Need help with broken rear fin

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I do not want to get into the details of how my rear fin got cracked but lets just say I was not driving the car (and it was not the wife either) :bang

I tried doing a search here but nothing came up. Anyone know the part #? Can I just install it myself (does not seem like rocket science).

This has taught me never to let anyhone else drive my car again...ever.:thumbsdow

Any help appreciated.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The rear belly pan is a single part number. You have to order the whole thing from Ford. I have heard that the rear diffusers are fiberglass and pretty easy to repair. Stillin also offers their diffusers (slightly bigger and supposedly more effective) as a separate item. They looked to be pop-riveted on, so it can't be that tricky to replace.

I need to add that I have never actually tried to order them from Ford myself.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The fins are fiberglass and can be repaired easily.

If just a"bite" was taken out it's real easy to fix.

If you want to order a new one get a hold of Maurice (92NSX) at Duval Ford in Jacksonville, FLA.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This has taught me never to let anyhone else drive my car again...ever.:thumbsdow

I think you're now the 2nd 'Forum member in recent months to 'convert' to that philosophy under similiar circumstances. It's bad enough when we crunch something on our own.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I feel your pain.... The hot set up is Stillen's replacement set, it will be the last one you ever buy, unless this happens.... and I pray it doesn't...

Attachments

• fordgt_20060810_002.jpg
    fordgt_20060810_002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 249

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
by the way, the wreck happened at an open track at Pocono
Jason will be doing a full detail and it will be as good as new.... go Jason!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That driver door will need some special attention. That is a one-piece AL door and it isn't going to be happy in it's current 'tweaked' state. :frown

On the other hand, perhaps it will rub right out....

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you like do-it yourself, the fins are easy to fix. You just need fiberglass cloth and resin. The biggest problem is the color match. If the pan was also damaged it's easier to reshoot the entire assembly.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Bondo w fiberglass resin also works great..... :biggrin

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Had same problem

I had the same issue on my Ford GT about 8 months ago. Mine was damaged and cracked but did not really look bad unless you looked carefully at the car. I confess I rolled back into a concrete pillar at a car show.

The dealer quoted me $1900 to replace the intire piece. The local body shop where I take most of my business said it was easy to fix and did do for free. Although I did not ask them I suspect under $300 if I had paid for it.

Good luck

Lee

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If you don't do super high speed driving regularly, Stillen is unquestionably the way to go. That urethane stuff takes a beating. I'd just buy the Stillen one in case it accidentally gets duffed again, and then buy the stock piece for posterity. I've just seen too many stock ones to get bopped by valets, buddies, etc, to recommend simply putting the stock one back on.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Thanks for all the info guys!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I looked into this about a year ago as I had a minor scratch on mine, the part number starts with a "B" and it will take the parts guy at Ford a while to find it, it is a big section, basically the entire rear under surface up to mid car. A year ago it was about $1400.00, probably double that now.