mk ii.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Rebekah is there. Where is Rex?
View attachment 68933
he was just the chauffeur...paid gig for Rebekah.

Reactions: Ed Sims

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
A few pics of BBRGT’s car from Laguna. Awesome machine and it was really cool to be able to watch it fly around the circuit! Impressive driving in a machine that’s literally substantially faster than the GTE-Pro car was!

View attachment 68907View attachment 68908View attachment 68909View attachment 68910View attachment 68911View attachment 68912
It was great meeting you at Laguna , the car is at another level to any thing I have driven before , looking forward to getting it on track in the new year .

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
It sure look's great. I am sure the Mark IV will bring some smiles to all involved especially the driver. Rock the Red with that jewel!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes, it was a fantastic weekend at the track. I'll post up some pictures from my phone shortly.

I found Tom Hutchinson there, who is the chief designer for Mulitmatic for the MK IV and got him yakking about the technical details for a half hour. It's a very different car from the Mk II. About the only things that are the same are the center tub, windshield, and a few other bits. Mulitmatic and Ford agreed that changing the center tub would be too expensive, so they had to keep that common, but the front subframe, rear subframe, suspension parts, all the body panels, etc. are different. Even the diffuser, which starts at about the middle of the car, whereas the diffuser on the MK II starts about 2/3 of the way back. That moves the center of pressure forward a bit and helps balance the down force front to rear. Consequently, the keel is different in shape and length. As you can see in the pics, the front aero is quite different too.

Speaking of down force, the car generates about 2400 lbs of downforce at about 150MPH. That can be varied by changing the angle of the rear wing, but not by much, because then it upsets that front to rear balance. Although Tom said that they worked to balance the car to work well at a variety of tracks, I'm pretty sure that it gives up top speed at fast tracks due to the induced drag. But it gets time back in corners because it can pull 2G's. That's getting into F1 territory. We discussed lots of other details, such as why the MK IV does not have front fender top vents, and the MK II does, but too much to go into here.

Engine: It's 3.8 liters, essentially a bored and stroked 3.5 block. Heads are worked to use the additional displacement, but it's not a higher RPM engine. Redline is still around 6500, IIRC. Race gas of course. Boost is not particularly high, running in the 1.5 bar range must of the time, maybe a bit more. Race gas of course. I didn't ask him what CR it runs, but I suspect it bumps up the CR a little to generate 800HP on that moderate amount of boost. I didn't ask what the rod ratio was, although I wanted to know that number too.

Brake are carbon-carbon, not carbon ceramic like on the MK II. The rotors have a lot of 3mm holes drilled radially to ventilate them and remove heat. Pads are different too, to match the carbon-carbon rotors. The pads are really thick, about 3/4" by my visual estimate. Those are intended to run a full endurance race. I didn't ask if the rotors are different sizes, but they probably are, since they use different materials.

Wheels and track. The track is about 40mm wider--20mm per side-- than the MK II, thus the bodywork is wider too. The wheels are forged aluminum instead of carbon fiber. I asked Tom why, and he said it's for durability and impact resistance, and the carbon fiber wheels don't weigh much less than good aluminum wheels. We discussed some of the finer points of using unidirectional carbon fiber vs. aluminum in wheels and other structural and suspension parts.

Suspension: It's different from the MK II also. Looking under the cars side by side, I could see the parts are different, but I didn't dwell on that too much.

Bottom line: If you are not already a race-winning driver in an advanced class, you will need a lot of seat time and coaching to begin to approach the limits of this machine.

Last edited:

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
Yes, it was a fantastic weekend at the track. I'll post up some pictures from my phone shortly.

I found Tom Hutchinson there, who is the chief designer for Mulitmatic for the MK IV and got him yakking about the technical details for a half hour. It's a very different car from the Mk II. About the only things that are the same are the center tub, windshield, and a few other bits. Mulitmatic and Ford agreed that changing the center tub would be too expensive, so they had to keep that common, but the front subframe, rear subframe, suspension parts, all the body panels, etc. are different. Even the diffuser, which starts at about the middle of the car, whereas the diffuser on the MK II starts about 2/3 of the way back. That moves the center of pressure forward a bit and helps balance the down force front to rear. Consequently, the keel is different in shape and length. As you can see in the pics, the front aero is quite different too.

Speaking of down force, the car generates about 2400 lbs of downforce at about 150MPH. That can be varied by changing the angle of the rear wing, but not by much, because then it upsets that front to rear balance. Although Tom said that they worked to balance the car to work well at a variety of tracks, I'm pretty sure that it gives up top speed at fast tracks due to the induced drag. But it gets time back in corners because it can pull 2G's. That's getting into F1 territory. We discussed lots of other details, such as why the MK IV does not have front fender top vents, and the MK II does, but too much to go into here.

Engine: It's 3.8 liters, essentially a bored and stroked 3.5 block. Heads are worked to use the additional displacement, but it's not a higher RPM engine. Redline is still around 6500, IIRC. Race gas of course. Boost is not particularly high, running in the 1.5 bar range must of the time, maybe a bit more. Race gas of course. I didn't ask him what CR it runs, but I suspect it bumps up the CR a little to generate 800HP on that moderate amount of boost. I didn't ask what the rod ratio was, although I wanted to know that number too.

Brake are carbon-carbon, not carbon ceramic like on the MK II. The rotors have a lot of 3mm holes drilled radially to ventilate them and remove heat. Pads are different too, to match the carbon-carbon rotors. The pads are really thick, about 3/4" by my visual estimate. Those are intended to run a full endurance race. I didn't ask if the rotors are different sizes, but they probably are, since they use different materials.

Wheels and track. The track is about 40mm wider--20mm per side-- than the MK II, thus the bodywork is wider too. The wheels are forged aluminum instead of carbon fiber. I asked Tom why, and he said it's for durability and impact resistance, and the carbon fiber wheels don't weigh much less than good aluminum wheels. We discussed some of the finer points of using unidirectional carbon fiber vs. aluminum in wheels and other structural and suspension parts.

Suspension: It's different from the MK II also. Looking under the cars side by side, I could see the parts are different, but I didn't dwell on that too much.

Bottom line: If you are not already a race-winning driver in an advanced class, you will need a lot of seat time and coaching to begin to approach the limits of this machine.
The pads are 30mm thick and you can run the car on 93 octane if you choose but Multimatic recommends race fuel .
I found the car to be very easy to drive in map 2 , but map 3 is a big step up . The power delivery is totally different from the Mark II and overall the Mark IV does everything better.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I had a blast! I went with Jim and Pete. I've never been to an event like this. The only thing missing on the MKIV is noise but it certainly makes up for it in other areas. It was great to meet you Ed and Rex. I really enjoyed all the stories.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Great write-up Pete. Just to add a couple of points of interest: Wheelbase of the Mk4 is 50mm longer, but the overall footprint is the same as Mk2.

Mk4 Suspension is constant variable design - adaptive/active & offers cockpit/driver adjustability vs. Mk2 passive adjustable DSSV vs. selectable DSSV on our ‘standard’ GT’s.

Also, speaking with the DD S. Maxwell, there are three (3) selections for power 500HP, 700HP and 800HP+. He said that he utilized 500HP to warm the tires and felt the 700 setting best suited the duty cycle & Sonoma circuit.

IMO the car is about as close to F1 performance and insanity. I believe it’s going to tease Ford to do what it really needs to do - HyperCar - or - another GT in say, 2027 (60 years from 1967😁) - It’s that damn good! Congrats to MultiMatic, Ford and some lucky owners!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Rebekah is there. Where is Rex?
View attachment 68933
Ed - Rebecka let me have a long leash. 😂
I wanted to see the cars at the far end of the circuit (turns 2-6) - how the cars handled elevation changes and the off/on camber sections.

Last edited:

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
IMG_2934.jpeg
Close up of the wheel , most of the buttons are self explanatory, , the ASV + and - control the 5 modes of the active spool valve dampers , the centre rotary is used to select the 3 engine maps , auto shift mode , epas steering effort and reset fuel usage .
Once you select the mode you can alter the settings using buttons on the back of the wheel. The traction control and ABS rotary dials have 10 and 12 settings , the EC drive and EC man are used for the Megaline auto clutch , in drive mode you select first gear , engage the wheel mounted clutch level and drive away . In EC man mode you use the clutch lever manually . The system also has an anti stall feature .
You can see on the bottom of the dash the current engine map , ABS and TC mode selected.
The dash displays tire pressures , predictive lap time and current lap , if you select lap on the lower rotary dial you can reset the reference lap used for the predictive feature . The 2 smaller displays are the side mirrors and the right side display also has the shift lights .

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
A couple shots of the Ford display, and a carbon fiber 68 Mustang.

Attachments

• IMG_7015.jpeg
    IMG_7015.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7001.jpeg
    IMG_7001.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7003.jpeg
    IMG_7003.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7006.jpeg
    IMG_7006.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 21

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
A shot of the vintage racing from the VIP box and some of the vintage race cars. The #33 is one of three Dusenbergs.

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpeg
    IMG_6993.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6994.jpeg
    IMG_6994.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7009.jpeg
    IMG_7009.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 13

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
A bottle of excellent Malbec from Doug’s winery in Yountville, and Mount Shasta through the windshield on I-5, on the return trip.

Attachments

• IMG_7026.jpeg
    IMG_7026.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6992.jpeg
    IMG_6992.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
700 hp for short tracks and 800 hp for open road racing. Perfect 🏁

Reactions: steved57

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
MKIV at Sonoma

Reactions: drilling

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
This is truly the ultimate!
IMHO the first real 'Hyper Car',
that does not look like just an upgraded P1 or DPI.
Agree, like a F1 with a passenger seat.
Would be awesome to see it in
WEC/IMSA competition.

Reactions: steved57

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Both the red and blue cars have tape over what looks like a button. Is that a 'fire" button?

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
Both the red and blue cars have tape over what looks like a button. Is that a 'fire" button?
Yes , the dash photo of my car was at the Mutimatic factory , they tape over the fire button so it is not accidentally discharged

Reactions: steved57 and GT@50

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Way cool...!! Congrats!!