Nail in tire

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Tire still holding pressure (30psi), but if I remove the nail, most likely I'll lose air, is it best to remove the wheel/tire form the car (which I'd have to figure out a way to do this)and have it repaired somewhere , or just take the car into a tire shop ? I'm afraid the tire shop may not know how to lift the car. Any suggestions will be appreciated :thumbsup

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Take the tire off and bring it into a tire shop.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Jack won't fit under the car :bang

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
[QUOTEI'm afraid the tire shop may not know how to lift the car. Any suggestions will be appreciated :thumbsup[/QUOTE]

Take your GT to a "good" tire shop. They'll know how to put the GT on a lift or let you do it yourself. Show them the lift points once the car is in the air.

They'll be able to do the repair. Make sure that they use "smooth" padded wheel clamps on the inside of the rim.

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Amazing......I have the same dilema.

Nail in the rear tire. Idealy want to remove the wheel myself but can't get the jack under. Can't take the nail out incase it deflates.

The only jack point I can see on the rear is way under where the rear diffuser end under the car. Is tis correct?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
do a search on lifting the car, there is exact information posted on many threads...
If the car is lifted incorrectly serious damage can be done. the search button is your friend.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769
read this thread carefully, everything you need to know on the FGT is already posted, just takes a minute to find this data.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The only jack point I can see on the rear is way under where the rear diffuser end under the car. Is tis correct?

'SIMPLE answer is "yes" (it's a little square hole in the area you describe. There's one on either side of the car). There IS a place where one CAN lift the GT from the side, but that makes me nervous.

For now, just run your car up on a series of 2x10's (or whatever) 'til it's up high enough to get your existing jack under the car to access said lift point. Then PAD the lift point on the jack B4U lift.

There are several l-o-o-o-o-w profile jacks you can buy to get under there in the future. AND, there are jack pads made by "GT SAVER" (search here on The 'Forum) that fit INTO the lift holes which you might wanna order. They work PERFECTLY.

Well, I'll be dipped! Check the link Bony just posted re: said pads!

Last edited:

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Lifting

Some, very thin jacks can get under the car but the lift points on the rear are very far inside. Even with the tire up, getting a jack in far enough is a problem.:thumbsdow

My solution has been to life the car by backing the car up onto either ramps or stacked pieces of wood to get the back up 4 to 6 inches. A jack will then go under far enough to reach the correct jack points. I then place my nifty jack pads (thanks to the forum) in position and raise the car. The jack pads come with a diagram of where the lift points are.:biggrin

I NEVER allow anyone else to do this without me bing present and, usually, doing the work myself.

I keep the jack pads in the car at all times in case I need them while out with the car. I have had three nails in rear tires. I replace the tire rather than repair it unless I am out and have no option. I then replace the tire at the earliest opportunity

Big Dog

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
Tire still holding pressure (30psi), but if I remove the nail, most likely I'll lose air, is it best to remove the wheel/tire form the car (which I'd have to figure out a way to do this)and have it repaired somewhere , or just take the car into a tire shop ? I'm afraid the tire shop may not know how to lift the car. Any suggestions will be appreciated :thumbsup

VERY IMPORTANT! Once you get the wheel off the car make sure the tire shop has a GOOD machine. One that can break the bead without touching the outer rim. The ones I've seen use a large plastic wheel to do this. Also make sure they understand to set up the machine to clamp the bottom of the rim from the outside. The easy way would be for them to clamp from inside the rim. These clamps have teeth and bite into the rim to hold it but leave sharp teeth marks on the inner rim when done. This makes it a real pain later to wipe/clean the inside of the wheel. I learned this the hard way on my Lambo rims! :ack

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I use these for getting the car high enough to put the jack under the car:

http://www.raceramps.com/rollups.html

And add larger set that I back up onto to complete oil changes and such:

http://www.raceramps.com/xtenders.html

And do not fear the lift point centered on each side of the car that raises the entire side of the car; have someone show you where it is and that's the only place you'll ever use again. Mainly I say this as to be safe, typically one doesn't want the jack holding up the car while working on it; and the only way to get a jack stand in there is to lift at the spot about 10 inches in front of the rear door seam then you put a jack stand on either or both front and back lift points.

Pete S.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks folks, lots of useful tips, I appreciate all the responses. :thumbsup. Good that Kendall at Cool Tech came to my rescue after seiing this post as I have non of the proper tools to tackle this nail, thanks again :cheers

Last edited:

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Kendall is ALWAYS your trustworthy local go 2 :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jack points are listed and shown in the Owner's Manual and at the very front of the Service manual.

Viper, Neilda had some great ramps made by Aston.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Jack points are listed and shown in the Owner's Manual and at the very front of the Service manual.

'Don't have either manual anymore or I'd check first, but, wasn't it pointed out here on the Forum sometime back that the manuals actually show the lift points in the wrong locations?