Market softening for FGT?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
All the auction houses create a total Broadway production. I've sold cars at BJ and Kruse both and they get you in a head lock up on stage and start whispering in your ear what the real bid is and the real money and start lowering their commissions on the spot. if you read the disclaimer on the back of any of the auction entry forms they say right in there that they have the right to inflate the price at their discretion meaning that they have bogus bidders in the audience to get the price up. I hate the stress of selling at any of these auctions and never gauge the real market on the GTs by the auctions like Shelby said. I was just saying that Mecum to me looks like a circus going on compared BJ but that's just another opinion.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I agree,
I have very little interest is Auction Crap Circus'.
I'm sure mine will be part of my Estate Settlement . LUV that car.
To that point: I took delivery of a '16 Z0 6 Convertible -great car - but no Ford GT.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Well if your Ford GT is not for sale, then I guess it doesn't matter what the market is doing!

I check the value of my stock portfolio on a daily basis. Why not know current valuations of the FGT, especially if I may be interested in purchasing another?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Auction houses make 16-24% on a typical transaction. They make money coming and going. It's all about sell through rates.
Someone on another forum said auction houses are "the world's second oldest profession".

It's fun to go to BJ and see the buzz, glitz, circus. People at home see you on Speed TV, etc.
Downside is chandelier bidding, under the table deals. Not always transparent.
There's currently a sense of "auction fatigue" with so many events. New auction houses popping up. Car investment funds, etc.
It dilutes the product, especially quality consignments.

I'd rather go to a reputable dealer than trying to assess a car's condition/history at an auction.
On high end items (vintage Ferrari's etc), I have consulted a reliable broker with a typical 5% fee on the transaction that the seller pays.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Regardless of color I consider myself very fortunate enough to own one of the most iconic cars of all time.

Cheers

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Auctions are properly for cars that dealers take on trade-in, because they have to, but that they don't want. Wholesale auctions of crap cars make perfect sense.

The only winners in "collector" (anything but junk) auctions, for the most part, are the auctioneers.

The proliferation of auctions is surely a sign of a big bubble. This bubble, however, will be sustained for longer than many bubbles by the millions of baby boomers. Boomers who are retiring by the thousands every day. Then, after a while of not being distracted by a work week, or children, suddenly realize that their money may outlast them. Can't let that happen.

A bubble nevertheless, when you see previously unwanted cars zooming in price only because the really good stuff is out of reach of most.

When you see Cadillac Cimarrons (or equivalent) being bid up, kiss your ass goodbye...you're already to late to bail.

Judging by the cars being offered by the lesser auctions, that day is not far off.

If you're looking for investment, only buy the best of the best. Otherwise, buy something cool and enjoy driving it.