My GT is plastic coated

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
I just had Modern Image in San Diego cover the entire front of my GT with 3M's latest plastic product. I mean even the fenders and hood. They also applied it to the leading edge of the roof, side air ducts, side mirrors, the entire rocker panels up to the Ford GT decal, behind the rear wheels, below the rear bumper and on a section of the rear bumper edges.

The only piece they didn't do was the inside of the front "phoney" brake ducts. Does anyone know how to remove them per chance?

They did a masterful job...but high gross.

There was a black Carrera GT in their shop that was completely covered in plastic...I mean not one painted surface left undone. Not a bad idea as that is one black car you can just wipe off and never worry about a swirl mark or scratch.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Back in the day.....

early 70's that is, I used to be a Pontiac dealer and we sold lots of Trans Am's with giant plastic Firebird stickers on the hoods. The bird sticker would come off clean with a hair dryer for about the first year. But as the cars got some sun those plastic Firebirds hardened and etched the paint. After three years they could only be removed by grinding them off and repainting the hood. Just about any plastic sticker including bumper stickers can only be left on for so long before it damages the paint. Is this stuff different and are there any multi year studies that show it won't harden and damage the paint?? :confused

Chip

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My experience is that the appearance of the plastic degrades with time and becomes unsightly with age - especially on dark colors. It still does its job, but looks bad IMO.

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
Enrico's shop is the best. He did a great job on my GT. Worth the $$$'s.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
I have had the 3M material on my SL65 for 18 months and it looks great. Enrico says the newer material is even better. It is much clearer i.e. not the slightest bit of yellow tint. If the paint on the car is a quality job the paint should not peel when the film is removed.

ChipBeck...A 70's decal is not a 2006 high quality 3M film, but there are probably no long term studies. Stone chips on the front end of my dark blue GT would drive me nuts though

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
How does one make contact with Enrico? Does he ever do installations outside San Diego, like in LA? Any contact info would be appreciated.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Plastic sofa covers someone ?

That sounds great ! Just like Grandma's sofas, all covered in plastic... :lol
But jokes apart, I think the 3M stuff is great against stoes on the front, but covering it all in the hot California sun, might be taking chances if you stay out in the sun for long. I think Chip is right, might be worthwhile to get from 3M something about longterm effects, and get it in writing... !

stefan

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
sandiegored said:
Enrico's shop is the best. He did a great job on my GT. Worth the $$$'s.

And what would be that $$$, ballpark?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
sandiegored

How long was the installation? Can you get it done in one day's trip from LA to SD and back.

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
Bart,

depends on how much of the car you want to cover.

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
AtomicGT said:
sandiegored

How long was the installation? Can you get it done in one day's trip from LA to SD and back.

AtomicGT,

It should take a couple of days if you want to have more than just the nose done. Call Enrico and ask him. He is very easy to deal with.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Had four white cars with the various types and thicknesses. All became rock pocked, all disclored, I will never use the plastic again. The only thing that works is a bra, got a color matched one with mini bras for my mirrors.
Of course in Fresno it gets hot and this may make a difference.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Just talked to Enrico. He sounds very professional, basically does an entire frontal wrap, air scoops, rockers etc. Takes 3 days. Car has to be there in Miramar for 3 days. So that is the only inconvenience if you live out of the area. Major hike for Me, West LA to Miramar and back twice.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Takes 3 days.

You mean you just don't poke the front of the car into it and then un-roll it toward the rear of the car. Wait a minute, maybe I read that for the shifter boot. I AM SO CONFUSED!

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
I understand it is not the most convenient. However, I know you will be satisfied if you have him do it. If you want and we can coordinate, I can run you to the train station after you drop it off.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
sandiegored

Now that is a mode of transportation I didn't even consider! Take the train back to LA, makes tremendous sense. There is a place just over the hill from my house in Sherman Oaks, Stickercity.com I chatted today with. They have either 3M or Ventura plastic, they recommended Ventura. Would need the car for a couple of days. Literally 10 miles away. Price is about the same as Enrico. What to do, What to do??? :willy

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
It's a no brainer

Enrico's the guy. Go elsewhere and you may be sorry. It ain't brain surgery but if you needed brain surgery would you go to the best or the closest? If you say "closest" then you may need surgery :biggrin

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Rong,

I do surgery, so I know of what you speak! Enrico is the man, How often does the train leave from Del Mar to downtown LA? Have you ever taken it? How long a ride. Got to plan this out for work etc. Enrico said he has a place in Huntington Beach, but he wasn't too optomistic about that doing the kind of job a GT requires. 3 Days, man three days without the GT is an eternity. Took me forty years to get one !

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
You leave from Solana Beach since the station from Del Mar is closed. Go to www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/wc_sd_n.html for schedule, about a 2 hr. ride. Let me know if I can help you with a ride. I know what you mean, just had an oil change on mine and I definitely missed seeing it in the garage. But I agree with Rong, why take the risk with someone else when you have a guaranteed result with a little inconvenience.