Musty Smell From Ventilation?

uniesse

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2006
I have just started experiencing a musty smell from the ventilation system when the A/C is on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Nope. But this is not unusual in general terms. Do you only put on the A/C when you need it, or is it on for every journey?

uniesse

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2006
Neilda said:
Nope. But this is not unusual in general terms. Do you only put on the A/C when you need it, or is it on for every journey?

I usually only put it on when I need it. But this is something new. It just started happening.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I frequently have a musty smell when first starting my air conditioning. Then it goes away is a couple minutes. My only concern is that there is condensation not draining properly and there could be a bacteria growth.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Get yourself some anti-bacterial surface spray - Febreze or Dettol would do it - find the air intake and give it a blast....

I think the trick with aircon (some might disagree, but it's been my experience over many years) is to leave it on all the time at, obviously, a temperature that suits on a low fan setting. That way it won't build up the spores that are causing the aroma.

You might find some 'dedicated' A/C cleaner spray rather than the products suggested by the way. I'm sure Lexus or Jaguar would have such a thing.

Hope this helps.

N

uniesse

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2006
Neilda said:
Get yourself some anti-bacterial surface spray - Febreze or Dettol would do it - find the air intake and give it a blast....

I think the trick with aircon (some might disagree, but it's been my experience over many years) is to leave it on all the time at, obviously, a temperature that suits on a low fan setting. That way it won't build up the spores that are causing the aroma.

You might find some 'dedicated' A/C cleaner spray rather than the products suggested by the way. I'm sure Lexus or Jaguar would have such a thing.

Hope this helps.

N

Thanks guys for your suggestions!

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
AC smell

Mine does it too on start up and this climate is VERY humid. Would the accumulation of condensation be farther in the system than just spraying within the outlets? Where is the intake?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mine does it on startup but clears out pretty quickly. It's irritating but my Dodge pickup used to do the same thing but worse. I have no idea what to do about it.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The smell is bacteria/mold (or mould).

Mold problems happen more frequently in the warm when humidity reaches high levels and can also occur in the cold (when warm air escapes into unconditioned space, and condenses). The condensation on a car system (when the aircon is on) happens outside the system rather than inside it.... mold won't take easily on the outside.

So it's moisture that's the key element - moisture that's trapped - combined with, typically warmth.

Keeping the aircon on (permanently) dehumidifies the air (dries it out) and prevents the formation of mold on the various elements of the A/C. If you have that musty smell, find the air intake for the aircon and put some bacterial spray into it and then keep your aircon on at all times - car systems prefer to be always on rather than often on.

Hope this helps....

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
A/C smell

Thanks for the note---it NEEDS to be on at all times here.