Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring underway

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
$@?&?&!@!&?$?@?@, Son of a b......., I need to go break something.....!!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
5th still good, there's still potential.

Going to sleep now. Good Night guys

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So close yet so far. Good race though. Made it through the 12 hours with none of the major reliability hassles from Rolex. Onward!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
A BMW took out the #66

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Made it through the 12 hours with none of the major reliability hassles from Rolex. Onward!

BIG step forward.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Progress each race. Onward and upward.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
With such close racing, I'm wondrous about the lag in acceleration caused by the turbos when coming out of each yellow flag period. Just a layman's observation....

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
With such close racing, I'm wondrous about the lag in acceleration caused by the turbos when coming out of each yellow flag period. Just a layman's observation....

I was thinking the same thing. Not getting the air it needs or IC temp?

Corvette is going to be a force. I'm not sure they can do much to them this year. Maybe they need to stop adjusting BOP and weight on the GT's.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The GT clearly did not like the restarts. Nevertheless, a big improvement over Daytona. Good show Ford.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Good progress... Keep moving up the ladder Ford... Good to see no major issues as well.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Electric Turbos ? Lag reduction? weight issues?
andy (ajb)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Electric Turbos ? Lag reduction? weight issues?
andy (ajb)
R

You're on the right track.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Splish splash

031916_sebring_bc_76974.jpg

VSA_WTSC_SEB16_SP1_5058.jpg

imsa-sebring-2016-67-ford-performance-chip-ganassi-racing-ford-gt-ryan-briscoe-richard-wes.jpg

imsa-sebring-2016-67-ford-performance-chip-ganassi-racing-ford-gt-ryan-briscoe-richard-wes.jpg

imsa-sebring-2016-66-ford-performance-chip-ganassi-racing-ford-gt-sebastien-bourdais-joey.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I find it unlikely that lag in the traditional sense was what was causing the car to be slow off cautions and restarts. It wasn't like it was just the exit speed off corners. When Dixon's stint ended and Briscoe hopped in the car was noticeably slower for a number of laps, and it seemed to me to be more than just filling the car with fuel or swapping tires would account for. Seemed like when everything got cycled on and off, something was unhappy for a couple minutes. I assume they switch calibrations when under caution as well, so same deal. I did hear the #67 was smoking from the tailpipe during the final hours of the race under caution, but not under WOT. Could all be my imagination.

I'll also leave you with this: The car was middle of the pack in terms of fastest lap. There were a couple cars faster, a couple cars slower. That was with the GT seemingly coming off the corners at a leisurely pace after making up ground under braking and through the corners. This was in its second race where the team is, let's call it, "pursuing reliability." I think Spa will probably be the first race pre-LM where you can truly say the wick has been turned up all the way.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I watched 20+ laps, of Joey Hand in #66, in car video around 9 p.m. local time. He put in some great driving in less than great conditions. He must have passed 2 cars per lap during the time I watched. And , if I remember correctly, he was passed only once or twice! A text book lesson on using the brakes and car placement. And understanding the GT's engine's capabilities. Noticeable difference between his and other cars acceleration on exiting corners.

Would love to see a lap chart for his late night stint. I was very impressed.

btw saw an IMSA post on f/b re:TV broadcast. They will be talking seriously with Fox on channel switching, etc. I was very disappointed with the broadcast during the final hour. Tired chatter by announcers, lots of ad time, and not much racing. At least they got the late pass and eventual winner right. Pure luck on their part I assume.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
So close yet so far. Good race though. Made it through the 12 hours with none of the major reliability hassles from Rolex. Onward!

This^^. Watched all 12 hours via Direct TV. Reliability won for Ford without a doubt. Now time to think about podium and the win in La Mans. They really ran the program through the rigors with this one. Good test and data in the big picture.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
btw saw an IMSA post on f/b re:TV broadcast. They will be talking seriously with Fox on channel switching, etc. I was very disappointed with the broadcast during the final hour. Tired chatter by announcers, lots of ad time, and not much racing. At least they got the late pass and eventual winner right. Pure luck on their part I assume.

It was such a disaster. They need to just stream the entire race on IMSA.com. I think the Radio Le Mans guys are good enough. The channel switching, ads, dropped feeds...ugh, what a mess.

I just arrange my large monitor into quadrants. Timing & Scoring, Race Broadcast, In-Car feed and Twitter for instant updates. It's not always in sync but it's a whole lot better than the garbage Fox is managing to scrape together. They even got that perfect NASCAR touch doing a corporate interview while missing a late pass for the overall lead.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Some great photos!

The big group spinout on looked like a train wreck - you don't want to see what is going to happen but just can't stop watching it. And the track didn't even look that wet. "The art of racing in the rain".

Are they allowed to change to different tires during rain? I don't recall seeing anything about it in the rules.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There was standing water in many places on the track. Sebring is very old school and rough. It's part of the charm. Teams will have issues in the 12 hours there that they won't have in 24 hours anywhere else. It was so wet this year we had to take shelter under the Corvette display tent. That's desperation.