LVMS Driftbox and Google Earth

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The 1st picture is the line I took around the track. The 2nd photo is Mark McGowan's drifting line.

Attachments

• Clinton Line.jpg
    Clinton Line.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 420
  • McGowan.jpg
    McGowan.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 410
Aug 25, 2006
Very cool

Thank you for sharing this with us

All the best

Shadowman

H

HHGT

The 1st picture is the line I took around the track. The 2nd photo is Mark McGowan's drifting line.

Does the Driftbox output KML directly or did you convert it? What is the positional accuracy? I found out early on with Google Earth that their rendering engine was single precision with a correction for shift. Please elaborate, inquiring minds want to know!

Nice job BTW

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The Driftbox software exports to a KML file that Google Earth reads. You can make adjustments in X,Y offsets if needed. I didn't do any adjustments. I found the accuracy better than I expected. The last time I look into this I recall that GPS had a +-8' accuracy, with best case a little over a meter.

H

HHGT

The Driftbox software exports to a KLM file that Google Earth reads. You can make adjustments in X,Y offsets if needed. I didn't do any adjustments. I found the accuracy better than I expected. The last time I look into this I recall that GPS had a +-8' accuracy, with best case a little over a meter.

I often thought it would be an excellent real-time learning race-aid to have a direct feed from a device like driftbox plot the data in real-time over a Google Earth (or preferably Google Map) on a handheld and then generate a report to let the driver know when he entered and exited an apex. You could arguably have the GPS even plot points of interest and time deltas between certain points to aid in late/early breaking etc. A driver could pull in between runs to evaluate his last run and adjust accordingly for the next run. Further, you can have different profiles available for different cars and provide audio alerts during a run. My mind is racing with ideas. Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a big market for this?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I often thought it would be an excellent real-time learning race-aid to have a direct feed from a device like driftbox plot the data in real-time over a Google Earth (or preferably Google Map) on a handheld and then generate a report to let the driver know when he entered and exited an apex. You could arguably have the GPS even plot points of interest and time deltas between certain points to aid in late/early breaking etc. A driver could pull in between runs to evaluate his last run and adjust accordingly for the next run. Further, you can have different profiles available for different cars and provide audio alerts during a run. My mind is racing with ideas. Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a big market for this?

I have used the Traqmate unit with good success...

http://traqmate.com/

Nice guys there too.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
BlackIce, Thanks for sharing and it was nice to meet you at the rally! :cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Crazy McGowan

I don't think I saw McGowan drive that yellow Nardo GT anyways but sideways at the Rally!

Thanks Black Ice

Ed

H

HHGT

I have used the Traqmate unit with good success...

http://traqmate.com/

Nice guys there too.

Thanks!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Side Ways Is A Nice Feeling !!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Here is chart of Mark's drifting angles

The chart is one complete lap starting from the apex of the last corner before the longest straight away.

Attachments

• Mark McGowan Drift.jpg
    Mark McGowan Drift.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 70

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Interesting. Very Interesting.