Man this thing is powerful

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm surfing the internet, burning a DVD with 3 gig's worth of pictures for Ford, accessing an external 500 Gig HD without ever having loaded a driver, compressing a 1080i HD video down to 25 mb's I just imported from my camcorder (the Rally "Exhaust Off"), listening to some Norma Jean on iTunes, and editing some photos in Photoshop CS2. Oh, and turning some some Word documents into PDF's.

All simultaneously.

Macbook Pro = good. It's got some quirks but largely it has proven more than up to the task. I wouldn't touch this level of multitasking on a PC with a ten foot pole, and I own a couple pretty decent PC's.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
DBK, I switched from PC to MAC about 10 years ago. You can't beat the intuitive nature of the mac drag and drop operating system -- oh, and did I say fast ... PD

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MAC is a real computer, cost more, worth it. When was the last time a MAC had a system crash, caught a virus, or needed to reload all the programs?
Answer= Never

Love my MAC's

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
It might be a Mac Office, but unfortunately it's a DOS world.....

How do I upload a 500K picture DBK?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Picture function should be back up MAD.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Oh, and yeah, if I had to use anything like CAD or something work specific I'd use a PC. It's just using Office is oddly way better on the Mac (go figure). I used to do alot of work in Access, and that doesn't exist on Mac, so I've had to use the old PC for that...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MAD IN NC said:
It might be a Mac Office, but unfortunately it's a DOS world.....

How do I upload a 500K picture DBK?

Microsoft paid $50k for the rights to DOS, the best investment of the milenium.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I thought "Bill" bought it from his friends in college for $50.... probably another Urban Legend...

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
What's a MAC?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
You can do all that on a PC too :biggrin

As for way cool super powerful OS's, OS/2 was the best ever.
In OS/2 you could format a floppy while copying files too it at the same time.
Run a multi line BBS while running several other programs and all on 4 megs of ram.

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
This is a MAC...

Awsum GT said:
What's a MAC?

Short for Macintosh. In short, if you don't use a "PC" (the name given to any Microsoft running computer), it's a MAC. Owned by Apple computers (http://www.apple.com/), "Macintosh" was the name given to the computer that was released in 1984 to the public (in which Jef Raskin is given much credit to its creation). So the name Macintosh stuck and is used when talking about Apple computers (Microsofts competitor, if you can call it that).

Current MACs:
logo_150x150_apple.jpg

i-mac-rental.jpg

180px-PowermacG5_large.jpg

...Now compare that to what is on your floor. That's my history lesson for today.

I'm a PC fan, myself, because that's what I've grown up with, I really have never used a MAC. The world is run on windows, so I figured I'd stick with it. Although if I wanted to get a notebook I would look into Apple for sure. If it's a desktop, well I just build it.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
BlackStorm... Sorry... I was just joking around. I'm a PC guy. :banana

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
Awsum GT said:
BlackStorm... Sorry... I was just joking around. I'm a PC guy. :banana

:ack Hahaha, oh well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Awsum GT said:
What's a MAC?

Go down to Marks and Herndon in front of the Savemart store, get in the drivethrough lane and tell when you come up to the speaker, tell them you want a Mac. Pay the nice young person working there and open the bag and enjoy a great epicurean delight. Recommended wine: Rudd :biggrin 1998

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
DBK said:
I'm surfing the internet, burning a DVD with 3 gig's worth of pictures for Ford, accessing an external 500 Gig HD without ever having loaded a driver, compressing a 1080i HD video down to 25 mb's I just imported from my camcorder (the Rally "Exhaust Off"), listening to some Norma Jean on iTunes, and editing some photos in Photoshop CS2. Oh, and turning some some Word documents into PDF's.

All simultaneously.

Macbook Pro = good. It's got some quirks but largely it has proven more than up to the task. I wouldn't touch this level of multitasking on a PC with a ten foot pole, and I own a couple pretty decent PC's.
How about a DYNO Run?:biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Microsoft owns all of us. They will assimilate.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
well....

I've yet to see any mac out do a Core Duo in terms of multi tasking, running the 4M superpi benchmark, encoding video... but hey, whatever suites you :p

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
nthfinity said:
I've yet to see any mac out do a Core Duo in terms of multi tasking, running the 4M superpi benchmark, encoding video... but hey, whatever suites you :p

Ya... but what's it 0-60 time?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
SuperB, I absolutely agree with you about OS/2. Too bad MS and IBM couldn't get along. I'm still sitting on my complete copies.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
nthfinity said:
I've yet to see any mac out do a Core Duo in terms of multitasking...

About this Mac said:
Processor
2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo

hmmm....:biggrin