My Exhaust Saga

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I received My Kinetic exhaust system Saturday morning via FedEX. I spent the day installing it (11 hours...). It is a very nice piece, well made, nice finish, with good hardware. I used some hints that have been posted here, to install it by myself, without removing the clamshell. I was also given a tip by Kinetic, and those of you who aren't happy with your tip alignment can benefit from this - loosen the two bolts on each side at the exhaust donut gasket. While these are loose the cats have lots of play, so adjust the tips, then tighten all the nuts at the rear of the exhaust system to lock in that alignment, THEN tighten the donut gasket bolts (donut gaskets are designed to have a large range of alignment).

When I was putting the car back together, I decided to open up the air box, just to check out the filters, and I found a huge mouse nest with some dead baby mice completely covering one of the two air filters!!!! Recall that I only recently bought this GT, used, and my guess is that the prior owner had it in a location where a mouse found access (although how it got into the air box I do not know - the clamshell would have had to be open I suppose). The nest looked almost like a "quilt", and was about 2" thick. I cleaned everything up (hope I don't get Hanta virus), and eventually I took the car for a drive. It did not drive very well, and it got hotter than it usually does (recall that these exhaust systems if anything are supposed to possibly help reduce underhood temps), and the exhaust kind of droned, as if the engine was struggling a bit. I drove home kind of disappointed, and went to bed after a very long day.

During the night I theorized that because I cleaned the air filter which had been completely blocked, the engine was now getting twice as much air, and with the new exhaust, possibly the computer had some learning to do. Maybe during my test drive the mixture was lean, which would make it run hot.

So the next morning I disconnected the battery and after a half hour I hooked it back, to download the base engine parameters. I fired it up and took it for a drive and let the computer learn, and it was like a different car – it ran cool, the engine did not struggle, and the exhaust did not drone. It seemed to run pretty well, and I suppose the computer may still be learning. I am happy now with the exhaust, and still need to spend some more time with it to gain some familiarity, but I have not noticed any drone, and on the test drive the operating temp stayed nice and (relatively) cool.

New air filters are on the way (the mice chewed on it a bit....).

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
everetto said:
...I was also given a tip by Kinetic, and those of you who aren't happy with your tip alignment can benefit from this - loosen the two bolts on each side at the exhaust donut gasket. While these are loose the cats have lots of play, so adjust the tips, then tighten all the nuts at the rear of the exhaust system to lock in that alignment, THEN tighten the donut gasket bolts (donut gaskets are designed to have a large range of alignment)...

Great tip, thanks. :thumbsup

OK, so who is going to be the first to offer mouse screens? :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Kendal will be the quickest ala. the window protectors!

It's alll good Kendal! :cheers

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Also check the air box to see if there are any cracks. Due to its location, especially with the stock muffler, cracks are not unusual due to high temps in engine bay.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Replacing with a stock or KN Filter? Anybody have comments on the best filter to use?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Pics of the exhaust please... and how loud (or quiet) is it compared to the stock part?

mardyn

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Thanks for your experience!! Why 11 hrs? In retrospect would you remove the clamshell because trying not to remove it took more time? How is it inside at highway speeds?

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I will go with stock air filter elements for now, but I have used K&N in the past on cars and motorcycles, and like them... if you don't over-oil them, the oil should not migrate. Actually, I may go ahead and order some...

It took 11 hours because I was by myself, and I was being very careful. I also may have removed more rear body panels than was necessary (the screens and the black surround in the bumper, etc.), and I completely removed the diffuser belly pan to allow access to the exhaust donut bolts. Additionally, I spent some time cleaning the mouse nest and associated "crap" out of the air box!

Regarding my choice to not remove the clamshell - I was alone, so this was not an option. I think that leaving it in place does make removing the stock boat anchor (muffler) more difficult, and damn, that thing is heavy.

The new exhaust is not too loud, nor obnoxious (mine has baffles, you can choose no baffles if you like). It does not drone so far - need some more highway time to make sure, but I don't think it will be an issue. I would estimate that it is about 30% louder than stock maybe, but like I said, I need some more time with it. Here are a few pics. The tips are some of the largest out there, which is one reason I chose this pipe - they really fill the black surround. The pipe is also what some are calling an "H-pipe", but as I have posted here earlier, all 3 of these similar pipes are so close, that an inch or two separating them where they connect may not make a lot of practical difference. With that said, note that the crossover on this pipe does have the most volume - which lowers the tone somewhat, which is another reason I chose this pipe. So far I am quite happy with it.
3y6myj7.jpg

47wiq9f.jpg

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It looks very nice!

Where are the baffles installed at? Are they user insertable and removable? What is the cost of these pipes?

BlackICE

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
The K&N for the lightning pick-up is the same filter used in the GT.
(you will need 2ea.)

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Very nice! I really like those better than any other I've seen thus far.

Okay, spill your guts, where can one find info on purchasing such an item...

mardyn

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Here is the link to Kinetic - not sure if the system is on their site, it was not when I last looked, so I emailed them and then called them. This system is priced about half way between the other two systems out there. The baffles are tack welded in, so not easily removable (near the 3-bolt flanges).

http://www.kssmotorsports.com/home/home.aspx

Next; Kenne Bell blower drive/pulleys...

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Air Filter

The Lightning Truck Air Filteris are not the same filter as the Ford GT Air Filter!!! I know, as I tried them. I tried the K & N Air Filter for the Lightning Truck, and it did not fit. I called K & N , and they said that they are DIFFERENT !!! Lightning Truck p/n= 33-2140-1 and Ford GT p/n= 33-2317.

AMB

Last edited:

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Hi Kids
I installed a set of the longtube headers the time sounds par. I installed them to the stock muffler and it sounds splended. I also gained 61 hp and smothed out the lines on the dyno.

cciinc

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
Everett,

Looks great! I may choose to do something like what you did. As soon as you have some miles on it let us know how it compares to stock (both performance and sound).

Tom

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
everetto said:
I will go with stock air filter elements for now, but I have used K&N in the past on cars and motorcycles, and like them... if you don't over-oil them, the oil should not migrate. Actually, I may go ahead and order some...

It took 11 hours because I was by myself, and I was being very careful. I also may have removed more rear body panels than was necessary (the screens and the black surround in the bumper, etc.), and I completely removed the diffuser belly pan to allow access to the exhaust donut bolts. Additionally, I spent some time cleaning the mouse nest and associated "crap" out of the air box!

Regarding my choice to not remove the clamshell - I was alone, so this was not an option. I think that leaving it in place does make removing the stock boat anchor (muffler) more difficult, and damn, that thing is heavy.

The new exhaust is not too loud, nor obnoxious (mine has baffles, you can choose no baffles if you like). It does not drone so far - need some more highway time to make sure, but I don't think it will be an issue. I would estimate that it is about 30% louder than stock maybe, but like I said, I need some more time with it. Here are a few pics. The tips are some of the largest out there, which is one reason I chose this pipe - they really fill the black surround. The pipe is also what some are calling an "H-pipe", but as I have posted here earlier, all 3 of these similar pipes are so close, that an inch or two separating them where they connect may not make a lot of practical difference. With that said, note that the crossover on this pipe does have the most volume - which lowers the tone somewhat, which is another reason I chose this pipe. So far I am quite happy with it.
3y6myj7.jpg

47wiq9f.jpg

What is the diameter of the exit tips? Stock is slightly over 3 inches. Thanks...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
AMB said:
The Lightning Truck Air Filteris are not the same filter as the Ford GT Air Filter!!! I know, as I tried them. I tried the K & N Air Filter for the Lightning Truck, and it did not fit. I called K & N , and they said that they are DIFFERENT !!! Lightning Truck p/n= 33-2140-1 and Ford GT p/n= 33-2317.

AMB
Wouldn't install K&N's anyhow. Waste of money and time...see other post. brings nothing over OEM, really.
Might be a fetish thingy :lol for some, maybe thread moves to BONY'S WORLD !!?

cheers

stefan

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
richardhead said:
What is the diameter of the exit tips? Stock is slightly over 3 inches. Thanks...
Tips are 3.5" in diameter. Now that I have spent a little more time with the pipes - I am really happy; no drone, car is loud enough to now hear it, but not obnoxious. The pipes are turning a very nice looking gold color (which indicates mixture is OK - I have not had any kind of tune done). The car seems to run cool, but maybe others can chime in on their temps. For example, last night I drove the car for about 45 minutes, and in the middle of the drive there was quite a bit of idling at a stop, and then 5 mph creeping around a loop in a parking lot (i.e. engine was at FULL temp), then the last part of the drive was some more moderate speeds, winding it up a bit. When I pulled into the garage and let it idle for a few minutes it was at 200 (needle straight up), and it never went above 200 during the drive and if speeds were above 15 mph it was running about 190. Does this sound "cool" to you guys? By the way, the ambient temp was about 70. Thanks.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
everetto said:
3y6myj7.jpg

Is that what I think it is?? Is that RUST on that black bracket? :willy :willy I didn't think it was possible a GT owner could do that to his car. Better get some Tremclad on there pronto! :eek

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Red Rocket said:
Is that what I think it is?? Is that RUST on that black bracket? :willy :willy I didn't think it was possible a GT owner could do that to his car. Better get some Tremclad on there pronto! :eek
On the black exhaust bracket? Nope, no rust, but yes, some paint "gone" where the stock muffler sat on the bracket (so rust won't be far behind!). Guess I should touch up the bracket.... I bought the car used (4700 miles), and it is pretty clean, no rust thank goodness, and I am slowly detailing it, and going through it a little at a time. Thank goodness I am in a dry climate.