My 1st Whipple Dyno Results

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Sorry if this sounds odd, but I was initially a little disappointed that my car "only" made 696 RWHP (SAE)... After all I am running the 21psi pulley (at mile-high altitude) and I sort of expected to make about 19psi and about 775 corrected RWHP - see EDIT below. After the dyno pulls we found that the belt was probably slipping big time, because he was able to grab the blower pulley/belt and spin it (meaning he was slipping the belt around the crankshaft pulley by hand) - not enough tension! The first belt I put on the car was for the larger 19psi pulley and shortly thereafter I swapped to the smaller 21 psi pulley, but did not go to the smaller belt that I have. Also, my plugs are currently gapped at .035, which is probably too wide, so I will go to .028. Timing was at 18 degrees under WOT, so there is more there too. The dyno guy said "there is probably another 100HP in there..." and he theorized that I might only be making about 15 lbs of boost with the loose belt. So, I actually feel OK after all - will change the belt, re-gap the plugs, and maybe get some more total advance, and go back to the dyno soon.
EDIT - it was my mistake to think that if I indeed made 19 lbs boost that I would get 775 HP corrected - I think it would be more like 720-740, so I am not too far off, especially considering belt slippage and moderate total advance - we will get there. And the car is so streetable it is unbelievable.
63ktoq9.jpg

67esv7o.jpg

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Accufab make a device to allow access to boost pressure, seems like a necessary item. Isn't the torque curve amazing.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Isn't the torque curve amazing.

WHAT "CURVE"???!!!!!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Right, its a high, flat line.:biggrin

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
Glad to see everything worked out for you. Obviously I'm playing catch up with all that's been going on. Would love a ride sometime. (I'm sure I'll have to get in line with everybody else.) BTW... who owns the tungsten from the last meet?

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Glad to see everything worked out for you. Obviously I'm playing catch up with all that's been going on. Would love a ride sometime. (I'm sure I'll have to get in line with everybody else.) BTW... who owns the tungsten from the last meet?

I met the fellow with the Tungsten for the first time last weekend - will update you next time I see you, which I hope will be this Saturday at the get-together! You should come on out, and we should call K as well - it would be good to have 3 or 4 GTs there. I think I saw you in your car today down the hill from Intel.

Since the last dyno runs I have tightened the plug gap and the belt tension as well, so I hope to get back to the dyno fairly soon. I still don't have any way to measure the actual boost I am making but if it is really below 19 lbs then I think the best I should realistically hope for will be around 720 RWHP corrected.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulations. Get some good tires for that bad boy.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I think the best I should realistically hope for will be around 720 RWHP corrected.

Oh, poor baby!!! :rofl :thumbsup :cheers

BITURBOAMG

Jan 19, 2007
I met the fellow with the Tungsten for the first time last weekend - will update you next time I see you, which I hope will be this Saturday at the get-together! You should come on out, and we should call K as well - it would be good to have 3 or 4 GTs there. I think I saw you in your car today down the hill from Intel.

Since the last dyno runs I have tightened the plug gap and the belt tension as well, so I hope to get back to the dyno fairly soon. I still don't have any way to measure the actual boost I am making but if it is really below 19 lbs then I think the best I should realistically hope for will be around 720 RWHP corrected.

I see you are on this forum as well everett. Your car is very nice and after going out in that tung gt I have been looking around for a gt. Hope to see you there this saturday and dont forget to give me a ride. (v12tt)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Whipple with Shadowman/Tony Tune

I just swapped my Dustin Whipple tune (via Predator) for my 19lb Whipple for a Shadowman/Tony HP tune (via SCT). Unbelievable difference. No comparison. I thought the first tune & Whipple were heaven but now I'm in trouble - I will end up in jail! The power & smoothness are beyond description. I am now driving the fastest thing on 4 wheels in my life! It's scary & I love it. Thanks Shadowman!

Ed

PS Will you post bail for me?

Aug 25, 2006
I just swapped my Dustin Whipple tune (via Predator) for my 19lb Whipple for a Shadowman/Tony HP tune (via SCT). Unbelievable difference. No comparison. I thought the first tune & Whipple were heaven but now I'm in trouble - I will end up in jail! The power & smoothness are beyond description. I am now driving the fastest thing on 4 wheels in my life! It's scary & I love it. Thanks Shadowman!

Ed

PS Will you post bail for me?

Ready and willing; now having said this; be safe out there while exercising your gal.

It was truly my pleasure to assist you and yet TonY G aka HP Performance was the brains behind this one I simply was the proverbial "PuppetMaster". We used my gal and the fellow in Canada's GT as the meaning to create a fricken awesome 91 octane 19PSI tune as you have experienced.

Thank you for the kind words

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ready and willing; now having said this; be safe out there while exercising your gal.

It was truly my pleasure to assist you and yet TonY G aka HP Performance was the brains behind this one I simply was the proverbial "PuppetMaster". We used my gal and the fellow in Canada's GT as the meaning to create a fricken awesome 91 octane 19PSI tune as you have experienced.

Takes care

Shadowman

Hello Bill,
Something new, do you have the 20lb tune ready?
Cheers,
bony
don't want to be left behind...:lol

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I just swapped my Dustin Whipple tune (via Predator) for my 19lb Whipple for a Shadowman/Tony HP tune (via SCT). Unbelievable difference. No comparison.

Whoooo Hoooooo !!!! Sign me up boys! Put me next on the list! I will be contacting you!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
You guys got to stop this whipple dyno posting......It's just not fair! I can only do so much at one time.......

This week the wife ordered a Whipple from Ford Racing.....but not for the GT:ack She ordered it for her new 07 Harley F150 with AWD....I said but it's fathers day she replied with a sinister laugh :slap

It's just not fair:bang :mad

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I see you are on this forum as well everett. Your car is very nice and after going out in that tung gt I have been looking around for a gt. Hope to see you there this saturday and dont forget to give me a ride. (v12tt)

Hi Jude, nice to see you here. So you liked your ride in the Tungsten eh? Good luck in your search for a GT, although your Twin Turbo V12 AMG is not too shabby I must say! I plan on going this Saturday if good weather - hope to see you out there. :cheers

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Whats up Everetto? I have never seen your GT here in Alb. I am in my cars all the time. My poor little GT only makes 652rwhp. i need to get a Whipple soon. Who did the install and tune?

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Whats up Everetto? I have never seen your GT here in Alb. I am in my cars all the time. My poor little GT only makes 652rwhp. i need to get a Whipple soon. Who did the install and tune?

Hi Kenric - come on out this Saturday morning (tomorrow) to the parking lot by the Starbucks and Dos Hermanos near the Journal Center, just off Jefferson. Hopefully Pb, Benny and you will all come out so we will have at least 4 GTs there. Cars start arriving about 8AM and stay till almost 11 sometimes. The coffee, breakfast burritos and company are good - you never know what cars you will see. Come on out!

By the way, I did the Whipple install myself and the current tune is from Jack at Muscle Motors in CA. We dyno'd the car with Chris at Dyno Edge (see dyno vid link on one of the posts on page one of this thread - cool vid).

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman...are you saying you can do 19 PSI boost with a Whipple, 91 octane pump gas, no additives and get over 700 RWHP on the street? Thanks for any details you can enlighten upon...

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
You guys got to stop this whipple dyno posting......It's just not fair! I can only do so much at one time.......

This week the wife ordered a Whipple from Ford Racing.....but not for the GT:ack She ordered it for her new 07 Harley F150 with AWD....I said but it's fathers day she replied with a sinister laugh :slap

It's just not fair:bang :mad

:rofl :rofl