More 4.0l whipple install probs now with pulley alignment wrecking belt

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Well I seem to be cursed with belt issues since my first whipple. But now after months of delay with wrong sized belts, we now are at tuning stage and my tuner tells me the following yesterday re pulley alignment being out and instantly shredding a rib on a new belt. I am at loss and quite over it all to say the least after all this time.

Hi Andrew
***** Got Gt running but belt lasted 30 seconds and ripped of one rib.I set laser up on supercharger pulley back to ribed idler pulley and found alignment is out buy 3.5 mm.It seems the offset of the pulley is incorrect.I also measured the original blower front bolt hole to pulley it is the correct distance.
***** I could make a spacer up but I am concerned there would not be enough support inside the pulley.
Whats your thoughts beside going back to the Americans.

Aug 25, 2006
I truly feel your frustration

3.5 mm .......... not good

Thought; could the back side of the pulley be machined thus allowing a thicker and better indexed spacer?

Shadowman

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Belt

Sounds to me like the belt was installed wrong and then they started it. Don't really see (but possible) that Whipple shipped the incorrect pulley or throttle body adaptor.

We will see how our next one goes on in about a week or so.

Well I seem to be cursed with belt issues since my first whipple. But now after months of delay with wrong sized belts, we now are at tuning stage and my tuner tells me the following yesterday re pulley alignment being out and instantly shredding a rib on a new belt. I am at loss and quite over it all to say the least after all this time.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My first belt shredded on me too but the cause was the tensioner pulley. It was installed without the proper spacing washer (my fault). This caused it to bind, which led to the belt hoping around and then it ate the belt.

I think I have an extra belt if Whipple is in short supply.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
This is news to me. If someone is having alignment issues, you can always email me or michael here.

I certainly don't know about being 3.5mm off and I'm unsure if your saying to far in, or too far out. I can tell you after 20 years, 3.5mm is usually not enough to shred belts, especially at low speed and so far away from other grooved pulleys.

There's not much of a chance that the pulley's are off. One could take 1-3mm off the backside, but thats it. You could also remove the locating pins from the bottom of the plate and push the sc back as much as you can with all the bolts in, could get another 1mm or so. If it needs to go out, you can easily shim the pulley to get it to align. I have stepped spacers, but nothing smaller than .25. Otherwise we just shim them.

Last edited:

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
My first belt shredded on me too but the cause was the tensioner pulley. It was installed without the proper spacing washer (my fault). This caused it to bind, which led to the belt hoping around and then it ate the belt.

I think I have an extra belt if Whipple is in short supply.

We typically have all the belts in stock.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
This is news to me. If someone is having alignment issues, you can always email me or michael here.

I certainly don't know about being 3.5mm off and I'm unsure if your saying to far in, or too far out. I can tell you after 20 years, 3.5mm is usually not enough to shred belts, especially at low speed and so far away from other grooved pulleys.

There's not much of a chance that the pulley's are off. One could take 1-3mm off the backside, but thats it. You could also remove the locating pins from the bottom of the plate and push the sc back as much as you can with all the bolts in, could get another 1mm or so. If it needs to go out, you can easily shim the pulley to get it to align. I have stepped spacers, but nothing smaller than .25. Otherwise we just shim them.

thanks for the quick response. My tuner feels a bit helpless sometimes in getting support. I've copied him your response and hopefully he'll go direct and email or call on Monday. I really have to get this car back on the road it's been in the shop for 7 months now.

Aug 25, 2006
thanks for the quick response. My tuner feels a bit helpless sometimes in getting support. I've copied him your response and hopefully he'll go direct and email or call on Monday. I really have to get this car back on the road it's been in the shop for 7 months now.

She will be back on line soon.

There is no doubt that those that can/will help have all joined the party

Takes care

Shadowman

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

I have to admit here that when I installed my 4.0L the guys at Whipple inc. were 'Johnny on the spot' with everything I needed. I did not have any issues with their support after the sale.

Maybe your tuner is asking the questions.

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Sounds to me like the belt was installed wrong and then they started it. Don't really see (but possible) that Whipple shipped the incorrect pulley or throttle body adaptor.

We will see how our next one goes on in about a week or so.

That must be mine huh Rich ?

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Belt

That must be mine huh Rich ?

Yes, I was talking about yours. Installed yesterday and no issues. The belt isn't the easiest one to install but it is on. Now off to dyno late this week or early next to see what this one pulls!!!!!!! :biggrin:biggrin

DSCN3414.jpg

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Steve,

You didn't say the 4.0L. Wow, looks great. Guess you will need all the extra gear at the Mile (not like soroush) so you can get in more than one run.:lol

Larry

Looking forward to our get together for the BBORR!!!!!