Nailed In Fresno

GRTG4CE

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
Good Morning Bony / Awesome Gt,

I was having the Gt detailed on Saturday afternoon when I noticed a rather large nail in my right rear tire. Who would you recommend in Fresno that would be equiped to change and remount a new tire ? The tire has not lost any air at this point however I dont want to risk pulling the nail out until I am at a shop.

Thanks You Guys;
John
GRTG4CE

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
GRTG4CE said:
Good Morning Bony / Awesome Gt,

I was having the Gt detailed on Saturday afternoon when I noticed a rather large nail in my right rear tire. Who would you recommend in Fresno that would be equiped to change and remount a new tire ? The tire has not lost any air at this point however I dont want to risk pulling the nail out until I am at a shop.

Thanks You Guys;
John
GRTG4CE

They might even save it for you, without any issues thereafter, if it is a real good shop..

GRTG4CE

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
Sounds Great !!! However I think I would worry about the saftey factor ??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, I may get blasted here for recommending this - but I have always "plugged" tires as a PERMANENT fix for nail-size or smaller puncture holes in the tread. I have probably done this on 50 or more tires and I have NEVER had an issue. At a minimum, the plug should allow you to drive anywhere to get the tire "repaired properly" at your leisure. Plug kits can be purchased anywhere including Wal-Mart for about $5. I keep a kit in every car.

GRTG4CE

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
Thank You !!! I dont have a kit in the car however I will pick one up this afternoon to carry with me in the event of an emergency.

Thank You Again Great Idea !!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Pluggin tires seem like common pratice now and I have plug many of tires myself. However for any car you plan to drive faster than the legal speed limit, I wouldn't trust a plug. A lost of tire pressure at high speed to cost you your life! Plugs in the grooves of the tire have less rubber to attach to and a more prone to failure and never plug a sidewall leak. I believe plugs are more prone to fail at the high tire temperatures that are seen at high speed. If you ever tested a bicycle patch's strength under heat, it will suprise you. Normally you cannot remove a patch, but if you heat the patch with an iron it will readily peel off! Can the same thing happen to a plug at 200 mph? The old school (correct) way of repairing a tire was to vulcanize a patch on the inside of the tire by melting a rubber patch onto the inner surface of the tire. That type of patching is less prone to failure, but I still wouldn't be doing the Silver State classic on that tire! Also those melt on patches are hard to find now a days.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
WHEEL KING on Blackstone, owned by Greg Boe can handle your needs.

Plugs are ok for street driving within the speed limits.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
don't worry, be happy

BlackICE said:
Pluggin tires seem like common pratice now and I have plug many of tires myself. However for any car you plan to drive faster than the legal speed limit, I wouldn't trust a plug. A lost of tire pressure at high speed to cost you your life!
BlackICE

Wouldn't trust myself with a Walmart rubber duck kit, believe me.. I intended a professional regalvanization.

Was driving such tyre two sunday's ago for many miles at 9000 revvs in sixth gear through Croatia.. that's approximately 200mph. (different car)
And, you guys are in US again, riigghht !? :biggrin So before your tyre blows, a cop will shoot you, statistically (Unless you are in canada, that is, i think there even the cops have no guns... :confused )

With the big ass back wheels on a GT you won't have an issue, if the hole is at a less critical point not directly on or close by a working section on the sidewall. leave it to the pro's to decide, but I usually wouldn't worry.

:cheers

Stefan

Last edited:

GRTG4CE

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
Hello Bony,

It was good seeing you on Saturday!!! Very Nice Import !!!!

Thank You for the information I will contact them this week.