My first HPDE with my FGT. Need Advice.

Johnneymax

GT Owner
Oct 31, 2011
New Jersey
Hi,

I am entering my first NASA HDPE 1 event in NJ at the end of this month with my FGT. I am a novice. I had tires, brakes, exhaust, transaxle cooling, 5 point seat belts, fire extinguisher, and air flow work done to my GT by Ida Automative.

I have a brand new helmet and Hans device. (Is a Hans device overkill?)

What type of numbers should I run on the FGT? I was thinking static.

Do I need to bring filters, oil, etc?

Any advice on what to expect or items I should bring would be very much appreciated. I am an absolute beginner and welcome any feedback.

Regards,

John

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Hi,

I am entering my first NASA HDPE 1 event in NJ at the end of this month with my FGT. I am a novice. I had tires, brakes, exhaust, transaxle cooling, 5 point seat belts, fire extinguisher, and air flow work done to my GT by Ida Automative.

Any advice on what to expect or items I should bring would be very much appreciated. I am an absolute beginner and welcome any feedback.

Regards,

John

Tums

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

John
Hi John,
"Numbers", "static"? Like ah, rpm, engine temperatures, octane, MPH, pressures, lap times, etc, etc. What do you mean? There are a number of numbers associated with the FGT.

Filters and oil----NO.

Actually when I started HPD in the FGT as a novice (probably still am) the car in stock, as delivered form, wayyyyy exceeded my driving ability. The OE tires and brakes are certainly reasonable for this caliper supercar. Not that they cannot be improved upon which many have done, but the as delivered components are certainly adequate for a beginning HPD participant. Just riding around the track with Ford development drivers McGowan (Tier IV) and Martindale in an OE Ford GT can certainly show you how much performance Ford put into the car.

I think you are certainly prepared. Just go out and start to enjoy what the car has for you.

Then plan on attending the annual rally (New Orleans this year) for two full track days with Ford factory drivers in attendance and other very experienced track driving owners to share their knowledge.

Enjoy!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi,

Regards,

John

- Your Clutch fluid and brake fluid should be fresh.
- Air Filters should be at the mid or lower end of their mileage life cycle
- Your motor oil should not be near the end of it's life cycle and should be checked for the proper levels.
- You should have at least 50% to 60% of your brake pad material left.
- Clean your glass for max viability. -
- Remove your wiper arms.. this is a 5 minute job. Helps visibility tremendously.

With the exception of the wiper arms The above should be done before you go. You are not going to have time for major service items at the track. If you are running the stock good year tires run the recommenced cold tire pressures.

Johnneymax

GT Owner
Oct 31, 2011
New Jersey
Great thank you for the advice. I was referring to static cling stickers instead of vinyl stickers for putting the required numbers on. Sorry for the confusion.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
You will have a great time.
I've used both static and vinyl, they both work great.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Adding what's been said...,
The first 2 laps of EACH run-session only drive up to 7/10 of your ability to allow the tires to get up to tempt and for your senses to adjust.
Remind yourself, as a newbie, when new to the sport and the specific track, "speed and HP" are not your friend yet. These things come with seat-time. Just concentrate on learning the lines and techniques.
Don't lift in mid-turn (i'm not talking about recovery moves from an understeer situation), the car has much higher capacity than what most drivers think.

Be safe, have fun, and drive the GT home in the same condition as when you leave the house in the morning. You'll have a great time!!

GTED

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

John

No, it's very cheap life insurance. Dale Earnhardt and Ayrton Senna might both be alive today if they had been wearing one.

Chip

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
All the above is sound advice for sure. A few things:

1) First sessions, don't push the car too hard. It is OK to be slow. Learn your lines. Work on your foot placement for heel/toe. You want to come home with a damage free car. Don't worry about being as fast as the guy in front of you or behind. Be quick to wave others by.

2) Listen to your instructor. He/she is going to have a lot more experience than you do. Try to get a different instructor for different sessions because you can learn a lot of information.

3) Work on being smooth in transitions and corners. Don't worry about being fast in a straight line. The car is fast. Accelerate and brake in straight lines.

4) When coming in the paddock, shut the car off. DON'T SET YOUR E-brake. It will ruin your rear calipers. Open the clam shell to let heat out. Check your oil level between run groups but that's probably all the car will need.

5) Drink plenty of fluids

6) HAVE A GREAT TIME!

ben

Johnneymax

GT Owner
Oct 31, 2011
New Jersey
Great advice and I agree. I am very comfortable with the fact that I am a novice and that I have loads to learn. Thanks again to all that commented.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Take a sun protecting (wide brim) hat for when you are standing around on a Hot tarmac waiting your turn.

Don't ask how I know this...... :bored

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The GT is magical on the track. You will be the center of attention, no matter what else shows up. Don't let it go to your head. This car has no nannies to keep you in line. It's remarkably friendly at breakneck speeds but they don't call em breakneck speeds for nothing. Get loose, drive with your fingers and play some good music.

Have fun bud, your gonna love it!

Johnneymax

GT Owner
Oct 31, 2011
New Jersey
Good point Fubar, I can imagine the FGT getting its share of attention. However, I want the opposite since I am brand new. I was thinking maybe I should dress as a bush or shrub and try to blend in with the scenery.

2112, thanks for the advice. I am bold as a bat. Have hat will travel.

JMK

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Lots of good advice from all. The main thing to keep in mind is “This is not a race”, there will not be a trophy, pretty girl to kiss you and no one knows who is in the lead at the end of the session. Your goal is to have fun and your reword is to bring you beautiful GT home the way you took it, in one undamaged piece.

Things I have learned
1. If someone is on your rear just let them by, there car is not faster than yours but they are driving a better line. Let them pass and see what they are doing better. Bad thing about taking your GT to the track is that everyone wants to go home and say they passed a FORD GT and they drive over the line to try and do it, big deal let them go.
2. Always keep your eyes way out in front. This is why a kid on their first bicycle ride wobbles all over the place, they are watching their front tire and react to fast. Once you start looking ahead things smooth out and you are ready for the next obstacle as it comes up and your natural skills/ability will take over.
3. If you feel like you are driving out of control you probably are. Slow down and get comfortable with the car and track.
4. Drink lots of water, dehydration is a big problem and can sneak up on you.
5. #1, have fun, have fun, have fun and remember “This is not a race”

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I did my first HPDE with NASA. Maybe they have better instructors on the East coast. They stuck me with a Corvette guy who did nothing but bitch and little instruction since they don't have any mid-engine trained guys. The other thing I didn't like, in the beginner group, you're on the track with a lot of old beat up cars, a run-what-ya-brung type class. DON'T let these pinheads intimidate you that their cars are faster or they are better drivers. They give you passing rules but some of these people don't comply. So what if they wreck their 80's mustang. NASA is a good organization, but be careful of who is on the track with you and pay attention to the cars around you. I tend to go slower around the track (no wisecracks from the peanut gallery here) just to have more space to experiment with the car.

Provided your car is teched OK, the most important thing is don't lift off the gas in a turn because the back end will come around (oversteer). Watch your temp gauge and pull in if it goes into limp mode.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
taking off the rear license plate let's more air flow thru the engine bay. And we are not going to joke about Frank .. he is slow but he looks good in his driving suit !! :biggrin

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Here is a post from Ron the "Rocketman" before last August's trip to Miller Motorsports Park.
Many have posted excellent advice, this will provide even more.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?22541-Prep-for-Miller-Motorsports

Connor-san

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta
taking off the rear license plate let's more air flow thru the engine bay.

+1
Don't be surprised to see 220F while you're running it hard.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
""Watch your temp gauge and pull in if it goes into limp mode.""

FJPIKUL, Are you talking about the car or yourself that goes into LIMP mode when thing get to hot?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
“This is not a race”

This seems soooooo familiar...where have I heard these words???

Mark would be so proud of you!