Making my first comments, 2005 GT

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Hello to all...

Been a member since Oct 2006, just absorbing all the great info on all of the
comments, problems, etc. VERY GOOD INFO......
Issues I have had to date:

1. Power steering pump replaced at the 1st oil change (found by Shop Foreman/Head Mechanic) -Jeff S. , oil on the lower body pan, found when he pulled all of the pans for the 1st oil change. Jeff replaced the pump, & sent it back for Factory inspection.

2. Passenger door handle would not open,(I think I've read issues from others about door handles/problems..) In my case, it would not open from the inside ,
& temperatures ouside were in the high 90's. wierd,.... problem didn't happen when temps were cooler. ???? Jeff checked the door mecahnism, & lubed it with 'Krytox' -(a "PTFE" 'Teflon' type of grease) in the cable mechanism.
Well,.....we'll see how that works this summer. --NOTE: I use that type of grease as part of my work situation, & it is a very good grease. We shall see during my road trip!

3. Found an oil leak on garage floor, where I would not suspect, but right around the Oil filter area. (I have the oil changed at the dealer for warranty reasons, otherwise I would do it myself.)
-Problem was an oil leak in the welding for the engine oil cooler. Jeff showed me the leak area on the old cooler, very visible. Cooler was replaced. ( I Think a few other owners have had comments for this one on the forum. too.)

4. I remember some one recently mentioning something in the forum about the Emergency brake. Mine would almost not hold when pulled when the car sat in driveway.(Not a very large slope at all.) When pulled, the arm went all the way to full pull. ???? What the F...???? When I released it & pull again, it seemed to take hold enough. Jeff S. (Ford dealer Shop Foreman) said he adjusted it, & it worked fine after that. The car sits in my garage does not have the E.B. pulled, just shifted in either 1st/2nd gear. Anyone have additional info?? Do the E.B. cylinders relax pressure somehow?? Not a good feeling in case you need it.....

STILL WAITING FOR A CRUISE CONTROL..... EVery time I drive this, I wish it had the cruise control on the wheel. Seems like the steering wheel was made for the buttons.... I KNOW,.... it shouldn't, but on long drives thru the wide open spaces,.......Those happy patrollers are just waiting for me to drive thru the trap.... Got the big BullsEye right between the tail lights....More stories to follow since I got my GT in 2005....all true....

glad to be aboard.....

Aug 25, 2006
Hello to all...

Been a member since Oct 2006, just absorbing all the great info on all of the
comments, problems, etc. VERY GOOD INFO......
Issues I have had to date:

1. Power steering pump replaced at the 1st oil change (found by Shop Foreman/Head Mechanic) -Jeff S. , oil on the lower body pan, found when he pulled all of the pans for the 1st oil change. Jeff replaced the pump, & sent it back for Factory inspection.

2. Passenger door handle would not open,(I think I've read issues from others about door handles/problems..) In my case, it would not open from the inside ,
& temperatures ouside were in the high 90's. wierd,.... problem didn't happen when temps were cooler. ???? Jeff checked the door mecahnism, & lubed it with 'Krytox' -(a "PTFE" 'Teflon' type of grease) in the cable mechanism.
Well,.....we'll see how that works this summer. --NOTE: I use that type of grease as part of my work situation, & it is a very good grease. We shall see during my road trip!

3. Found an oil leak on garage floor, where I would not suspect, but right around the Oil filter area. (I have the oil changed at the dealer for warranty reasons, otherwise I would do it myself.)
-Problem was an oil leak in the welding for the engine oil cooler. Jeff showed me the leak area on the old cooler, very visible. Cooler was replaced. ( I Think a few other owners have had comments for this one on the forum. too.)

4. I remember some one recently mentioning something in the forum about the Emergency brake. Mine would almost not hold when pulled when the car sat in driveway.(Not a very large slope at all.) When pulled, the arm went all the way to full pull. ???? What the F...???? When I released it & pull again, it seemed to take hold enough. Jeff S. (Ford dealer Shop Foreman) said he adjusted it, & it worked fine after that. The car sits in my garage does not have the E.B. pulled, just shifted in either 1st/2nd gear. Anyone have additional info?? Do the E.B. cylinders relax pressure somehow?? Not a good feeling in case you need it.....

STILL WAITING FOR A CRUISE CONTROL..... EVery time I drive this, I wish it had the cruise control on the wheel. Seems like the steering wheel was made for the buttons.... I KNOW,.... it shouldn't, but on long drives thru the wide open spaces,.......Those happy patrollers are just waiting for me to drive thru the trap.... Got the big BullsEye right between the tail lights....More stories to follow since I got my GT in 2005....all true....

glad to be aboard.....

Welcome to the fold

You gal sounds like she is doing fine with her simply asking for a massage or two

Have fun and be safe

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome to the land of super cars.... every new F car I have ever owned has required many more adjustmentgs than my FGT. In fact my FGT has never been back to any dealer for anything.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Hello to all...

You mention having your oil changed at the dealer for warranty reasons....how does having the dealership perform the oil change affect the warranty? ....or is this a supposition?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The warranty of the car will not be effected at all regardless of who does the oil change. The oil change does, however, need to be done correctly - with oil that meets Ford's minimum recommendations and in the right quantity (9.5 quarts with filter change). The two coomonly available oils that meet Ford's specifications are the Castrol synthetic and, of course, Ford Motorcraft - both in the 5w-50 weight.

Note that following an oil change, you should follow Ford's procedure to re-prime the system since it is a dry sump. In short, this procedure is to turn the key to the full on position, hold the accelerator fully to the floor and crank the engine with the starter button. You will see the oil pressure gauge show pressure in about 20 seconds. Note: I have changed the oil on about 7 different GTs. There is one particular car I have serviced where the oil pressure gauge did not budge using the procedure above. We checked and re-checked everything and repeated procedure. Same results. No indicated oil pressure. With owner's consent, we decided to let it fire up. Oil pressure was instantaneous. Shut it down and repeated procedure - same results. This particular car will not show oil pressure unless it is running. Totally weird.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I thought all ebrakes were cable driven. They usually need periodic adjustments (as the pad wears down).