McIntosh Audio - Alternate Perspective

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
In the mid-60s, there were roughly a half-dozen players in the American audio industry.

They included Fisher, H.H. Scott, Altec Lansing, JBL, Marantz...and McIntosh.

If you had the financial capacity, you owned McIntosh or (the less expensive) Marantz.

McIntosh had a classy look that it carried for decades. Black glass panels (ads used to show technicians cleaning those panels) with chrome side trim, "Pan-Loc" buttons and blue illumination.

Great sound and unique look. All American and highly prestigious.

(The Japanese equipment...came later and to general jaundiced reception).

The use of McIntosh (no longer the same company but same classic appearance) was a fitting choice for a car meant to represent the style and thinking of "the day."

- doc

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Doc,

Totally agree with your Mac assessment but would like to add as has been previously stated:

Packaging the Mac with that fugly oversized intrusive subwoofer totally turned me and many others off. The Mac is all-American '60's retro :thumbsup and the sub is adolescent '90's-to- present "thumpa thumpa thumpa" :frown.

Having said that, to each his own, variety and difference of opinion make the world go 'round!!!!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Kirk:

Completely understand your position.

- doc

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
I ordered mine without the Mac, simply because of the intrusive sub-woofer. I checked the parts catalog illustration first and saw what looks like a little additional storage without the speaker. Any of you guys without the Mac regret it?

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Not for a minute. The standard radio sounds OK, nothing to brag about, however. Truth is I've only turned it on twice, once to make sure it worked. And this is from a guy who ALWAYS drives with good tunes. I'm guessing the Mac sounds better (although I have not heard one) but that sub was just a dealbreaker. And although I don't toss $ around, the $4k had nada to do with my decision.

If the Mac w/ sub was the only available option, however, I still would have bought the car!! :banana

Johnny Speed

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Indiana
Some of us like our GT's without stripes...

Some prefer the standard wheels...

Some like painted brake calipers...

and some of us GT owners appreciate and enjoy the Mac option as the engineers intended... :thumbsup

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
what stereo?

Great stereo lesson. I have the McIntosh in our red car and ordered the gulf car without it. I NEVER listen to tunes in the GT as the engine is all I want to hear. My son on the other hand insists on the boom boom car with the big speaker. I cannot tell a difference in the sound quality. I can obviously hear the bigger bass with the boom boom speaker. It also does get in the way and the little storage slot is actually pretty handy.
It will be interesting to watch and see how many folks pull the mcIntosh out including the boom boom speaker. I know that aftermarket suppliers are already working on a cheaper replacement piece for tha center section.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
For me, cars and music are inseparable experiences. My kids are all musicians, yet I wager that I listen to more music than do they. Almost 2700 songs on my iPOD; never a time without some song playing somewhere in my environment; likely common for kids out of the 60s.

- doc

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would add Tandberg to that list; obviously Scandininavian -- but simiar old school styling qeues and Rosewood sides. Now long gone; some trade on Ebay at Premiums

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I was referring to uniquely American engineering and people like Saul Marantz, Avery Fisher, James B. Lansing, etc. The parallel I was attempting to make is that there is no more fitting electronics for this car than one by those Americans who reigned supreme in stereo when the American GT40 reigned supreme at LeMans. Most of those electronics back then were analogue (tube).

-doc

Last edited:

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Radios

I do not listen to any music whatsoever and specifically did not want a car with 4000 worthless (to me) radio with that ridiculous monstrosity of a speaker. I specifically ordered my car with the regular radio and the cubby hole and view of the supercharger are worth every penny I saved. The radio, btw, works fine. The am is ok. I suppose the FM works. I particually do like the fact that it has a 24 hr clock that is easily set.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
eshrink said:
For me, cars and music are inseparable experiences.

- doc

I agree. On short hops I love listening to the engine and supercharger, but on a long trip I prefer to put on the AC and my favorite tunes. At the Saleen tour today I spoke with one of the electical engineers. Evidently a lot of design work went into the subwoofer to fit it into the GT. For example the magnet pulls rather than pushes the cone to conserve space. He felt the high price was justified considering what was required to get good sound in the GT cabin.
IMHO I don't think the MAC system is worth $4000 and I hate the instrusion of the subwoofer and loss of storage space. But then again I love the sound quality and ability to run my ipod through the AUX input.
But the MAC detractors have valid points so when I am able to buy a second GT, I hope I can find one without the MAC. Let's face it, we all want our cake and eat it too. :cheers

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I will be working with a friend of mine on a reversible, double din solution that will enable you to install a nice aftermarket DVD/CD/NAV player. He is coming down in a couple of weeks and we will see what kind of clearance we will have for the face when it swings open, as well as matching up the leather so it looks OEM. If this happens, I will update you guys. :thumbsup