need help with clutch choice

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
Hi guys. I'm dropping a built motor with a whipple 4.0 into my car this week and was wondering if the Stillen AP clutch would be enough to hold the power. I'm going to use some spay(nos) in this set up as well. we are shooting to break 1000hp. or should I be getting a spec clutch? or does some one else make a clutch? I'm on a tight time line as well. any thoughts?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Dom, are you running this setup at RTB this year or will you be in that Supes you just finished building? Maybe you're just planning for both top podium spots? Can't wait to see this beast. I've no doubt you'll be faster than everyone else.

I'm not sure about the clutch, based on what I've read, I KNOW the spec would hold the power, I just don't know about the Stillen. Sorry, that's no help to you. Maybe this little bump will get you some answers though.

Anyway, good luck at the event. See you soon.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
1000hp seems high for the stillen. I am using a tilton carbon clutch for my Whipple/Nitrous set-up.

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
Dom, are you running this setup at RTB this year or will you be in that Supes you just finished building? Maybe you're just planning for both top podium spots? Can't wait to see this beast. I've no doubt you'll be faster than everyone else.

I'm not sure about the clutch, based on what I've read, I KNOW the spec would hold the power, I just don't know about the Stillen. Sorry, that's no help to you. Maybe this little bump will get you some answers though.

Anyway, good luck at the event. See you soon.

I'm running both of them. I'm not too sure I'll take top spot this year. it will be tight.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Spec, end of discussion.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
SPEC Clutch. I'd recommend the P-Trim based on what you're doing.

SpecModels.JPG

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Kendall, how's the pedal pressure between the ST and E trim models?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Spec, end of discussion.
Only the beginning.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FWIW, I've run the Stillen for around 12-13,000 miles with the Twin Turbo setup.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
SPEC Clutch. I'd recommend the P-Trim based on what you're doing.

View attachment 25899

I've the ST trim and have never had a problem.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall, how's the pedal pressure between the ST and E trim models?

I wish I had some personal experience to answer, but I don't. I would surmise that pedal pressure is increased noticeably between the two and quite frankly, I wouldn't want to live with anything more than the P-Trim for a car that is driven on the street.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Kendall put a P-Trim SPEC clutch in my TTGT and I'm very happy with it. Pedal pressure feels like it's about 75% higher than stock, not objectionable at all once you get use to it. This clutch needs to be broken in though. It has less engagement travel and is grabby until broken in and smooths out. Nothing will have the buttery smooth engagement of the stock clutch. Spec clutch is pretty bullet proof and will stand up reliably to big power that would destroy the stock clutch.

Chip

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I wish I had some personal experience to answer, but I don't. I would surmise that pedal pressure is increased noticeably between the two and quite frankly, I wouldn't want to live with anything more than the P-Trim for a car that is driven on the street.

Roger.

Kendall put a P-Trim SPEC clutch in my TTGT and I'm very happy with it. Pedal pressure feels like it's about 75% higher than stock, not objectionable at all once you get use to it. This clutch needs to be broken in though. It has less engagement travel and is grabby until broken in and smooths out. Nothing will have the buttery smooth engagement of the stock clutch. Spec clutch is pretty bullet proof and will stand up reliably to big power that would destroy the stock clutch.

Chip

Thanks, that's very interesting and good to know. Yes, the stock clutch is a pleasure. Will be sorry when I must leave that behind.