More A/C questions

toomanytoys

GT Owner
Aug 8, 2006
Las Vegas
My A/C is intermitently going on and off. Cold one minute and blowing hairdryer hot the next. Seems to happen when the engine temp is over 200. The air temp is over 100 outside. Does anyone know if this is a normal engine/compressor protection mechanism or is this abnormal. Thanks for the info.

Greg

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It should be freezing you out of the car that's what mine does even in the FL heat. Do you have it on recirc ?

Can you tell if the clutch is cycling on and off in relation to the cold not so cold air coming out of the vents ?

Aug 25, 2006
I have the situation were I have to turn both the blower and the thermostat down even during extreme days; mine is fricken COLD

Yours could be a bit low on freon as such the head temperature of the compressor is getting to high and then shuts down until it cools and then repeats the cycle.

I would have it checked and suspect in the end it will be an easy fix

All the best

Shadowman

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Another interesting tidbit of info is that the stock Ford calibration is written to where the AC clutch is not disengaged under WOT. I guess they figured this puppy stock makes enough power to where you wouldn't miss the HP parasitic loss from the FEAD while tooling around with your foot hammered to the floor. :wink

toomanytoys

GT Owner
Aug 8, 2006
Las Vegas
Thanks for the input. Looks like the consensus is that it should be working better than it is. I'll take it to the dealer to check it out.
I talked to the guys at Accufab and they said they have a program to turn on the fans earlier to keep the engine cooler in hot climates. Anyone have this?

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks for the input. Looks like the consensus is that it should be working better than it is. I'll take it to the dealer to check it out.
I talked to the guys at Accufab and they said they have a program to turn on the fans earlier to keep the engine cooler in hot climates. Anyone have this?

yes works great.But can not turn the fans on to soon or thay will run all the time.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My car's AC likes to blow very hot out the dash vents every so often without me touching any of the controls. Then it goes back to cold all on its own. I should mention that there is a whooshing noise under the passenger side dashboard just before it begins blowing cold again and that it happens regardless if I am running the air temperature control in full cold, three quarters cold or half cold - the temperature of air coming out the vents has a mind of its own.

Did you get yours fixed and what did they do?

Terry

KRAZYPSI

Permanent Vacation
Jan 13, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My car's AC likes to blow very hot out the dash vents every so often without me touching any of the controls. Then it goes back to cold all on its own. I should mention that there is a whooshing noise under the passenger side dashboard just before it begins blowing cold again and that it happens regardless if I am running the air temperature control in full cold, three quarters cold or half cold - the temperature of air coming out the vents has a mind of its own.

Did you get yours fixed and what did they do?

Terry

Is it possible your wipers are causing the problem?

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't know if it's related but my AC is all screwed up because the crappy Vintage Air controls are shot. They look really awesome, but everyone tells me they aren't the most reliable things in the world. All the AC control knobs are on one circuit board, and if it's screwed up, you have to replace the whole thing ($500). At this point, there is almost no rhyme or reason to how mine works. The knob goes around and around, and it pretty much decides the strength on it's own. I can manipulate the temp, but that's it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
$500, that is the low price condisering a low production part for the GT.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't know if it's related but my AC is all screwed up because the crappy Vintage Air controls are shot.

Vintage Air controls - that's very interesting.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It is probably just a pot (variable resistor) you can get from Radio Shack for only $3.00. But making it look and feel right will take some work.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I don't know if it's related but my AC is all screwed up because the crappy Vintage Air controls are shot. They look really awesome, but everyone tells me they aren't the most reliable things in the world. All the AC control knobs are on one circuit board, and if it's screwed up, you have to replace the whole thing ($500). At this point, there is almost no rhyme or reason to how mine works. The knob goes around and around, and it pretty much decides the strength on it's own. I can manipulate the temp, but that's it.

Around and around reminds me of a song by Dead or Alive. Sounds like your system can't make up its mind :biggrin.
I missed the tech night at the rally as I was getting some work done by Rich and Denis. I understand that I missed discussion ( complaints ) about the GT's AC / Heating system. Atleast Vintage Air has been around for some time and hopefully will be for alot more.

I"ll pm toomany toys.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Is it possible your wipers are causing the problem?

:lol What wipers - Buddy you've got to catch the next rally!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I had Rich and Dennis yank my console and they tried to see if they could fix it, but they just said to replace it. I haven't bothered because I always drive with the windows down anways...

It is probably just a pot (variable resistor) you can get from Radio Shack for only $3.00. But making it look and feel right will take some work.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK, what have you been doing on that console? Can't you just wait? Your time is almost here.