need 4.0 whipple insight

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
Im having trouble deciding on weather or not to pull the trigger on the 4.0. I've done a search on the forum to get some insight on the system and the drivability but all i seem to find is a lot of info on dyno numbers and boost levels. I'm more interested in how the car drives on the street, does it lose the low end snap that I love about the car? is it still fine to take to D.E. events? What boost levels are acceptable to run with pump and then through some 103 in and change the map for the track. any advice is greatly appreciated.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Im having trouble deciding on weather or not to pull the trigger on the 4.0. I've done a search on the forum to get some insight on the system and the drivability but all i seem to find is a lot of info on dyno numbers and boost levels. I'm more interested in how the car drives on the street, does it lose the low end snap that I love about the car? is it still fine to take to D.E. events? What boost levels are acceptable to run with pump and then through some 103 in and change the map for the track. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well in my experience it vastly improves the car - a friend agrees (a friend who races and is quite experienced with faster cars) - I took him out in the GT when it was stock his comment "WOW this is quite fast isn't it!" - I took him out after the 4.0L Whipple install - his comment "F**K! - oh my god!... we are going to die!!" - the car feels a LOT faster but retains that bottom end "snap" as you put it! I think the sensation of speed/power is exacerbated in mine as at the same time as the Whipple I had racing headers and a straight through exhaust fitted - so your senses are assailed from ALL directions!

For me it transformed the car from a decently rapid sports car - instantly into the "hypercar/supercar" performance league!

Do it - you wont regret it!

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
If you call me I will be happy to tell you what I know! Rich 303-931-5412

Attachments

• Red GT.jpg
    Red GT.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 301

Bruceky

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
Power is enhanced through out the entire rpm range. If you have 93 octane gas in your area you should have no problems @ 21 pounds boost, with 91 octane 19 pounds worked best for me which was achieved with a larger pulley. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Buy it... it will make you smile.

I have heard of people running 21lbs of boost on 93octane but I stuck with a 19lbs pulley.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Buy it... it will make you smile.

I have heard of people running 21lbs of boost on 93octane but I stuck with a 19lbs pulley.

Yeah - me too - got enough torque as it is!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Apollo is running the 4.0 at 19 psi and kicking ass and taking names at the standing mile events. He has Whipple tune and no added fuel pumps, etc.

I pulled a few sparkplugs on his car several weeks ago (before his latest tour) and all looked well from what the sparkplugs told.

I may have a 4.0L owner who will consider selling his slightly used (a couple hundred miles) Whipple in favor of a TT set-up. Not for sure yet but PM me if you would be interested in a "used" system.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Apollo is running the 4.0 at 19 psi and kicking ass and taking names at the standing mile events. He has Whipple tune and no added fuel pumps, etc.

I pulled a few sparkplugs on his car several weeks ago (before his latest tour) and all looked well from what the sparkplugs told.

I may have a 4.0L owner who will consider selling his slightly used (a couple hundred miles) Whipple in favor of a TT set-up. Not for sure yet but PM me if you would be interested in a "used" system.

PM sent.

Thank you. :biggrin

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
I've got tired of waiting for an proven solution to concerns about fueling and air restrictions, so going to order 4.0l anyhow.

anyone know if Accufab are supplying 80mm TB's yet??

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
attaboy, close your eyes and jump.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I have the 19 pulley and the mild borla exhaust but nothing else is really different. I have had the car for almost a year now with nothing but the 4.0 so I had nothing to compare it to. I thought something was wrong with my car when I got it as it seemed too smooth and not really powerful. I swear it almost seemed like the car was not really that fast. I had the belt tightened because I felt it must not have enough power and it must be slipping. I had it tightened so much it started to squeak. At that point, I was not too sure about the 4.0 Whipple. After getting the belt adjusted so it wouldn't make noise at the Rally last year, I got my perception corrected at the mile. We have been able to achieve times faster than any of the previous generation Whipples have been able to run, (unless they have something extra like nitrous or turbos). The car accelerates so well and so smooth it is very deceiving. I was the second fastest car, (fastest GT) only second to an all out race car at the Mojave mile and came close to breaking 200 in Miami, (196.?) I think I could have easily broke 200 with something other than stock tires. I really have no traction until third gear with the stock tires. My wife did 193 with a normal street start.
So.... I am completely satisfied and impressed with the 4.0 Whipple. I am also so impressed and satisfied with the Ford GT...I am going to try and make the next step and put the TT set up on. Yes I have the disease ... I can no longer help myself. I wanted to do TT originally and was almost satisfied with the 4.0, almost....As soon as I figure out how to afford the next step...:biggrin
Any one looking for a 4.0 Whipple?

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
For top performance in the mile there is no doubt that the TTs rule the day. A Whipple with NOS and a Nano bottle should give most but the very extreme TTs a run for its money. For street use, the Whipple has much better throttle response in RPM ranges below 4K and that where you are most likely running most of the time.

I am happy with my ancient Gen1. Unless tuned for the extremes I don't see much difference between any of the Whipple blower generations.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I think Clinton has this right. The car in stock form is outstanding - but any power upgrade from a simple pulley and tune to any of the Whipple S/C, to s/c tt, or tt, produces astonishing results with minimal worry. The Ford team has done an incredible job of giving us a car with almost unlimited potential and is still truly wondrous stock. It is truly amazing that this car can be so completely satisfying at any level. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have to agree with Apollo.

The FGT is just SICK, even in stock form.

My car is completely docile in bumper to bumper traffic, doesn't overheat, cruises the highways smoothly with instant power on demand and with very decent gas mileage. Yet I can drive it 400 miles to Mojave with stock street tires and run the mile against some very hopped up non-streetable "race cars" and come in 3rd from the top and then drive home another 400 miles with the same car. BTW, Apollo took a well deserved 2nd and he was the fastest of the street legal cars. FGTs took 2nd and 3rd and 5 of the top 7 places!

Ford - "Performance is Job 1"

http://www.mojavemile.com/2010_Mojave_Mile_March_Final_Results.pdf

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
If stock setup is a 1 and a pump gas whipple setup is a 10, what is the Ford Racing pulley & tune setup?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Ford's tune is conservative... I had a Heffner (pulley tune) and would call it a 6 on that scale.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Thanks. I guess where I'm going with this is I've heard everything from the Whipple is a huge step up from a pulley & tune setup to it's an incremental improvement and not that much bang for the buck. I understand the concept of it being able to produce boost with less heat but for a street car driven in short blasts, I'm not sure that's important to me. I don't want to steer this thread in a direction away from the original authors intent but I do have many questions regarding the nature of this modification.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Stock = 500whpish (180 @ the mile)
pulley tune = 620whpish (193 @ mile)
whipple = 750whpish (200 @ the mile)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thanks. I guess where I'm going with this is I've heard everything from the Whipple is a huge step up from a pulley & tune setup to it's an incremental improvement and not that much bang for the buck.

No question that "bang for the buck" a pulley tune combo is the way to go. However, using that same theory will put a Corvette in your garage long before a Ford GT.

Let your hate flow, I know you can feel the power of the Darkside, Luke.

04.jpg

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Is that picture some sort of Jedi Mind Trick ha?

If it's like diesel performance you start out with a small and safe fueling box. Then you realize I need more fuel and you add small injectors. Then EGTs get hot and you buy a little bigger turbo. A year later and thousands of dollars poorer, you're running a huge set of compound turbos, monster injectors, water/meth, nitrous, a $10k full billet tranny, and driving around in some 11sec 4 door pickup truck. It's a slippery slope. In GT land does one just skip the Whipple and go straight to a TT setup and what are the cost comparisons of both? My apologies for the hijack.