Motorcraft Brake/Clutch fluid ES-M6C25-A

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Looking at the dealer handbook with all the fluids/type number, does not specify if the brake/clutch fluid is synthetic or not....anybody know? The pic in the book is turned so that one cannot see all the specs.....

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
i checked the workshop manual and it does not say.
item-motorcraft high performance dot 3 motor vehicle brake fluid pm-1 or equivalent meeting spec- esa-m6c25-a

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I previously spoke to Mark McGowan about this fluid topic. Since Ford recommends switching out the OE supplied DOT 3 fluid to their DOT 4 fluid (Ford P/N YS4Z-19542-AA meeting specification WSS-M6C65-A2) for track prep on the Boss Mustang, I wondered if the FGT development program had used DOT 4 fluid as well.

Mark told me the whole brake program conducted on the FGT was conducted with the regular Motorcraft DOT 3 fluid (C6AZ-19542-AA or PM-1C) fluid and they never had any problems with the fluid. I asked why the recommendation to switch to the DOT 4 in the Mustang and his comment was the Mustang is heavier than the GT and the FGT has a more superior braking system. (Most probably rotor sizes and heat dissipation capacity due to cooling flows) Thus the Mustang will run higher caliper temperatures which needs the higher wet/dry boiling point protection of the DOT 4 fluid.

The Motorcraft DOT 3 fluid is highly regarded by most as being a very good everyday brake fluid (284F wet/500F dry) and reasonably priced. Sure the DOT 4 fluids do have a (slightly) higher temperature capability which might be necessary for some vehicles but the whole FGT development was conducted with the Motorcraft DOT 3 fluid. My recommendation for non-tracked cars (or maybe occasionally tracked) would be to stay with the OE Motorcraft PM-1C fluid and change it every 18-24 months to keep the fluid in the "dry" temperature capacity. If one tracks their GT frequently then going to DOT 4 is good insurance.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
In addition to Indy's comment and recommendation, please change your clutch fluid at the same time.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Good idea as well Frank!

Just as a parenthetical, I have swapped out to DOT 4 fluid because I do frequently track my GT and I went with the Motul 600 RBF fluid for two reasons 1) cost, it is only slightly more expensive than the very popular ATE fluids which do offer the much appreciated color change when flushing the system, and 2) the wet temperature capability of the Motul (421F) is superior to most all DOT 4 fluids (Prospeed RS683 and Castrol SRF being the exceptions but these brake fluids are significantly higher in price). So even in a “wet” compromised condition, this fluid is fairly close in temperature capacity (ie boiling resistance) to that of “dry” Motorcraft PM-1C DOT 3 fluid (500F).

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
Indy, you hit the nail on the head. Motul is the way to go. I'm usually on a track 15 weekends out of the year, and every car we've changed over to motul fluid, it seems to last longer, and stay more consistent through longer stints.