Maybe crazy, but can suspension be softened?

GTX1Soon

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2006
After doing much research, reading the forums, and tracking ebay sales prices, I finally got a chance to agree on a purchase price with a local dealer, and test drive the Ford GT today.

The acceleration was more than I could believe! I was up to 70 in 3rd gear before I chanced a glance away from the center RPM gauge to the MPH gauge off to the right. I have never experienced anything like it!

The suspension however was not at all what I was expecting. It was so stiff that driving over even typical rough spots on the road (not potholes mind you) jarred my body, even clinking my teeth together.

I was expecting something more like the Vette or the Viper. I am sure the GT suspension is outstanding for racing, but I was hoping to drive this to work once a week. But with the ride I experienced, I would arrive with multiple bruises I think.

The dealer said that the suspension was adjustable, but I had not heard of this. If so, does it adjust enough to make this a reasonable 25 mile ride once a week on typical California highways? Or, is there an aftermarket kit that would let me loosen it up a great deal, just for road trips?

I hope my expectations were not unrealistic since EVERYTHING else about the car totally blows my mind!

Thanks!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Adjustable? Who is your dealer kidding? First thing I'd check is the tire pressure. Look at the bottom of the B pillar. Sounds underinflated.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I found the car spung much softer than a thought for a car of this type. I may want to stiffen it up. If you go too soft and drive at a high speed you may lose stability and control of the car. For crusing at any legal speeds in CA the car can be softer.

BlackICE

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
GTX, I'd be tempted to own the car for a few months before tinkering with the suspension.

In stock form, the GT treads a fine line between an extremely comfortable road car and a harder edged sports car. For normal use (and I'm a normal user) which is fast road driving and the ocassional track day, the set up is pretty perfect. If I was doing more track work, I might stiffen it - however I wouldn't want the suspension softer than it is already.

Try living with it for a while before changing the suspension would be my advice.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
The suspension is not too soft. It is nice and responsive, with the right tire pressure the car will be sweet on Calif Highways..
For a racetrack, I'd like something stiffer, and less bodynick when breaking hard.

Take it as it is. The GTX anyhow will be different. It's lower, has (I think) adjustable rideheight, but also bigger rims and narrower tyre shoulder height.

Hence it will ride stiffer than the GT, that's pretty clear !

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
A car with a top speed over 200 MPH needs a certain amount of stiffness. Unfortunately, hitting bumps at low speed is more noticeable.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I agree with the above advice.....drive and live with it for awhile before you make any decisions on suspension modifications.
BTW, 70mph in 3rd? You should have hit 70 right after grabbing 2nd gear :banana

H

HHGT

I drove Vettes and a Z06 for years and I know every inch of ALL SOCAL HWYS. Try taking 60 FWY east bound interchange to the 57 south bound. The expansion joints are so bad it made every vette rear end jump a few inches in either cruise or fun mode. When I got the GT I specifically went to that location and I can tell you first hand the GT handles in a superior manner.

Also tried the following locations with the same results.

5N from the 101/60 Downtown interchange
10E near the Cabazon exit
15S by the Immigration check point
8E by the Julian exit

Should I keep going?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Sam,
Try going Westbound from 605 on the 10, I think this is the worse stretch of freeways around us. My friend told me the other day that he saw my facial muscle jiggleing riding in his Exige. Yes, I had to keep my teeth clentched riding in the car. I also have a Lotus and I dare say the FGT rides like a Caddy compared to the Lotus.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
For normal city driving, the GT suspension is great. I would not even consider making it softer though. It is soft enough. I wish it were stiffer. The Front of the car really moves up and down.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
fjpikul said:
Adjustable? Who is your dealer kidding? First thing I'd check is the tire pressure. Look at the bottom of the B pillar. Sounds underinflated.
I would agree that first check tire pressures. IMO the GT is very sensitive to tire pressure changes and rides harshly when set too high. If you want a softer than stock ride you could perhaps even lower the tire pressures a tad below the factory recommended settings for those rides to work. The GT is a sublime combination of ride and handling. :thumbsup

MotoCzysz

GT Owner
Sep 18, 2006
IMO the rear is to stiff even for the track, it needs more mechanical grip i.e. weight transfer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
MotoCzysz said:
IMO the rear is to stiff even for the track, it needs more mechanical grip i.e. weight transfer.

OT, but you don't actually have a MotoCzysz bike do you?

MotoCzysz

GT Owner
Sep 18, 2006
Well yes- I am Michael Czysz.
Great to meet another car guy who likes bikes.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ha, no way! So you've got a GT? That's great.

MotoCzysz said:
Well yes- I am Michael Czysz.
Great to meet another car guy who likes bikes.

MotoCzysz

GT Owner
Sep 18, 2006
Can't ride a bike everywhere!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The C1 looks an incredible machine....

Welcome to the Forum Michael, I look forward to reading more about your GT.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
MotoCzysz said:

I have had many supercars and race cars as well, and agree completely. Hoping the Penske adjustable will help some.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
MotoCzysz said:
Well yes- I am Michael Czysz..

Michael,
You of all people should be able to get a Ohlins setup for your GT...

bella15.jpg

I've got mine setup pretty hard for track days ect, and it works quite well. I stiffend the front more than the rears, and it got rid of most of the understeer....

MotoCzysz

GT Owner
Sep 18, 2006
I've got mine setup pretty hard for track days ect, and it works quite well. I stiffend the front more than the rears, and it got rid of most of the understeer....[/QUOTE]

Actually a stiffer front than rear sould increase understeer and decrease oversteer but that said- I think you have solved step one, new tires! Your car looks great.