My CAR is a STAR to some folks ...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I had to chuckle at this...

The OWNER of the local "tint" company came up today & installed my ProLine windshield film. Most of you know that's really a "one man job" for a pro installer. However, my GT evidently required TWO! :lol

'Seems the employee who accompanied the owner (a young kid) had been 'wetting himself' daily for the last week over the fact that 'the boss' would be working on a GT today (... in fact, from what they told me - they'd been taking turns!). Anyway, I don't know how he did it, but the employee got 'the boss' to bring him along.:biggrin

Weeeeeeeeell ... Needless to say it took a loooooooong time from the moment the garage's side door was opened 'til the "job" actually got started (most of that time spent trying to get their jaws back into the "closed" position).

They were here for quite a while doing "quality" checks AFTER the install too which, for best results, required that the car be STARTED and backed out into natural light!!!! (Actually, that really IS the only way to do that properly.) And, of coarse, cell phone photos of EACH standing beside the car was a "must" ... as were a number of shots of the car as well.

They were here the better part of 2 hours. 'Don't think they cleared a large profit! 'Don't think 'the boss' cared either. ( I KNOW the kid pbly didn't!):lol

(...I was busy myself for several minutes after they left moppin' up the drool...:rofl :cheers :thumbsup )

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
You should of gave the kid a ride he would of been talking about it for months!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You should of gave the kid a ride he would of been talking about it for months!

"The boss" said not to drive the car for 24-48 hrs. (Keep the windshied wipers "up" off the film and all that.)

Otherwise - yur right!:lol

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
EP,

What does ProLine windshield film do and have you had it on other cars?

Thanks,

Rob

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP,

What does ProLine windshield film do and have you had it on other cars?

Thanks,

Rob

That's a protective film (much like the "tear strips" used in NASCAR - but MUCH more "skoocum") that is applied to the EXTERIOR of your windshield to act as a "stone shield". That way, pretty much any stuff flying into the windshield (short of a bowling ball dropped from an overpass) will be deflected by the shield so the GLASS isn't chipped or "stared".

To replace the windshield on a GT (you may know) requires that the front fenders be removed. Sooooooo, if one can greatly decrease the chances of having to replace one by installing this film - why not?

And, no. 'Never used this stuff on ANY car before. 'Didn't know a product like this existed until ol' STORMCAT put a group buy together for us here on the Forum! (Thanks again, Storm!)

STORMCAT pbly knows much more about this kind of product.

EP

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
EP, how much did that film and installation cost?

mardyn

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That's a protective film (much like the "tear strips" used in NASCAR - but MUCH more "skoocum") that is applied to the EXTERIOR of your windshield to act as a "stone shield". That way, pretty much any stuff flying into the windshield (short of a bowling ball dropped from an overpass) will be deflected by the shield so the GLASS isn't chipped or "stared".

To replace the windshield on a GT (you may know) requires that the front fenders be removed. Sooooooo, if one can greatly decrease the chances of having to replace one by installing this film - why not?

And, no. 'Never used this stuff on ANY car before. 'Didn't know a product like this existed until ol' STORMCAT put a group buy together for us here on the Forum! (Thanks again, Storm!)

STORMCAT pbly knows much more about this kind of product.

EP

So how did it come out ? I'm real happy with mine it may take a week or so for all of the water to evaporate from under the film.. Details can be found at www.prolinestyling.com ( for the record I am not affiliated with them ) look at the Windshield Skin Product

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So how did it come out ?

Pretty well, STORM. There are 3 or 4 veeeeeeeeeeeeery tiny "spots" ... like a teeny tiny air bubble here & there - but they're way out of the line of vision within a couple inches of the "edge". SO, even if they WERE visible from inside the car, you'd have to search for 'em to find 'em (if you could). Anyway, the light has to be "just right "to see 'em from outside the car as well, so I'm not even going to try to mess with 'em.

THEY will go "bye-bye" whenever the film gets changed "down the road" anyway, whereas a chip or STAR would be there permanently - or until the windshield is swapped out. These "spots" are a small price to pay for keeping the windshield safe!

E.P.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP, how much did that film and installation cost?

mardyn

Film was $125 as a part of the group buy offer...which has expired now. Presently, I think they're $185 "wholesale".

Install was $150 AT MY HOME. I didn't wanna have it done in their shop because of all the possibilities involving "Murphy's Law". ( I'm not known as paranoid Pockets fer nuthin'.)

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I paid a $175 to have mine installed, glad yours came out well.:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I paid a $175 to have mine installed, glad yours came out well.:thumbsup

Did YOU find any small specks of crap or "bubbles" anywhere at all, Bony?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Did YOU find any small specks of crap or "bubbles" anywhere at all, Bony?

My installer came back twice. First we followed the factory instructions and used to much shampoo. Then Stormcat came to the rescue, and we took it off and used his water to shampoo ratio. We lost some adhesive over the two day
process. I have losts of specs and few bubbles. I am not very happy with the
job. I need to start over.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My installer came back twice. First we followed the factory instructions and used to much shampoo. Then Stormcat came to the rescue, and we took it off and used his water to shampoo ratio. We lost some adhesive over the two day
process. I have losts of specs and few bubbles. I am not very happy with the
job. I need to start over.

Oh, crap.
That sucks.
Next time around - 'new installer????????:ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Oh, crap.
That sucks.
Next time around - 'new installer????????:ack

No Larry, we got bad info from the factory, Brian saved the day. The installer had done hundreds of window tints and clear bras, he was ok.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
No Larry, we got bad info from the factory, Brian saved the day. The installer had done hundreds of window tints and clear bras, he was ok.

Having my film installed this saturday...and I think the guy doing it is a little nervous (at least he seemed on the phone) is there anything I should know before hand?..

ty

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
"Anything that CAN go wrong ......................"

May I recommend you down a glass of Chateau du Ripple B4 he trys putting the new film on? That should help settle the nerves some. (DON'T GIVE THE INSTALLER ANY!!!!!!)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Having my film installed this saturday...and I think the guy doing it is a little nervous (at least he seemed on the phone) is there anything I should know before hand?..

ty

Follow Stormcats water to shampoo ratio exactly, use to much and you will not get good adhesion.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The gentleman who did my Proline film yesterday came back today to look at a couple teeny "blems" near the film's edges 2C whether they were removable with a "hot gun" ... which they are.

Anyway, when he'd finished, he stood there looking at the car, shook his head a bit, and said, "Man. I sure wish there was something I could do that'd give you enough confidence in me to let me drive this thing just once".

Of coarse, my paranoya would never allow that, but I knew exactly what he was feeling because many years ago it was ME standing beside a brand new 1957 Corvette with what I'm SURE was the same look on my face as he had on his at that moment. And I'm just as sure the owner of that 'Vette felt the same about someone else driving his car.

We sure are a fortunate bunch of folks, ain't we?
(And, I thank God for that good fortune every day.)