Need Fire suit and helmet Recommendations

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Got my fire extinguisher and had racing harnesses installed last year. Now I need to buy a helmet instead of borrow one. Any good recommendations on helmets, suits, shoes and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated. It is always nice to hear what works for others. :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey Tom, no recommendations from me, but I just wanted to say that I think you're posting just so that everyone can see your cool new margarita jump avatar!!! Nice man, nice!! :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Rex, a lot will depend on your physical size and of course how much you want to spend. I bought an Arai helmet with wide view opening for about $800. Kind of pricey, but it fits great and it is light. Many of the other owners have this helmet as well. Sparco, Simpson, Bell and others make nice, cheaper units as well. You can search the web for lots of things on helmets. Suit, gloves and shoes - maybe not necessary at this stage, but Sparco has a closeout on a nice suit and gloves. Try the UPR website for some info as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Arai has the best headroom if that is a concern.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Hey Tom, no recommendations from me, but I just wanted to say that I think you're posting just so that everyone can see your cool new margarita jump avatar!!! Nice man, nice!! :thumbsup

Next time I will get a shot of me doing a jump with a hockey helmet, stick and jersey in honor of Canada......but I think I will leave out the snow in the background thank you very much!! :wink

Rex, a lot will depend on your physical size and of course how much you want to spend. I bought an Arai helmet with wide view opening for about $800. Kind of pricey, but it fits great and it is light. Many of the other owners have this helmet as well. Sparco, Simpson, Bell and others make nice, cheaper units as well. You can search the web for lots of things on helmets. Suit, gloves and shoes - maybe not necessary at this stage, but Sparco has a closeout on a nice suit and gloves. Try the UPR website for some info as well.

Light would be good for the helmet. I will check out Sparco. I am 6'3 210lbs for the record.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Check this site out!! Several of the guys from Houston have ordered from them for the Big Bend Open Road Race!!!

http://www.saferacer.com/

Great stuff at a great price!!!

Larry

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Ive had several Sparco driving suits and really like them

Steve

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
When it comes to racing helmets there is no substitute for test fitting. I have had about 10 different helmets over the years for numerous types of motorsport. Dirtbikes, street bikes, race cars, go-carts, open face, closed face...I have quite the collection!

Some of my helmets have been a bit snug and too tight or too loose or have a weird crown in the back that hurts my head, others have fit perfectly and I'm extremely happy with them.

Right now I have an HJC AR-10 which I absolutely love!!! It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. My Dad tried it on one day and he hates it. It was too big, he did not like how large the eye openings were, he wanted the visor to raise higher. But, for me I could not have designed a better helmet myself. The best part...It only cost me $150.00 if I remember correctly.

HJC AR-10 in white:
http://www.hjc-motorsports.com/ar10.htm

So far I have owned:

HJC
Bell
Simpson
Impact
arai
and a few others...

It really just comes down to trying them on and testing the fit for yourself.

The most important thing is the Snell crash testing. As long as the helmet has passed the latest SNELL testing requirements that's all that matters. The rest comes down to personal comfort. Other than the crash testing certification, the comfort is the next important factor. When you do wear it, you'll be wearing it for long periods of time and you don't want to lose concentration because you have an uncomfortable helmet that is giving you a headache. Just because a helmet is pricey, doesn't mean it will fit your head perfectly.

I recommend going to some local motorcycle shops and test fitting different manufacturer's and sizes and just seeing what you like. If you have a local race shop or distributor nearby you should also stop by there and check them out as well.

In terms of race suits. It all depends on what you want to spend and how flash you want to go. My race suit is from a company called Flamecrusher. They are based out of New Zealand and I really like the suit. Very comfortable, relatively inexpensive and it suits me well. I also have a suit from MOMO which is a lot nicer, it's more expensive, but it looks 10 times nicer. Comfort wise, I'd have to say the MOMO is a little nicer. The Flamecrusher has a tendency to get too hot and a little itchy after an hour or two.

Alpinestars also makes a really nice suit if you want something at the higher end of the price range.

Last edited:

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
We just went through picking out suits for the Grand Am Series.... Some things you should consider when chosing a suit:

Most important - how well its going to protect you. Nomex is the favorite in fire resistance and is light weight. Weight and breathability is another big factor. A lot of suits are heavy and hot. Its no fun being inside a car in the summer heat pour gallons of sweat from your body. Also flexibility. Some suits ive worn arent very flexible and you will find yourself fatiguing faster.

One of my favorite suits: Alpine Star Supertech

Suits will last you a long time. its a good investment, you never know when something can go wrong.

Cant go wrong w Arai helmets.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
All great advice .
I always find it funny when people cheap out on the skid lid.Really the most important piece of equipment. Buy the lightest and the best you can . You will be amazed at how heavy your head can get lap after lap .Start doing neck exercises!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Helmet

I recommend the Arai helmet range. Light, comfortable and a good fit for my head with a wide view port for good periferal vision. As for suits - I'd pick one depending on the ambient temperatures you plan to run in. For summer I have a great "Stand 21" three layer custom suit. It's like wearing pajamas. Extremely light and breathable. Not a good choice for cold winter months however.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i use the simpson voyager helmet and a 2 layer sparco nomex fire suit