Luggages to travel with a Ford GT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm 6'2" and my seat is all the way back. I have barely 1" of headroom. I guess I'm using another car for that journey - LOL

'Not necessarily so.

If "that journey" consists of going from point 'A' directly to point 'B' and back - FedEx both ways.

If you're going to spend a day here and a day there over a week or two...eeeeeeeeeeh, not so much. :wink

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
After 9 years with my FGT I have the overnight thing figured out...

I bring a spare pair of boxers and socks in the "Trunk" and always travel with my Visa, AMEX and wad of cash. Even two can travel comfortably this way!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
According to Dr Frank you can always turn your underwear inside out to get another few days out of them!

Ed

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Hi Francis,

today (a bit late) I made some tests with the above mentioned baggages and found out that it doesn't work for Susanne and me ( I am 1,81 and she is 1,80). The problem on the driver side is that I cannot move the seat enough towards to the front to gain more than 12cm space behind the seat. I wonder how you got that going. And the end of movement there is a solid clunk sound so I think I am really reaching the physical limit of movement for the seat.

The problem on the codriver seat is that Susanne (1,80m) doesn't feel comfortable anymore when I move the seat toward the front (8cm Space behind seat is maximum) she is getting very close with her head to the top of the a-pillar. When driving and being forced to do rapid braking this might be dangerous I guess.

So I think we might revert to use various smaller bags and cramp some stuff in free spaces.

Matthias

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Matthias - Here's what I did since I can't really put enough clothes for the whole road trip in a hard case:

I bought 6 of these bags:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/large-packing-cubes-3pc-set/48438?productid=1234149

Packed with 15 t-shirts/undershirts and socks lining the edges, it's 3.5 inches deep. I put "smushable" items such as undershirts, socks, etc in the bottom bag as there is a bit more room near the top and you don't have to squish the nicer stuff.

I'm going to bring 3 of them over in a soft side carry bag, and then place them behind the seats and fold up the soft bag.

9029f592facc68cc90d03a6b491e833b.jpg

0f4db886e98819390d8a20b1358a727d.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please note he is going commando. Try cranking your seat back forward a bit. I will usually move the seat fully forward, load things on the floor, then move seat back for the correct seat position. Have you taken out the LATCH hardware (fit baby seat) from behind the passenger seat? Be careful not to put too much tension between the seat back and the window causing it to crack.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Thanks Dave, I was just looking for similar items at Amazon a few minutes ago :biggrin

Anyone knows what temperatures can be expected in the front luggage comprtment after 8 hours of drive. Fearing that even shoes are not safe there.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I am just now seeing this thread. That is amazing that you found some rather sizable bags that fit behind the seats! And I like your idea of the shoe bag on top of the center console. Thanks for sharing these tips.

As for the front trunk, I use the factory car cover bag and stuff all my clothes in there. My shoes were fine. I don't drive 8 hours non stop though. Usually a break within 3-4 hours. Don't let your wife or so put any makeup in there though, as it could easily melt.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I remember correctly, McGowan and Rocketman drove cross country with all their shoes in the trunk. No problems.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
If I remember correctly, McGowan and Rocketman drove cross country with all their shoes in the trunk. No problems.

Barefoot cross country driving :)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I know people that like to drive barefoot.

Ed

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Matthias - Here's what I did since I can't really put enough clothes for the whole road trip in a hard case:

I bought 6 of these bags:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/large-packing-cubes-3pc-set/48438?productid=1234149

Packed with 15 t-shirts/undershirts and socks lining the edges, it's 3.5 inches deep. I put "smushable" items such as undershirts, socks, etc in the bottom bag as there is a bit more room near the top and you don't have to squish the nicer stuff.

I'm going to bring 3 of them over in a soft side carry bag, and then place them behind the seats and fold up the soft bag.

9029f592facc68cc90d03a6b491e833b.jpg

0f4db886e98819390d8a20b1358a727d.jpg

I would need 53 of those to get my wife's things inside...

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
If they are up to a challenge, offer them a ride in a car without a brake booster like an older porsche. I always feel my toes after a longer than 2 hours ride.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Hi Francis,

today (a bit late) I made some tests with the above mentioned baggages and found out that it doesn't work for Susanne and me ( I am 1,81 and she is 1,80). The problem on the driver side is that I cannot move the seat enough towards to the front to gain more more than 12cm space behind the seat. I wonder how you got that going. And the end of movement there is a clunk sound so I think I am really reaching the physical limit of movement for the seat.

The problem on the codriver seat is that Susanne (1,80m) doesn't feel comfortable anymore when I move the seat toward the front (8cm Space behind seat is maximum) she is getting very close with her head to the top of the a-pillar. When driving and being forced to do rapid braking this might be dangerous I guess.

So I think we might revert to use various smaller bags and cramp some stuff in free spaces.

Matthias

Hello Mathias.

I do not understand what is going on in your car. On mine, I can move the seats to clear more than 15 cm behind. I adopted 15 cm, but I could have chosen a little more.

I measure 1.83 meters and I have absolutely no problem to drive comfortably with the luggage behind the seat. Moreover, with or without luggage, the two seats are now positioned at 15 cm from the rear wall.
For the passenger, of course I removed the device for baby seat, and my wife pleasantly travel with luggage behind her.

I will be in Le Mans for the 24 hours, without my wife (unfortunately she just broke her wrist), but with the two suitcases. You can form an opinion.

Have a nice trip.

Best regards.

Francis.

IMG_0575.jpg

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Good Morning Francis,

I was puzzled more trying to find out that I couldn't move the seat forward more, because I could hardly believe someone constructed two different railsets for the seats. I am sure the baggage solution would have worked for me. For my girlfriend it is different as everyone can imagine, I have to accept the fact that she doesn't like it exactly as she has to accept this means less space for her stuff :wink Those being in a relation for a longer time or even being married might smile at me thinking he doesn't know that it is the space for his stuff that is smaller :eek

We will get used to the situation and most probably forget as soon when we are going to arrive in Le Mans, inhaling fuel, oil and tire smell :biggrin

Looking forward to meet you and take a look at your solution. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your wife.

Matthias

Last edited:

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Mathias.

Before I found a solution for the luggages, one of my good friends sold his Ford GT because his girlfriend refused to go on a trip with him, without all her affairs.
A pity !
Love often makes us do crazy things.

One other friend said that when we are rich enough to own a Ford GT, the only luggage to take is a Credit Card....

Keep you girlfriend and have a good trip with her.

Best regards.

Francis.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
No worries, both can stay :thumbsup