Manually activating fuel pumps

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Is there a way to manually activate the fuel pumps? I want to replace my fuel since I went a long hot rainy summer without driving her much. Crappy fuel is getting that old gas smell. I tried jumping the fuel pump relays in the trunk with no luck.

Thanks,
Anthony

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'd be interested in any other strategies of removing old fuel.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In addition to jumping the fuel pump relay, you will also need to have a jumper at the fuel pump driver module located behind the passenger side front wheel well liner.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Take off fuel line and just key car on and off. Took a while but worked

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You can write a calibration to do this.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
You can write a calibration to do this.

Yes, Torrie sent my tuners a file to turn on the pump and empty the fuel when I had my car tuned on pump gas and C16. Makes it pretty easy to do multiple tunes and/or get rid of old gas.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Indeed!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
didn't know that either. thanks

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Is there a simple way of removing fuel?

Thanks!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Is there a simple way of removing fuel?

Unfortunately no. Removing the fuel line at the fuel filter, attaching a temporary hose to a container and cycling the key many times (getting 2-3 seconds from the fuel pumps each time) is probably the "easiest" way.

rubbinisracing

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2015
I used the Gas Tapper Pro to remove the gas from the tank of my GT through the filler. It included everything needed and the instructions to get the siphon hose past the anti-siphon safety valve. It also includes a plastic piece to open and protect the lid seal.

http://www.gastapper.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html?gclid=CJPD_obJ98kCFZOBaQodUnQPZw

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Would using a pump (like the Gas Tapper Pro) attached to the (disconnected) fuel line in the engine be an option?

I wonder if the Gas Tapper Pro would be able to get to the last drops of fuel - the existing lines would more than accomplish this?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I wonder if the Gas Tapper Pro would be able to get to the last drops of fuel - the existing lines would more than accomplish this?

Why are you concerned about the "last drops of fuel?" It's all miscible.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Didn't know how much fuel would be left in using the tube down the filler hole method. Using the existing fuel pickup in the bottom of the tank seemed more reliable?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Many years ago I tried, quite unsuccessfully to insert a small tube down the filler neck. Hat's off to those that have been able to successfully do this.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Also, I know the filler neck flap has been known to break, and there are various roll over valves, etc. I have no way of knowing if pushing a tube in has any potential of messing up the internals. Pumping from the fuel line would not have these issues.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There is an advantage of pumping through the fuel line. It removes the fuel in the line - whereas sucking it out of the tank will still leave the existing fuel in the line.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Disconnect the fuel line at the rail and run a hose into an approved fuel container.
The hardest part of this job is pulling apart of the RF splash shield away to gain access to both the Primary and Secondary fuel pump driver modules. Once the splash shield is moved all you have to do is disconnect the Primary FPDM connector and put 12v (+ and -) to the 2 wires that go directly to the pump from a separate battery and this will activate the pump. Once half of whatever is left in the tank is gone then switch to the Secondary FPDM and repeat. This is also a good way to manually test both pumps.

When done reassemble all and ready to fill with new fuel.

This is how we have been doing this for years.

As far as sticking a hose down the filler neck you run the chance of breaking the “flapper” valve in the filler neck and the roll over valve in the tank itself.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Is it easy to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail?

Also - where are the fuel pump drive controls located?

Finally - would hooking up the fuel tapper to the line removed from the fuel rail work?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I believe the fuel control units are up in the passenger side footwell. Yes you could empty the tank using this method but I suspect you'd want to create a disconnect point that would allow you to reconnect an extension line.