Need Help- Looking at 68 GT 500

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
My wife found a nice 1968 GT 500 during her walking group this week, and I met with the owner on Saturday. He is not a car guy, and doesn't know much about the car, but doesn't think it is matching #'s.

I have called several Shelby guys, including our forum Shelby, and cannot locate a SAAC Registry to check it out. I ordered a MARTI on saturday, but that will take a few days.

I get to drive the car today at 4pm, and will know more then. I did get the
VIN off it, and it appears to be a 428 PI air car. It is black/black 4 speed.
If anyone can give me some help on this car please call me at 214-923-4342.

The vin # is xxxxxxxxxxx edited

Thanks for any help you guys can give. Shelby said Cobrajeff is a good bet, so if you are out there, help.
phil

Last edited by a moderator:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Check your voice mail

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Thanks so much Bony. Fax is 972-271-4881

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Got a call from someone who has a registry, and it looks to originally be a
Highland Green with black interior GT 350 auto car. The guys at RUF Porsche have a Shelby expert I am hiring to go over the car tomorrow afternoon.

The next question is, what is a GT 350 that has been converted to a 428 4sp and color change worth? If it can be bought in the mid 40's is it still a deal? I know that answer will probably depend on what real parts the car has on it.

I am somewhat less excited about the car now, but still might be a fun driver.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I don't know Shelby's that well (but do know 68 Mustangs real well). The S in the Vin is what they used for the 428's in Shelby's I am pretty sure.

I could be wrong on this as I said I know Mustangs real well not Shelby's.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
A real 68 Shelby 350 in decent shape is worth in the 40's all day long, even if it is a 350 with a 428 in it.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
On the plus side if you decide to return the car to stock drivetrain, the 428/4-speed setup in the car will bring much more money than the 302/c-4 you will need to make the car correct.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I would be interested in the 428 for my 68.5 CJ if it is in good shape and or a 68 block

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
My 68 shelby is vin8T02Jxxxxxxxxx. J is for 302. Please don't post the shelby numbers with the vin. The clones need this info to create a fake. Bony, if I'm wrong , disregard, elsewise please edit.

Thanks,

Steve

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Steve, your spot on.
Interested to see what the experts have to say on this beast.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I would also recommend going to :
http://saacforum.com/index.php
This is where you can pose some great questions to some true experts.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
Bony,

Could you edit the original post to limit the info on the vin to only nessesary numbers? this would protect all involved.

Thanks,

Steve

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Sorry I didn't think about the negative possibilities, please edit the post if possible.

Thanks for all the help. Hope to find out much more about the car tomorrow, when someone with some knowledge looks it over.

The Marti people called and said it was an incorrect vin, and the person on the phone didn't know why. I took it off the Shelby fender tag, and not from the door plate. I thought it was all there ?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
vin edited by xxxxing out per posters request by bony

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
you need to put in the vin up to the S. No way for anyone to give ANY kind of help without that part. Just omit the last 6 numbers.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Sorry I didn't think about the negative possibilities, please edit the post if possible.

Thanks for all the help. Hope to find out much more about the car tomorrow, when someone with some knowledge looks it over.

The Marti people called and said it was an incorrect vin, and the person on the phone didn't know why. I took it off the Shelby fender tag, and not from the door plate. I thought it was all there ?

sounding like a clone.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Got to be very careful. I think the day of barn finds are over.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
The tag on the door is for warranty purposes only. If it matches the number on the dash then it is assumed to be correct. Many doors were changed over the years and some cars don't even have the door tag. Much harder to change the one on the dash but it is still just riveted. On the early cars (65/66) the vin number is visible on the fender apron because the fender is notched out for it. On later cars the fender covers it. I was wondering, if it is supposed to really be a 350, do all the emblems on the car read GT500?

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
I would be happy to help you out - I have a "check-list" for each year Shelby Cobra Mustang (1965 - 1970) that I developed, over three decades and use and it really helps when looking at a car.

Feel free to private message me or email me, as i am not on this forum much and I am heading to Barrett Jackson in the AM and will not be on my computer

Best!

SGB

Last edited by a moderator:

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Thanks for the offers of help. I have a "Shelby guy" coming this afternoon to go through the car, and tell me what it was, and what it is now. If it really]
was a Shelby GT 350, and has enough real Shelby parts involved, it still may
be a fun driver. It has the GT 500 side stripes, and no hood stripes.
I will let my hired gun give me some direction. Will keep the board updated.

There is a group of 15 Dallas guys I know heading to all the Scottsdale auctions, and the expectations are for some much more reasonable pricing on musclecars and exotics. Good luck out there !