Metal weight on transaxle's shift arm

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I noticed that a large metal weight was attached to the transaxle's shift arm that handles the forward and backwards motion of the shifter. I guess that is there to improve shifting feel by adding some inertia to the shift lever. It is too bad the weight seems to be riveted in, or I would remove it to see how the shifting feel changes. Removing it would be somewhat destructive. You can drill out the rivet to remove it. To replace it you could drill a hole in the weight, tap it and the just attach it with a bolt with loctite.

BlackICE

Aug 25, 2006
I suspect like you that the weight plays a roll in the smooth engagement.

Since the shifter is cable and great distance I would place odds that it helps to maintain movement once the motion is initiated at the shifter reducing the push more that the pull factor also keeping undo stress/pressure from having to be applied through the cables.

Good eyes

Shadowman

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
When I installed my headers I looked at that too, and was tempted to remove it to see what would happen...

How about adding some weight to it (wheel balancing lead and duck tape..:) and see what that does to the feel in the lever... Then decide if the opposite direction would be the way to go...

Well - just a thought.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
In numerous discussions with the FGT engineers while at the Detroit rally and Ford Centenial I have come to the conclusion the team reviewed all aspects of our car components critically. The brake designers fought for every milimeter of rotor diameter for swept area which was traded against weight. The team was VERY cognizant of vehicle weight. To have such a large weight on our transaxle shift lever, it must have a very specific (and necessary) purpose. To think this lever arm weight slipped by under the scrutiny radar is unrealistic.

I believe as has already been posted the weight is most probably for shifter feel, however there could be another reason. The arm may have a dynamic excitation somewhere in the operating range that the team thought it best to damp. Thus if you remove the weight the arm may vibrate (or be excited to vibrate) with undesireable consequences. Just a thought. I have seen similar weights added to other automotive parts for just this purpose.

I know we are all "tinkers" and think we can always optimize our GT components, but give Fred's engineering team a little credit. They DID their homework on this car!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I couldn't agree more ! The engineers did a great job and we shouldn't always secondguess all and everything...
I wouldn't even think twice about increasing or decreasing such things and expect an improvement...