my warranty is up, 43,343 miles

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
i drive my gt every day, any questions re; oil change, transaxel lubricant change, speedometer problem, or transaxel bolts shearing from passenger side, i have replaced mine twice ....

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
ther is no extended warranty after 36,000 miles

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
WOW! Welcome and congrats on the joy of driving all those miles. Those are the most I've seen todate.:thumbsup Is the car still tight? How is it holding up in general?

Again, Welcome!

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
normal driving, i have replaced rear wheels twice, about 17,000. miles each time, oil change every 4000.00 miles, castrol 5w 50, front tires are originals, soon to be replaced.... 800hp 500ft/lbs with modifications... love the car ...... 14-16mpg, i finally figuerd out how to fuel car w/out fuel nozzle from pump not tripping every .60 cents....top speed 195mph interstate 10 quartzsite-phoenix......re: transaxel, car will be disabled.... do not panic if this happens

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Welcome and thanks for posting. Hope to hear more from you and your GT experiences.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My rears lasted 5,000 only - I guess I could have got maybe another 2,000 out at pinch.

That either says something about my driving or yours! :cheers

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
normal driving, i have replaced rear wheels twice

You're referring to the rubber tires right? If so, 17,000 miles seems outstanding.

Or are the wheels not structurally sound?

Just want to be sure.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
43,343 miles

WOW ............ congratulations.:thumbsup

How long have you your GT?

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Axle bolts

How many times have you changed your half-shaft bolts?
Preventive maint or for cause?
Which sides?
High mileage data on this issue is very valuable. Thanks for posting.

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
axle bolts

passenger side rear wheel that is where two axle bolts are connected by rod, bolts sheared twice, once at 11,000.00 miles, once at 41,000.00 miles, warrranty covered first, second i replaced... $177.00 bolts and washer, transaxel seal $45.00, 4.5 quarts gear lubricant $9.00 each....
1.loosen lug nuts rear passenger tire 2. raise car 3. remove tire 4.remove air filter assembly to create space to work. 5. remove 6 bolts universal shaft. 6. remove positive battery post,, front of car. 7.remove transaxel gasket. 8 remove trans axel clip. 9. clean and inspect bolts. 10. remove bolts with vise grips.. if not able then use tap and die...... 11. center punch bolt to create a straight drill bit entry, used angle drill,,,, not enough space to work. 12. drill bit must be titanium drill bit and you must drill at least 1/2 inch or die will brake........

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Clarification

Thanks very much for the info Climaxgt-!! You certainly seem to be the high mileage KING.

Now let me see if I interpert you post correctly.... (and ask a few more questions)

You have replaced the pass side half shaft axle bolts (two M5 bolts with internal socket head) twice, once at 11K and a second time at 41K miles.

1)Were the bolt heads broken in both instinces rendering the GT inoperative?

2)Have you replaced or checked the driver side bolts?

3)For the replacement hardware at 11/41K, was the Ford "upgrade" kit used in both instances?

4)Do you recall the color of the washer originally installed on your GT when the first change out at 11K was made?

5)Did you have to use vice-grips to remove the broken bolts from the transaxle output shaft in both change outs? Or did you really have to drill out the remaining bolt portion in the output shaft?

6)Do you have any of the failed hardware?

Thanks for the info!