Must. Have. Heffner. TT.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
*cliff notes - Heffner TT is very very very fast*

I figured this deserved it's own thread before I got anything else sorted out.

On our way through Texas, we stopped at Bigs' house and had a beer, took some pics, shot the proverbial breeze, and went out for some good food. About ten minutes after we left he called and said Ripper02 wasn't all that far up the road and we should give him a call to check out his Heffner Twin Turbo GT. Uh, hell yes.

Luckily we got in touch with Jerry and made an early morning stop the next day to check out the garage. We were greeted by the 8 second Viper, the TT GT, and a really angry Vortech'd fox body in the garage. The fox body is described with any adjective that is synonymous with mean. The Viper is an 8 second car and has a bad ass custom paint job. What can you say about a car that runs 8's?

Anyhow, we took a few pics and hopped on the road in the TT GT. I borrowed the Acura because the 67' had been kicking my ass enough on the way back. I got to follow as Ripper repeatedly blasted the tires to dust and made Camilo grin from ear to ear. I'm going deep triple digits looking for them and I still can't see them yet. They swapped seats and Camilo put the car through the ringer. He came out a happy happy man.

Next was my turn. I've been in some fast cars, my own included, and this car is a whole different level. It's daily driver civilized until you nail the loud pedal. Even then it's not overly loud and the traction is relatively abundant. Once it kicks past a certain rpm and the open wastegates start making some noise it sounds more like the power it's putting out. It's just furious acceleration. Super linear, super smooth, super fast. It will not stop accelerating.

I got a better idea once I drove it. Doesn't drive any different than a stock car in the low rpms. Once I put my foot in it, it never got wild. Just went forward in a real hurry. I told Ripper that you could drive it like that constantly and it would never feel out of control. I was never pounding on it because it wasn't my car, but my unscientific ass-o-meter thinks it's worth somewhere between 145-150 in the quarter. From a car that feels like stock! I'm confident you could use it to get Starbucks every morning, or hit 200mph on every interstate in America should you be inclined. And it runs extremely cool. When the temps rose under pressure, they were down below 170 before I could look back down. Getting rid of the blower is a major heat saver.

And of course everything absolutely looks OEM in the engine compartment. It's amazing how good it looks. It looks just as good in real life as in pictures. Wow. Once a Ford engineer told me they couldn't have designed it better themselves if they had gone TT instead of blower (which they considered but had nothing in the paddock to go on). He was right.

All in all, me and Camilo probably spent the next 45 minutes on the road talking about how bad ass that car is. How controllable and perfectly balanced. He wants me to call Jason and see what the 2 person discount is. I can't say I disagree. There will be more than one person who gets in one of these and hands over a check immediately. What an absolute blast that thing is! :willy Many thanks to Jerry for letting us stop by and experience it firsthand!

ripper1.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
More pics
ripper2.jpg
ripper3.jpg
ripper4.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
ripper5.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Brief video (should be available in a few minutes once YouTube has allowed it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_eX989X-Y8

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And he's still got the stock muffler! I find that a surprise.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Very Nice

VERY VERY NICE!!!

Question is: Do I Want One Of These?

HECK YES I DO ! ! !

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
DBK, I'm making an assumption here that you rode in Joe's TTGT at the rally. Did you notice a difference between those 2 different setups or are there too many other variables to compare them?

Great summary BTW!:thumbsup

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

Damn! What's all the red debris? Looks like you killed a vampire and you're running through his ashes.:lol

Man, you're making me rethink the whipple.:willy

GaryA

Jan 24, 2006
Oh yeah! I've ridden in that car a few times and even transported it a few times and can tell you from first hand experience that it is absolutely incredible. The power, the workmanship, and the sheer streetability of this car are amazing. Jason Heffner knows how to set the pace and this car is the proof.

Also, Jerry (Ripper) is a great guy! Who else would hand over the keys to a couple of guys and let them rip through the gears of such a crazy fast car? I'll never forget the look on his face the first time he took the car through it's paces. Good job Jerry and good job Jason!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
pure art, I see the example has the cats and stock muffler, can I conclude it would be california smog legal???

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
pure art, I see the example has the cats and stock muffler, can I conclude it would be california smog legal???

Bony... No Cats but stock muffler....

I have contemplated running Heff's Cat-Back but this car
is just so tame and quiet and man...truly a sleeper until under boost...

Dave..... I cannot thank you and Camilo enough for coming to visit and
play with the cars..... An Awesome experience I will never ever forget!!!!

Greatest Thanks Man :thumbsup

Gary Almond.... Thanks Very Much!!!!!!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony... No Cats but stock muffler....

I have contemplated running Heff's Cat-Back but this car
is just so tame and quiet and man...truly a sleeper until under boost...

Is there anyway to pass California smog?
I love the Heffner set up.... just pure WOOD!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Damn! What's all the red debris? Looks like you killed a vampire and you're running through his ashes.:lol

Man, you're making me rethink the whipple.:willy

I think it was the road bleeding :lol

Dude, the Whipple is an awesome piece for a great price. You can't argue with the huge power for relatively low dollars. But given the choice, TT for SURE. Lighter, cooler, can be programmed for progressive boost. I know what any twin screw blower is like; and that is a tire melter with instant boost. Great if you can hook, but not so good with the street tires. This thing wouldn't even break second but it will bust 140 in the quarter like a bubble...but like all else, it comes at a price!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Is there anyway to pass California smog?
I love the Heffner set up.... just pure WOOD!

Maybe with enough CA GT owners committing to buy Heffner TT, we can convice him to get the thing CARB approved. That takes time and money to do.

Let's get a count of hands.

BlackICE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I don't think the cats are there and even if they were, CA is a major PITA to get an EO number for.

GARY J

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2006
Awesome story. Awesome pics. Awesome cars. Jerry is absolutely top notch. I am jealous that you guys got to go hang out and I was stuck here in Georgia. I can't wait to come out to Texas to get into a little trouble.

To Jerry. A great friend. :cheers

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Car and Driver review:
http://www.caranddriver.com/special...rghini-gallardo-twin-turbo-ford-gt-page3.html

look out S7 Twin Turbo! Check out these stats!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Car and Driver review:
http://www.caranddriver.com/special...rghini-gallardo-twin-turbo-ford-gt-page3.html

look out S7 Twin Turbo! Check out these stats!

3.2 seconds 150 to 180 mph. Holy Sh*t Batman! This monster has got to top out north of 220 mph!

Car Wash King

GT Owner
Jul 4, 2006
I agree a great package and alot of fun:cheers thanks john

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
Many owners won't even let you sit in their cars...

Jerry, it's awesome to see you own the cars and the cars don't own you.

Props for sharing!

Great story!