Major crash at the Texas Mile

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
and it seems he hit the brakes just as the chute deployed too.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yep, it looks like the chute just pulled him sideways.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I think they said they had to use the jaws to cut him out because he did have his leg or foot pinned inside. The other thing to note was they said rescue was on scene and using the jaws within 30 seconds....

We were also told that they are changing some of the rules for the 190+ class after this event. Not because of this incident but just to improve safety. I did manage to drag one of the items out of them which is that you will no longer be able to use seats that don't have harness fittings through them. I believe he said the changes wouldn't effect our cars.

good thing our harnesses go through the seat.

H

HHGT

Wheel Bearing maybe?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Its interesting if you go back to the previous year the driver spun out 2 times after the mile marker while trying to break. In this instance the wind was 16mph cross so it looks like it just flat out pulled the chute sideways.

And yes Mullet thats why we were talking about it and he said we probably wouldn't be effected by the changes.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Chute looked like it worked ok to me. That car has been off the runway multiple (3-4?) times over the last two Texas Miles. It was just a matter of time before it became serious.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Chute looked like it worked ok to me. That car has been off the runway multiple (3-4?) times over the last two Texas Miles. It was just a matter of time before it became serious.

Looks , to me at least, that a combination of things contributed to this crash. Just a few frames after the initial brake application, and the chute deployment, the back end does a little jog to the left. Which usually indicates a slight front brake imbalance. And the driver made a slight steering correction to counter act the rear end getting light and loose. Look around :49 and you will see the chute is definately still in it's "straight line position" and the rear of the car has shifted to the left. And thus he became a "pilot" with no control over the outcome...

Thank goodness he was able to survive, considering the speed he had just attained.

For all of you GT Tx Milers, please don't under estimate the need to follow all of the safety requirements.

It looks so easy to do a high speed mile, and it "only" takes less than 30 seconds or less, but the life you save will be your own.

Last edited:

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
the more I look at it the more it looks like a left rear tyre blow out,and when you look at the shape of the tire on the car after compared to the right it is badly deformed like a blow out,just a thought.
but most importantly no one was injured
Neil
NZ05GT

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I think that should buff out.