Marring and scratching bolt heads

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Hi, I find that I am marring the cad plating on nuts and bolts that I work on, particularly the larger ones that require more torque on disassembly and installation. I have less trouble working on airplanes since most fasteners are smaller, loaded in shear and requiring less torque. My sockets and wrenches are Craftsman. Do I need to step up to a better brand? Hopefully not Snap-On since that might bankrupt me....

Thanks.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
Hi, I find that I am marring the cad plating on nuts and bolts that I work on, particularly the larger ones that require more torque on disassembly and installation. I have less trouble working on airplanes since most fasteners are smaller, loaded in shear and requiring less torque. My sockets and wrenches are Craftsman. Do I need to step up to a better brand? Hopefully not Snap-On since that might bankrupt me....

Thanks.
if you want quality tools Snap -on is the way to go

Aug 25, 2006

Thanks.

My experience is that that the tolerances are closer with the Snap-On when compared to Craftsman which would certainly help to reduce and yet not eliminate this issue.

If the suspension bolts are being referenced then the head can be wrapped with blue tape.

Takes care

Shadowman

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
My personal toolbox is a mix of Craftsman, Hazet and Snap-on.
Snap-on tools are Ok, you are paying for the name and if you work in the automotive trade, it is handy to have their truck come by replace your warranty stuff that breaks.
As long as your Craftsman set is not overly worn (all brands wear) you should be fine.
That being said, I have certain preferences in certain tools from certain company's.
I like Snap-on 1/4 drive socket sets, but prefer Craftsman 1/2 thin wall deep sockets
Out of curiousity what bolts are you marking/marring?
Mike

Last edited:

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
The bolts in question are larger ones like frame extension, coilover mounting bolts. Stuff with over 50lb-ft required. I will try the blue tape trick.

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
If memory serves me correctly the frame rail extension bolts are painted, I had some frame paint made up for the rear extension bolts and various other touch ups.
I never thought of using tape to protect the bolts,
Thanks Shadowman. Great idea! and I though I was anal

Attachments

• take_it.gif
    take_it.gif
    3 KB · Views: 236

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My experience is that that the tolerances are closer with the Snap-On when compared to Craftsman which would certainly help to reduce and yet not eliminate this issue.

If the suspension bolts are being referenced then the head can be wrapped with blue tape.

Takes care

Shadowman

Another trick is zip lock sandwich bag. Hold over fastener and shove socket on over it.

AJK

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Good tips on preventive methods.

I had trouble with muffler mounting system nuts and bolts - not badly marred, but not perfect either.

Decided return to perfection would only come with new hardware, and the tape trick and extra care on assembly.

Ordered parts from Ford. Net prices were like $3 and $4 a piece! Yipes! Thought the high price was because of the plating. Not so, parts that came were not plated. Also, due to error in parts diagram, there was a mis-match between the bolt ( 13mm hex ) and the nuts (15mm). The nuts were actually the nuts that go on the clamps between stock muffler and cats.

Anyway, just trying to make the point that replacement parts - at least fasteners - may not be up to what you would expect.

I sent them back, figuring for that kind of money I could go with all Stainless and not have to deal with plating. If you're careful with the stainless you shouldn't have marks, and if you get minor marks, I think you could polish them out.

Much as I want the car to remain original and perfect, I have to face the reality that if you drive it or work on it, there are going to be marks. I guess you just have to be as careful as possible in both driving and working.

Aug 25, 2006
Another trick is zip lock sandwich bag. Hold over fastener and shove socket on over it.

AJK

AJK; now this too was a great idea

Thank you

Shadowman