Mods for Left hand road driving

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I'm just about to get my GT into New Zealand, I think it shows up this week. Does anyone know what modifications will be necessary? I won't have to change to RHD but will have to mod the headlights. Anything else? Any methods to mod the headlights?
I have the Stillen exhaust with cats, will that be a problem?
Cheers to all:cheers,
John

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
GOOD LUCK finding a service center. In England Rousch doe all the point of entry mod's. Maybe Neilda can give up a contact that you can at least call to figure out the lights.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
In the UK, the Roush team perform the following mods so the GT meets our legislation...

New white front marker lights
New side turn indicators in the front wing
Change of rear side markers to amber colour to red
New Rear fog lamp
New reverse lamp
New fog lamp switch in place of original to add rear fog function with LED tell tales added
for both front and rear fog
New Speedometer with illuminated kph scale
Category 1 Cobra Thatcham approved alarm installation with new key fob to operate
central locking and immobiliser
Category 5 Cobra tracker security system (this requires an additional annual subscription
of £150 to activate the system)
Reconfigured software in the central control module of the car to activate all new electrical
functions
New Deep Cycle Battery to improve starting capability after prolonged storage
Battery charger with plug in point on vehicle to maintain optimum battery condition during
extended storage
Stainless steel front registration plate mounting bracket

Perhaps if you contacted David Jones at Roush he might be able to help you on the headlight conversion + 44 1277 261400.

Hope this helps....

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Gimbal
There should be know mods needed, just your headlights need to be adjusted to the straight ahead position if they are pointing to the right, our law requires them to point slightly left,or straight ahead. otherwise you should be good to go
Which port is she coming in to.
You could give simon a call at WSV [walton special vehichles]they have a GT that is complied to NZ law
ph 64-92728600.
I have a GT500 in there now getting converted for my father inlaw.
If you need anything don't hesitate to call me
:cheers nz05gt
Neil

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Nz05GT - long time no hear! Hows the car coming along? Sorry mate - forgot about ya down there as you've been to quiet......:cheers

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks for the info guys. The cars should arrive in Christchurch and I have been talking with Richard at Complete Automotive who is planning on getting them ready for registration thru Vinns. He has not done a GT before but says the only change needed is the headlights. I'll give Simon a ring tomorrow for any more info he might have.
Thanks,
John

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Gimbal
Sorry I gave you the wrong name it is jason not simon
I will be at WSV tommorrow morning and will ask jason
:cheers nz05gt
Neil

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Gimbal

Gimbal - hey, I thought you were just down the road from me! No wonder I haven't seen you at the open tracks or Shelby Club events. Are you ever coming back?

Ed

PS Did you bring the karts?

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Ed,
I have moved permanently to New Zealand and shipped almost everything I own in three containers on three different boats. I only plan on heading back on special occasions, one being rally III in vegas, but unfortunately without my GT. Now would be a good time to own two GT's.
See ya then,
John

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
I'm just about to get my GT into New Zealand, I think it shows up this week. Does anyone know what modifications will be necessary? I won't have to change to RHD but will have to mod the headlights. Anything else? Any methods to mod the headlights?
I have the Stillen exhaust with cats, will that be a problem?
Cheers to all:cheers,
John

Guess you folks in Kiwiland are lucky, it's extremely hard in Oz to legally drive a LHD car anywhere but the NT AFAIK. Frankly, after spending the $A69k that I did on RHD, I'm glad I did it. It would drive me nuts driving LHD on the left. Not to mention I reckon it would prove a real hazard mentally when traveling to the US and driving there. For me getting into a LHD car is like and automatic prompt to drive on the right, kind of a subconscious realisation that you're always driving next to the centre line.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi OzGT,
Thanks for your information. I'm still trying to compare the pros and cons of whether I should mod for RHD. Since I plan on remaining in NZ it might make sense to convert the GT but I do not plan on driving it daily, just on special occasions for the most part. I'm going thru the phase of switching my brain to drive on the left and getting the hang of it pretty good. When I do get a chance to drive a LHD on the left I will get a better feel for how annoying it might be. Maybe the double negative will appeal to me? I know passing will be an issue but with the GT it won't take long to pass. With flying airplanes and helicopters I am use to having to switch my brain a bit no problem. Boats are RHD too.
The GT is an engineered "Super Car" designed by Ford as a LHD so it concerns me a little on the major mods to the steering. Although I believe the originals were actually designed as RHD. The cost of the conversion is nearly enough to prevent me from doing it too. I'll drive it as is for a while and decide later what to do. Right now I just need to get it certified for NZ so I can get it registered and insured so I can get it!!!!! It's sitting around somewhere in Christchurch in someone elses hands. I'm waitng for some customs piece of paper to be delivered to me so I can sign it and get customs to release it. But I can start to see some light thru the tunnel, hopefully next weeeeeek.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Hi OzGT,
Thanks for your information. I'm still trying to compare the pros and cons of whether I should mod for RHD. Since I plan on remaining in NZ it might make sense to convert the GT but I do not plan on driving it daily, just on special occasions for the most part. I'm going thru the phase of switching my brain to drive on the left and getting the hang of it pretty good. When I do get a chance to drive a LHD on the left I will get a better feel for how annoying it might be. Maybe the double negative will appeal to me? I know passing will be an issue but with the GT it won't take long to pass. With flying airplanes and helicopters I am use to having to switch my brain a bit no problem. Boats are RHD too.
The GT is an engineered "Super Car" designed by Ford as a LHD so it concerns me a little on the major mods to the steering. Although I believe the originals were actually designed as RHD. The cost of the conversion is nearly enough to prevent me from doing it too. I'll drive it as is for a while and decide later what to do. Right now I just need to get it certified for NZ so I can get it registered and insured so I can get it!!!!! It's sitting around somewhere in Christchurch in someone elses hands. I'm waitng for some customs piece of paper to be delivered to me so I can sign it and get customs to release it. But I can start to see some light thru the tunnel, hopefully next weeeeeek.

Main thing with driving on Left vs Right on the road is the centre line is always there so to speak as to opposed to in the air or on water where there's no need to think about 'sides' as such.

I can assure you the that steering is the first thing that comes to mind in such a delicate conversion- no compromise being acceptable at all there. In the case of the GT, the mid engine nature is definitely a plus in terms of the steering conversion, a lot more straight forward that way. My car is absolutely flawless in regards to steering dynamics. I've never had an issue with either of my 2 other current US converted Fords or any of the previous ones I've driven as well. Cost wise, it's a lot, but to accurately 'reflect' and maintain the original interior 100% takes many man hours of work, so I don't begrudge it. A 'normal' GT500 conversion is around $39k at a min anyway.

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hey John-

I am glad to see you and your car made it down to NZ safely! We are gearing up for the Targa rally and will be shipping our car back down there in September or October.

In regards to the headlights, we spoke with the guys from Roush in England (specifically David Jones, really good guy) and they informed us that there is nothing that can be done to redirect the lights. This might be a long shot but I'm sure if there is some sort of certification or exemption that Roush in England has received you could probably forward that to the inspectors in New Zealand.

By the way, what do you think of the weather down there lately? I've heard it's been a wet winter so far.

Last edited:

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi OzGT, All good points. The center line certainly helps. I find myself favouring the right side in parking lots....no centerline! And once in a while I head towards the left to get in and then realize I'm on the wrong side and I have to pretend I am just putting something in that side and then try and cooly walk over to the right side to get in :)
Glad to hear your first hand experience with the conversion is performing well.
Cheers, John

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Kyle, Good to hear from you and glad you will be down for the Targa. I'm all signed up and set for the Narva Targa tour. I have a navigator who has raced and navigated for the last ten years so all should go smooth and be fun!
I spoke with a guy Niel knows who has certified at least one GT here in NZ. He says there are really no required mods and the headlights need no adjustment because they dip up and down already not left or right. Apparently up and down dipping is OK. He did have to do a bit of finagaling? to get it thru though. Hopefully it all goes ok but will contact David if necessary.
It is winter here but the last couple months have been very nice weather, maybe 3 rain days and 2 snow days otherwise fairly warm and very sunny, just short days though :( but they are getting longer now. The winter festival starts here in Queenstown today apparently a big 10 day party.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I finally have my GT in my garage. I had a beautiful 6 hour drive thru the snowy mountains of New Zealand with clear roads. It took 2 months and about $10k to get my GT and GMC Denali Truck from California to southern New Zealand. Not too bad, a month would have been better.
I now have experience driving each side of the road on each side of the car. I'm use to driving the right side of the road with a LHD. I'm managing with driving on the left side of the road with either LHD or RHD.
I do not plan on converting the GT to RHD ever. I might do it for the Denali but the jury is still out.
Stay cool while I try and stay warm!

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
I finally have my GT in my garage. I had a beautiful 6 hour drive thru the snowy mountains of New Zealand with clear roads. It took 2 months and about $10k to get my GT and GMC Denali Truck from California to southern New Zealand. Not too bad, a month would have been better.
I now have experience driving each side of the road on each side of the car. I'm use to driving the right side of the road with a LHD. I'm managing with driving on the left side of the road with either LHD or RHD.
I do not plan on converting the GT to RHD ever. I might do it for the Denali but the jury is still out.
Stay cool while I try and stay warm!

All I can say is better you than me bro. My head would done in trying to drive LHD on the left after a while. Particularly then jumping into my RHD Cayenne straight after a session driving the GT in LHD.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
In the UK, the Roush team perform the following mods so the GT meets our legislation...

New white front marker lights
New side turn indicators in the front wing
Change of rear side markers to amber colour to red
New Rear fog lamp
New reverse lamp
New fog lamp switch in place of original to add rear fog function with LED tell tales added
for both front and rear fog
New Speedometer with illuminated kph scale
Category 1 Cobra Thatcham approved alarm installation with new key fob to operate
central locking and immobiliser
Category 5 Cobra tracker security system (this requires an additional annual subscription
of £150 to activate the system)
Reconfigured software in the central control module of the car to activate all new electrical
functions
New Deep Cycle Battery to improve starting capability after prolonged storage
Battery charger with plug in point on vehicle to maintain optimum battery condition during
extended storage
Stainless steel front registration plate mounting bracket

Perhaps if you contacted David Jones at Roush he might be able to help you on the headlight conversion + 44 1277 261400.

Hope this helps....

wow...I admire you for making such a big move....I thought bringing my GT to California was big! After looking at that list...I got so dizzy the 4 words that popped out were.."prolonged storage and extended storage"
good on ya for doin' it! good luck down there. Meet ya at the Rally I hope!