My Rally Experience

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello all,

I wanted to take a minute and talk about my week out in Austin, Texas. I must say the Texas Rally wasn’t exactly what I expected…. It was much better! Being my first GT rally, I didn’t quite know what to expect really. I’ve been to countless Automotive rallies/meets/expos but this was much different.

I arrived late unfortunately to Tuesday night’s dinner had to unload the GT and change after driving 14 hours from florida w/ the truck and trailer. I arrived roughly around 8 pm, where everyone was already seated and enjoying their salads/appetizers. I looked around the room only to recognize NO ONE! Being one of the “Young Guns”, I was wondering how easy it would be to fit right in and be welcomed. To my surprise, I was blessed with the openness and warm welcomes right off the bat. You don’t find this with any other car group. I often read the forums about how wonderful the GT family is, but haven’t posted much, and until now haven’t seen first hand. It’s truly impressive how together and friendly everyone is.

Parking down in the garage the first time, it was equally impressive. So many GT’s of all colors and modifications. Each represent a personality trait of their owner. The GT Owners aren’t afraid to give their own personal tweaks to their vehicles. Something you don’t see often on this caliber vehicle. As a great man recently said (*cough* Shadowman *cough*), “Egos are not a component of this group but rather self confidence”…I couldn’t agree more. I didn’t meet one egotistical GT owner, but I did meet several very proud ones, almost father like, as they should be. I feel like now I need to design more products/modifications so I don’t have such a plain White w/ blue stripes GT parked in the garage after staring at all of yours!

I tried my best to consume myself into as many conversations as possible. To those who I didn’t have the opportunity to speak, my apologies. But to those who I did, Thank you. I had a great time speaking with all of you. Being an engineer myself, I enjoyed lengthy chats with Camilo, Jamal, and Mark about various technical discussions; opportunities that would have never been possible without the Rally’s existence. My only regret is not taking more pictures, so I will be enjoying peeking at everyone elses pictures they post along the way.

Special thanks to Dave and Francesca. You guys are great, it’s not easy putting on an event like this. Chip Beck, many thanks to you as well. I didnt know Bony, but I could surely tell how important he was to this community. I could sit here for days on end typing about all the great people and stories, but in short, it was a pleasure meeting everyone. :cheers

In closing, I must post my favorite picture I snapped at the rally.

4027239690_f18b69f9a0_b.jpg

I look forward to future events, and hope to see many of you new friends in the coming months. But for now, I have to go wash hundreds of dead insects off the GT!

Regards,
Steve Mason

P.S. DBK please don’t forget to fix my PM’s! and change my user title too if you can when you’re not too busy thanks! :thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Steve - I really enjoyed meeting you. Even better - you are a fellow Jacksonville person !

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Steve, I told you over two years ago when we met by accident on that desolate New Mexican roadway that you MUST attend a Ford GT rally. I was delighted to meet up with you again at this rally, and hope to see you at other events. You are welcome to visit us in Phoenix anytime! (Or Ohio if you come in the summer!)

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Mase
Good to meet you at Tues night dinner and then share some drinks Thurs nite before folks split up for dinner.

PS you need to change your status to GT Owner.

Jack

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great meeting you Steve. Had fun crusin Texas with you... Stay in touch. If you ever make it out to California let me know!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Steve,
As a Jacksonville, engineer sorry I missed you.
I look forward to meeting you at our next Forum get together!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It was a pleasure meeting you Steve and I look forward to hearing and seeing more of you!:cheers
Dave