Mustang and GT

Tomcat

GT Owner
How I spent last weekend.
A local retired Piedmont Airlines pilot and I got together this weekend. The Mustang is outfitted with a second seat BUT the guy does not have insurance to take passengers.
He also has a flying Stearman PT-17.

The Mustang has a Packard licensed Rolls-Royce Merlin and is a P-51D.
He flew it around the little airport for about 15 minutes.

Attachments

• Best front Mustang GT.jpg
    Best front Mustang GT.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 246

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, but are the 6 Browning .50 cals still working ?!?!:biggrin

Great image.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Very nice !

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
During my cross country solo, visited with an owner of such an aircraft. Asked him what the gallon per hour fuel flow was. Said he was not concerned with those number but was more concerned with GPM. He said too, go to your bath tub, turn on the hot and cold water to full blast, that is what the fuel flow looks like.....

Think he knew he was talking to a new pilot.

Your car is looking good too.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Yeah, but are the 6 Browning .50 cals still working ?!?!:biggrin

Great image.
No, but I heard he had a line on some. I offered my connections for a Vulcan 20mm cannon. :)

Tomcat

GT Owner
During my cross country solo, visited with an owner of such an aircraft. Asked him what the gallon per hour fuel flow was. Said he was not concerned with those number but was more concerned with GPM. He said too, go to your bath tub, turn on the hot and cold water to full blast, that is what the fuel flow looks like.....

Think he knew he was talking to a new pilot.

Your car is looking good too.
This uses 100 octane (I think he said). He might have estimated $1,500/hour.
The Tomcat uses JP5 (aboard ship), which is cheap kerosene but in full afterburner we could burn 2,000 pounds (305 gallons) per minute.
Ps-I am sooo pleased with the GT...and it still thrills me!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Don't have the aircraft, but do have the motor. Going to put it in a car once I'm finished with building my GT350R vintage racer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 133

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Don't have the aircraft, but do have the motor. Going to put it in a car once I'm finished with building my GT350R vintage racer

Heck of a motor for a car.:biggrin

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Heck of a motor for a car.:biggrin
C'mon, its only 27 litres (1,656 cu. ins).....

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Mongrel,

Do you need to go through the motor?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Mongrel,

Do you need to go through the motor?

Its brand-new, only been fired up a few times. Will probably need to replace a bunch of dried-out seals tho' ( if can ever figure out where to get parts!)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Its brand-new, only been fired up a few times. Will probably need to replace a bunch of dried-out seals tho' ( if can ever figure out where to get parts!)

Maybe Davis-Monthan...boneyard. :) That motor is cool!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Are you aware how much Roush does with these engines? They have a full FAA certified rebuild shop. I've walked through it and the extensive parts they have. It's amazing what they have. Was awesome to see these engines in various states of assembly.

https://www.roushaviation.com/repair-station

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Are you aware how much Roush does with these engines? They have a full FAA certified rebuild shop. I've walked through it and the extensive parts they have. It's amazing what they have. Was awesome to see these engines in various states of assembly.

https://www.roushaviation.com/repair-station

Great catch! I feel better now, knowing that there's a source for some of the parts. It's an amazing angine, all exotic alloys and complexities. It also uses the 'wonderful' Whitworth thread system, so no popping down to Ace Hardware if you need a nut or bolt...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
All translates into big bucks. But the sound... Incredible.