Machine Screw Group Buy Interest?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I went with Stainless Metric socket button head screws from BoltDepot.com that were around $ .50 a piece. Replaced all under-body screws for pans; diffuser; splitter; and rocker panels. Also replaced bumper mounting screws woth stainless allen head bolts. No need to do anything heroic. BoltDepot.com can get you anything you want in a jiffy.

Are these going into aluminum? Use lots of anti-seize on stainless, they like to weld together. :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I'm in for 100.

Chip

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA

Paid via PayPal on 7/16/10

Last edited:

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Put me down for 100

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
i'm in for 50. thx

GTED

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
In for 50

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I'll be in for the 50.

Richard Hille
The GT School

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Please review the 1st post of this thread for updated info.
Thx.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I'd like 50. Thanks FENZO.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
50 for me too - Thanks

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would like 100.

Thanks

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Count me in for 50. Thanks, AC

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
A little over a year ago I went to;

Hillco Fastener
www.hillcofasteners.com
7522 Park Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92841
(714) 657-7442

The screws Ford used appeared prone to rust and the Torx head looked easy to strip. I replaced all of them with Stainless Steel Button Heads.

6mm x 30mm Button HD Socket CS Stainless Qty 20 = $8.30
6mm x 25mm Button HD Socket CS Stainless Qty 480 = $72.74
6mm Fender Washer A-2 Stainless Qty 480 = $21.60

Attachments

• button_head_socket_screw.jpg
    button_head_socket_screw.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
"The screws Ford used appeared prone to rust and the Torx head looked easy to strip. I replaced all of them with Stainless Steel Button Heads."

I think Ford got it right with these fasteners, I just don’t like the price. I’ll never claim to be an expert, but I do know from experience much thought and effort is applied to fastener selection when dealing with dissimilar metals. This is especially true in the aerospace industry where critical mechanical joints are difficult to inspect. Our application here may not be critical, but corrosion is as unwelcomed.
When two dissimilar metals are in contact, in the presence of a liquid, a battery cell is created which results in corrosion at the anodic component (aluminum). The galvanic series of metals and alloys table tells us that steel is a better selection over stainless steel when fastening to aluminum (steel/Al are closer on the scale). In fact, if the SS employed is martensitic, it is not recommended for use with aluminum alloys. Also, the black oxide coating serves not only appearance, it also will absorb oil or wax providing corrosion protection and a barrier between the metals. The photo provided seems to be chrome plated, which would offer some protection, but I expect would wear on the threads.

Probably would not be an issue for those in dry climates and who never wash their car, but I’ll stick with the choice of the Ford engineers who apparently had this screw custom made.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
"The screws Ford used appeared prone to rust and the Torx head looked easy to strip. I replaced all of them with Stainless Steel Button Heads."

I think Ford got it right with these fasteners, I just don’t like the price. I’ll never claim to be an expert, but I do know from experience much thought and effort is applied to fastener selection when dealing with dissimilar metals. This is especially true in the aerospace industry where critical mechanical joints are difficult to inspect. Our application here may not be critical, but corrosion is as unwelcomed.
When two dissimilar metals are in contact, in the presence of a liquid, a battery cell is created which results in corrosion at the anodic component (aluminum). The galvanic series of metals and alloys table tells us that steel is a better selection over stainless steel when fastening to aluminum (steel/Al are closer on the scale). In fact, if the SS employed is martensitic, it is not recommended for use with aluminum alloys. Also, the black oxide coating serves not only appearance, it also will absorb oil or wax providing corrosion protection and a barrier between the metals. The photo provided seems to be chrome plated, which would offer some protection, but I expect would wear on the threads.

Probably would not be an issue for those in dry climates and who never wash their car, but I’ll stick with the choice of the Ford engineers who apparently had this screw custom made.

Good to know (good thing I had a dictionary handy so I could decipher your explanation) :eek

You are correct, the pic I provided shows a chrome plated screw (which I did NOT purchase). My attempt was to display the hex button head.

I do NOT want the Torx button head screws. It is my opinion that they are far to easy to strip. The ones I pulled off of my gal were already stripping and showing a bit of rust (I am at the water in SoCal). I do wash my car (comments from the Peanut Gallery (Chris and Sam) are not necessary).

That being said, I would like to follow your recommendations...but with a hex button head. Is that possible?

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
IHO, Torx is superior to a hex head in every respect except for pricing. Both can strip if the tool head is not seated correctly.

Last edited:

JKR

GT Owner
Please put me down for 50 thank you..

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I'll take 50.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner