My latest garage queen...(pics)

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I just acquired a '65 Cobra (Superformance). I have not seen it in person yet, but they say it's a beast and bites. I don't doubt it one bit.
Roush 427 IR engine w/565hp/550tq - 315/35/17 rear wheels.

Last edited:

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
What a stunning car. Is the gearshift shorter because they sed a Windsor instead if a side oiler?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had that engine in my cobra. Depending on when it was made if it has the accel dfi controller expect problems at high altitudes. It is a long story that I documented on www.clubcobra.com

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Sweet looking ride. As a prior Cobra owner, take care getting out of the car, or you could get "snake bit." Take care to step away from the side pipe as when you stand up and your leg comes back toward the car, and you could get burned. It never happened to me in 14 yrs of ownership, but did happen to folks I knew or gave rides to as they "forgot." Enjoy. People who think Harleys are loud have never been close to a 427 Cobra wrapped out.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Oooo. That's pretty. Congrats on the pickup.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I'm really just getting into the Cobra world at this time. I know the shifter is optional, it says so in the build sheet.
I have never driven a Cobra. This is a 2005 car. Don't feel much for the roll bar, it's the "race" roll bar option.
I really liked the other car they had in the store (darker blue and single roll bar), but it got sold before I made my decision.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Wellcome and congratulations.

Take care with your right foot.

IMG_0180.jpg

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
The SPF cobras are a thing of beauty , lots of fun and lots of power

Attachments

• SPF 1698-1.jpg
    SPF 1698-1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 728

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Congrats! Looks pristine.

'71 Mach1 didn't work out?

Tony...ROCK would have to drive 600+ miles to get to the highest point in Florida...345'. :)

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Look very nice. Awesome combo of color and setup! Would love to have one here in Denmark but paying the registration taxes on a "new" replica would be astronomical .....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Congratulations, beautiful car. With the 17" wheels and full roll bar, your car is set up to really run. I love the color.

I suggest you remove the wheels and apply anti-seize paste to the wheel/hub mating surface and spinner threads unless you know it has been correctly done recently. From what I can see in the pictures, the drilled spinner ear is wired to the spoke directly beneath it. You should wire the ear so that the wire is angled away from the ear. This will provide more strength and make a visual inspection much easier. Remember, right hand threads on the driver side and left hand threads on the passenger side. An easy way to remember is that the spinners always tighten towards the rear of the car (opposite direction of wheel travel).

This car will provide you with a completely different driving experience.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice family !!!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have an SPF Cobra with a large big block 1996 build.
Great car but Viper like in it's ability to bite you.
Exercise care with the throttle until you learn the limits.
Congrats!
Best,
Mark

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
"Great car but Viper like in it's ability to bite you." LOL. After owning a Viper for about 5 years, I think the term as very apropos. I think Cobra's were probably the inspiration for the Viper. I love my Viper, but it seems it just wants to kill me all the time.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I used Vaseline on my wheel/hubs every two years so they don't gall. Need protection for aluminum/steel. Always wire spinners. My AC Mark IV was set up the same .

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Cobra was absolutely the inspiration for the Viper. While it would not be correct to say the Viper was his baby, Shelby was heavily involved with the Viper. He was already collaborating with Chrysler on the Omni, Lancer, Dakota, etc. when Lutz came to him with the Viper concept.

The cars that are the most dangerous are always more fun. lol
They certainly make you a better driver.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Thank you all. I will receive this car probably next week. I have lots to learn about the car and I wish we had a Cobra section on this forum as many GT owners have had, have or will have one in their stable at some point. This is the description of the car as I copy pasted from the sales add:
Custom built by famed Olthoff Racing. Under the hood: Roush 427IR engine [delivers 583 hp, 544 ft/lbs.], outfitted with top-end componentry: 'Weber-look' electronic fuel injection [individual 8-stack, K&N], ceramic-coated headers & sidepipes, Roushblack-finned cast-aluminum valve covers. Roushribbed/polished valve covers... the finest of everything! Geartrain: upgraded "C" clutch assembly, 5-speed 5008 Tremec transmission, posi-trac IRS. Chassis, suspension, brakes: fully-independent suspension with unequal-length A-arms and lower control arms, double wishbone front suspension, Bilstein shocks with H&R springs, front & rear custom swaybars, Wilwood brakes, silver-ceramic–coated exhaust, chromed quick jacks, full-width rollbar. Rolling stock: 17” Halibrand-reproduction wheels shod with BF Goodrich KD rubber. In the [Legend-correct] cockpit: Smiths gauges, premium German black leather seats, ample amount of legroom, 4-point shoulder harnesses, leather wrapped Moto-Lita leather-wrapped steering wheel. Heater & defroster, Smiths gauges arrayed in SC layout [with 'correct' reverse-winding speedometer, Lucas toggle switches, original-style AC pedals, Superformance floormats, car cover and soft top. 18-gallon [68-liter] fuel cell.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

This is my fave shot:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
My car was built by Olthoff as well.
It was our great pleasure to spend time with Bob and his family before he passed.
The man had a very interesting life.
We picked up the car in NC and drove it back to NY, no roof, windows, spare, or cares.
A drive that my wife and myself will always remember.
Reminds me that it's our anniversary today.
Married to the best person I know!
Enjoy your car.
Like the GT, it's a lifestyle thing.
Best,
Mark