My Ford GT parked next to my Nissan GT-R

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I test drove a low mileage 2009 GT-R the other day, that appeared to my untrained GT-R eye to be in excellent physical condition.

All my life and I've never owned a Japanese car. Lots of motorcycles, but never a car. After a decent amount of research, I felt maybe this should be a good candidate. And room for four (well, sort of).

Definitely a firm ride, even on comfort setting. Which is fine, I drive a modified Dinan MINI Cooper S as a daily, so I can handle and appreciate a performance tuned suspension.

What was a big surprise to me, was all the mechanical noises. Honestly, it sounds like a tractor inside. The diffs changing, the firm suspension, the engine, it's like sensory overload inside. Popped the hood later and everything sounded mechanically fine.

On the street, it really felt like you could drive this thing as fast as physics would allow, actually faster. (Theoretically, of course). I mean, it seems like so much fun that it could be insanely fast.

I really wanted to get one badly, mostly, just to annoy Sam (haha). But I was really surprised by the mechanical rawness (at least as I perceived it). Again, I have never owned a Japanese car and don't have much knowledge or experience. And this is not intended to detract from the car, just to share my personal opinion. Also, I understand that the 2012's specifically address some of these areas. (noise, comfort)

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I test drove a low mileage 2009 GT-R the other day, that appeared to my untrained GT-R eye to be in excellent physical condition.

All my life and I've never owned a Japanese car. Lots of motorcycles, but never a car. After a decent amount of research, I felt maybe this should be a good candidate. And room for four (well, sort of).

Definitely a firm ride, even on comfort setting. Which is fine, I drive a modified Dinan MINI Cooper S as a daily, so I can handle and appreciate a performance tuned suspension.

What was a big surprise to me, was all the mechanical noises. Honestly, it sounds like a tractor inside. The diffs changing, the firm suspension, the engine, it's like sensory overload inside. Popped the hood later and everything sounded mechanically fine.

On the street, it really felt like you could drive this thing as fast as physics would allow, actually faster. (Theoretically, of course). I mean, it seems like so much fun that it could be insanely fast.

I really wanted to get one badly, mostly, just to annoy Sam (haha). But I was really surprised by the mechanical rawness (at least as I perceived it). Again, I have never owned a Japanese car and don't have much knowledge or experience. And this is not intended to detract from the car, just to share my personal opinion. Also, I understand that the 2012's specifically address some of these areas. (noise, comfort)

I think you are right on. 09's definitely had noises and the later years addressed some of the issues but not all of them. Actually, the engine and exhaust is so quiet so you do hear a lot. Most of the gtr owners have changed exhausts which louden the car quite a bit.

It is the rawest japanese car I can think of.

H

HHGT

You and Jim annoy me enough driving your Minis, using your Apples and loving BMWs

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
You and Jim annoy me enough driving your Minis, using your Apples and loving BMWs

But, I think we want to annoy you more than just enough.

:)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Yes, we should all park our BMWs in front of Sam's house!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I too would probably have a GTR along with my GT, but I can't afford it.
I do however drive a 370-Z Sport to work. It handles great, is comfortable, has good performance and cost half what a GTR cost.

Of course it only goes 0-60 in 4.7 seconds...not 2.9...

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA

Well count me in... Baby is due tomorrow but I think I'm going to go check out a '12 Black Edition GT-R at Glendale Nissan this afternoon. Delivery of the baby vs. delivery of the car!!!! Hummm.... Decisions... decisions....
BTW when I had the EVO X w/ the twin clutch trans, it also made a lot of noises, especially before the car came to a stop, I could hear something like the clutch disengaging (be sure not to apply throttle at this time or the trans won't buck like a bronco) but after a while, once I got used to and knew that's how the car worked, those sounds became very bearable. BTW I saw on the other forum this one guy just posted a Vbox run of 60-130 MPH in 3.33 seconds. That's insane time, the fastest I remember seeing for a "street" car. But HHGT, I promise I won't get a Bimmer any time soon.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
David,
Your GT-R has a very nice stance, is it at stock ride height?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
You have a big garage!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I regularly track my GTR .To make the Gtr track worthy you must do a few things.
trans cooler
front and rear diff coolers
racing fluids diff, trans , brakes.
Racing brake pads.Seats Recaro sportster cs,Harnesses.
It takes some technique adjustment ,but once you adapt its pretty unbelievable!
I was at Limerock this past Friday and Saturday.The only car I couldn’t lap was a 996 cup car .I did keep up with him ,but he was a half a second a lap faster.Still it was pretty good though.He couldn’t believe it.
I did however make some people realize just how good this car really is!
On a more exciting note .It was my sons first High performance driving school ! I think I was more excited for him than he was! Well I must say he did a great job !He was smooth and drove a real nice line around the track.I had a friend and x competitor instruct him.I did go out with him on his last run.I was very impressed ! I was more relived to see that he got my driving genes and not my wifes!
He said he had one of the greatest days of his life !He was so pumped he actually talked to me the whole way home for 2.5 hours.Didn’t even put his headphones on once!He was to busy looking for more driving events to sign up for!
But I must say I am really looking forward to getting my Laguna Seca this week!

This is worth watching
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-11...-Episode-4.htm
bonus video
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=1057426306001
here is just the stig segment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CuFkzSQSmik

Quick google of MSRP's for the list:

$230,000 1:15.1 - Ariel Atom 500 V8
$229,000 1:16.2 - McLaren MP4-12C
$2,400,000 1:16.8 - Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
$500,000 1:17.1 - Gumpert Apollo S
$650,000 1:17.3 - Ascari A10
$650,000 1:17.6 - Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear Wing)
$330,000 1:17.7 - Noble M600 (cold)
$89,950 1:17.8 - Nissan GTR (MY2011)
$660,000 1:17.8 - Pagani Zonda Roadster F
$67,000 1:17.9 - Caterham Seven Superlight R500 (cold)
$1,200,000 1:18.3 - Bugatti Veyron 16.4
$660,000 1:18.4 - Pagani Zonda F
$770,000 1:18.9 - Maserati MC12
$455,000 1:19.0 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 SuperVeloce
$670,000 1:19.0 - Enzo Ferrari
$225,000 1:19.1 - Ferrari 458 Italia
$205,000 1:19.5 - Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
$191,700 1:19.5 - Porsche 997 GT2
$50,000 1:19.5 - Ariel Atom 2 300
$69,850 1:19.7 - Nissan GT-R
$300,000 1:19.7 - Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Well count me in... Baby is due tomorrow but I think I'm going to go check out a '12 Black Edition GT-R at Glendale Nissan this afternoon. Delivery of the baby vs. delivery of the car!!!! Hummm.... Decisions... decisions....
BTW when I had the EVO X w/ the twin clutch trans, it also made a lot of noises, especially before the car came to a stop, I could hear something like the clutch disengaging (be sure not to apply throttle at this time or the trans won't buck like a bronco) but after a while, once I got used to and knew that's how the car worked, those sounds became very bearable. BTW I saw on the other forum this one guy just posted a Vbox run of 60-130 MPH in 3.33 seconds. That's insane time, the fastest I remember seeing for a "street" car. But HHGT, I promise I won't get a Bimmer any time soon.

You too now... Geez!

BTW Bruce, I dont have your new cell # Please PM and congrats on becoming a new Dad. Please post pix.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Thank you Sam and PM sent. BTW, I went to the dealer this afternoon and basically wanted to try the Recaros in the Black Edition and those seats are a perfect fit for me. The car had a $25K mark-up, I offered MSRP but the best they could do was $5K over so I decided to pass on it as I'm sure the prices will come down when more Black editions become available.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
David,
Your GT-R has a very nice stance, is it at stock ride height?

It is stock ride height. The only thing I did was paint the bottom panels silver (they are usually black) which I think makes the car appear lower....... I have seen them lowered and the wheels pushed out with spacers and I really think that makes the car look nice but I have hesitated to do anything to modify for fear of voiding out the warranty. There are lots of nightmares with Nissan around this.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I regularly track my GTR .To make the Gtr track worthy you must do a few things.
trans cooler
front and rear diff coolers
racing fluids diff, trans , brakes.
Racing brake pads.Seats Recaro sportster cs,Harnesses.
It takes some technique adjustment ,but once you adapt its pretty unbelievable!
I was at Limerock this past Friday and Saturday.The only car I couldn’t lap was a 996 cup car .I did keep up with him ,but he was a half a second a lap faster.Still it was pretty good though.He couldn’t believe it.
I did however make some people realize just how good this car really is!
On a more exciting note .It was my sons first High performance driving school ! I think I was more excited for him than he was! Well I must say he did a great job !He was smooth and drove a real nice line around the track.I had a friend and x competitor instruct him.I did go out with him on his last run.I was very impressed ! I was more relived to see that he got my driving genes and not my wifes!
He said he had one of the greatest days of his life !He was so pumped he actually talked to me the whole way home for 2.5 hours.Didn’t even put his headphones on once!He was to busy looking for more driving events to sign up for!
But I must say I am really looking forward to getting my Laguna Seca this week!

This is worth watching
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-11...-Episode-4.htm
bonus video
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=1057426306001
here is just the stig segment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CuFkzSQSmik

Quick google of MSRP's for the list:

$230,000 1:15.1 - Ariel Atom 500 V8
$229,000 1:16.2 - McLaren MP4-12C
$2,400,000 1:16.8 - Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
$500,000 1:17.1 - Gumpert Apollo S
$650,000 1:17.3 - Ascari A10
$650,000 1:17.6 - Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear Wing)
$330,000 1:17.7 - Noble M600 (cold)
$89,950 1:17.8 - Nissan GTR (MY2011)
$660,000 1:17.8 - Pagani Zonda Roadster F
$67,000 1:17.9 - Caterham Seven Superlight R500 (cold)
$1,200,000 1:18.3 - Bugatti Veyron 16.4
$660,000 1:18.4 - Pagani Zonda F
$770,000 1:18.9 - Maserati MC12
$455,000 1:19.0 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 SuperVeloce
$670,000 1:19.0 - Enzo Ferrari
$225,000 1:19.1 - Ferrari 458 Italia
$205,000 1:19.5 - Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
$191,700 1:19.5 - Porsche 997 GT2
$50,000 1:19.5 - Ariel Atom 2 300
$69,850 1:19.7 - Nissan GT-R
$300,000 1:19.7 - Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Thanks for the post. I am planning to track mine stock for the first time on Aug 27th. I am going to spend half the day with the gtr and the other half with the gt. Will let everyone know how it goes

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Thank you Sam and PM sent. BTW, I went to the dealer this afternoon and basically wanted to try the Recaros in the Black Edition and those seats are a perfect fit for me. The car had a $25K mark-up, I offered MSRP but the best they could do was $5K over so I decided to pass on it as I'm sure the prices will come down when more Black editions become available.

Try NAGTROC.com. Its the gtr forum, there are some dealers posting on the site with better prices. Congrats on baby.. I have 3 and they are wonderful