are OEM or optional on some sport cars & they are basically the same "slick" as the Hoosiers but with some slight tread to make people feel safer/happier. The Michelin's come with 2/32" tread that once it is worn or shaved (resulting in 4/32" till reaching the wear bars in the 3 parallel grooves) will leave a tire that looks like the Hoosiers that start with 4.5/32" (Hoosiers have 2 parallel grooves).

All the high performance tires have manufacturer warnings to help satisfy their legal departments. There is no state or federal law that requires tread. Only a minimum of 2 parallel grooves to be able to measure wear. As far as safety the recommended tire for the Mojave Mile & other high speed events are Hoosiers.

Ed

PS You can see in the photo of the Pilot Sport Cups the superficial tread. They are great tires! Wish they made them in our sizes then people would feel better about running sticky tires!

Attachments

• 8_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_Cup.jpg
    8_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_Cup.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Who needs Michelins in FGT sizes, Hoosiers American made, work batter and cost less.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Michelins are what I run on mine car and are hands down the best mod I've done to it however I must admit I've never tried the Bridgestones.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Some good info on racetrack only vs. streetable racetrack. All except the Hoosiers require different size wheels, unless you don't mind significantly different tire diameters.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp

For anyone considering Hoosiers for the street, this is good reading. Care and feeding for maximum benefit is a bit complex. Freezing temp is a particular problem, even for simply storing the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/HOOSIER.pdf

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Which size Hoosier are you guys running on the rear and how do they compare to the size and look of the Bridgestone on the car? IE are they nearly the same height? What are you running on the front?

My current set of Bridgestone rears are nearing end of life and this thread might have me thinking about trying the Hoosiers.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
SteveA - are you running the Pilot Sport Cups? If so what size?

jcthorne - the rear Hoosiers are the exact same size as the OEM Goodyears. Hoosier made that tire specifically for the GT during development & still do today. More people run the Hoosiers than you would think. People get scared when they read the disclaimer or see no tread.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Some good info on racetrack only vs. streetable racetrack. All except the Hoosiers require different size wheels, unless you don't mind significantly different tire diameters.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp

For anyone considering Hoosiers for the street, this is good reading. Care and feeding for maximum benefit is a bit complex. Freezing temp is a particular problem, even for simply storing the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/HOOSIER.pdf

I didn't know the Toyo R888's were considered the same category as the R6's. I know A LOT of people that run those on the street.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I didn't know the Toyo R888's were considered the same category as the R6's. I know A LOT of people that run those on the street.

The R888s share only an R compound designation with the Hoosiers. The R888s are decent tires, but nothing like the Hoosiers. The best tires for the street that I have found which are not Hoosiers or drag radials, are the Pirelli Trofeo Rs. Unfortunately, the closest rear size available is about 2" shorter than OEM.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Tire Rack does not list a Hoosier R6 in a 315/40-19 that I can find. Was it discontinued?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Tire Rack does not list a Hoosier R6 in a 315/40-19 that I can find. Was it discontinued?

http://hoosiertiresdirect.net/R6-315-40-19-46940R6.htm

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=R6

Super secret race track area I guess. Not the most user friendly site.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=R6

Super secret race track area I guess. Not the most user friendly site.

You'll notice there is no price or availability listed. Click to the sizes page and 315/40-19 is not listed.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
You'll notice there is no price or availability listed. Click to the sizes page and 315/40-19 is not listed.

I just noticed that, could have sworn it was there earlier today. Asked the chat dude on Tirerack.. according to him Hoosier has discontinued that size.

TRR6.jpg

Edit. Well that pic is not clear.. here is a transcript:

Ross: Hi, how can I help you today?
x: Hoosier R6 315/40-19. Where is it?
Ross: They have been discontinued in that size
x: On Tirerack... or by Hoosier?
Ross: By Hoosier
Ross: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
x: Did they discontinue that size, or that tire?
Ross: size
x: Got it.. Thanks

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Cue the panic music!

Still listed as "in stock" at several places. Better get your orders in fast.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Cue the panic music!

Still listed as "in stock" at several places. Better get your orders in fast.

Been down this road with the 'stones, turned out to be bs. Ed... what say you?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Ed, I am running Pilot Super Sport's, 265 35 ZR 19's front and 335 30 ZR 20's rear. The Sport Cup 2's weren't out when I purchased the PSS's, when these are done I will go with the Cups. Edit: CRAP! I just noticed they no longer list a 345 30 20 Cup for the rear? However it looks like they now offer it in the Super Sports at 345 30 20 so that is what I will stick with.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, I am running Pilot Super Sport's, 265 35 ZR 19's front and 335 30 ZR 20's rear. The Sport Cup 2's weren't out when I purchased the PSS's, when these are done I will go with the Cups. Edit: CRAP! I just noticed they no longer list a 345 30 20 Cup for the rear? However it looks like they now offer it in the Super Sports at 345 30 20 so that is what I will stick with.

You didn't mention that you were running aftermarket wheels! Options open up (in particular, with Michelin) when you go up in wheel diameter.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I did in post #32. If I was still using the stock rims hands down I would run the Bridgestones.:thumbsup

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Perhaps a moot point since they are discontinued, but I've had R6's develop a bulge on the tread surface. I dont know if this is due to a broken belt internal to the tire or what. I know others who have had similar issues on R6's older than a few years. Might be a consideration if they are going to sit on the car for a while. Note: this was on a race car, not a street car, so YMMV.