My First Survivor - 64 Vette Roadster

H

HHGT

This is my first survivor - 48 years and completely unmolested. The lacquer paint shows some dulling and the seams are barely visible, but I don't care - I feel emancipated from having a perfect shiny paint job. I am loving the Petina, the smell and the character of driving Americana mostly. Doors shut perfectly, signals, lights and horn work just like the day they left the factory. The 327/300 purrs like a kitten and the 4 Spd shifts without any issues. No rear end howl, no smoke from the tail pipes and the original am/pm radio surprisingly works. All numbers/castings/tags decoded to be original to the car, even the shock absorbers are as great as the day they left the dealership. The interior is just unbelievable, no pitting, no tears no wear marks anywhere. The headlights are the original T3s, geez where do I stop!

There is light surface rust in the engine bay and chassis as the car lived in Santa Barbara its entire life, heck even the chalk marks from the assembly plant are still visible on the frame. The only thing not original to the car is the exhaust and mufflers replaced with correct reproductions. Next year I plan on sending it to Bloomington to get her certified as a Survivor and that is the way she will stay. The pink slip (title) is original and it breaks my heart to turn it in to the DMV to get it retitled. I guess I will just scan it - Sigh!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 534
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 332
H

HHGT

more

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 343
  • P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_8260.jpg
    IMG_8260.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 314

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Congrats to you! She looks like a beauty.
How many miles on it?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Congratulations that is a beauty. I'm not a fan of the new Corvettes but the old ones sure are sweet looking.

It's too bad the DMVs won't let you keep the original titles. It would seem they would have a way (uniformly, across all 50 states) to "void" them and return it to you with your new title. I scanned my Cobra and FGT titles and the Mustang MSOs before I sent them in.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The car looks great!

Are you going to add an iPod interface to the probably vacuum tube driven radio? :lol

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
.............I'll get my wash rag...........

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Awesome car. I love that look from the rear. Timeless . Congrats

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Sweet Sam.... let me know when you go to Champaign...... nice pick up

BTW - original teak wood wheel I see also!

The car looks great!

Are you going to add an iPod interface to the probably vacuum tube driven radio? :lol

.... when my wunderbar radio was rebuilt from the 65- I did just that! :rofl

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Very Nice. Congrats.

I asked to keep old titles. and the DMV lady handed me the original title back.

Doesn't hurt to try. Or ask the seller to get a replacment/lost title for the transfer of ownership process.

H

HHGT

Congrats to you! She looks like a beauty.
How many miles on it?

39,217 miles. My 13 yr old went with me for a drive, stopped at the Fire Station and hung out with the gear heads.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sweet!!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Epic

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you're going to come to IL, let me know. Close to me (150 miles). Gino was here and never said anything, so missed opportunity.

H

HHGT

If you're going to come to IL, let me know. Close to me (150 miles). Gino was here and never said anything, so missed opportunity.

Will do. Do you think we should invite Mike?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, he has to come from NC and then there wouldn't be enough beer for us.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Sam, now this 63 looks good!!!!

John

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Beautiful.

Do you get to keep the black plates? (on the car that is)

H

HHGT

Sam, now this 63 looks good!!!!

John

Its a 64 John and thank you once again for your efforts last week, I really appreciate it.

H

HHGT

Beautiful.

Do you get to keep the black plates? (on the car that is)

Absolutely.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Absolutely.

That's great.

When I give up ownership of a car I keep the plates so I have less of a potential problems that may come from use of the car by the new owner.