Luggages to travel with a Ford GT.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Good morning from France.

One of my good friends used to make long tourist trips with his wife in the Ford GT.
Fine connoisseur of cars, he took great pleasure in driving his 05 GT.
Unfortunately, this pleasure was not shared because the luggages had insufficient volume for the couple, and were made of a multitude of small bags unsightly and impractical.
Alas, the couple requirements were victorious, and the Ford GT was replaced by a car with a luggage compartment. Very sad story!

Indeed, the lack of luggage is a big flaw in a car for road use. And what about the new GT that I want to buy !!!

For now, I tried to find a solution for my wonderful 2006 that I will keep anyway.
Here is the results :

Although I measure 1.83m and I weigh 80 kg, I have a perfect driving position, leaving a space of 15cm behind my seat. It is the same for my wife on the passenger seat.
After extensive research, I founded on the Internet, a 90€ each baggage that occupies completely this free space behind the seat, from the floor and the sides, to the roof. This is a wheeled suitcase, with rigid bottom, with a shell in very well finished canvas, with multiple pockets, and straps to keep the clothing in situation.
After some modifications and improvements «*home made*», the result corresponds with what I wanted, both on functional and aesthetics aspects.
The working volume of each case is : 80cm x 42cm x 15cm.

I also used the space between the two seats, between the speaker and the climate controls.
I used a canvas bag, originally designated for Golf shoe. It includes a large central volume plus two side pockets, one being exactly in the format of an iphone. On the car, I carefully took off the glued leather trim, and I replaced it with two strips of "Velcro".
This set makes me a soft and quite comfortable elbow support. With a flexible handle at the back, I can take it with me when I leave the car, and put it back in a second.
Its useful volume is : 15cm x 20cm x 35cm.

Details are available to those who would do more or less the same.

Best regards to the Ford GT Community.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I have used a couple of small roll-alongs for some years, along with an assortment of clutter bags. These look so perfect a fit, maximizing the capacity, I think many on the forum having the same problem would appreciate the source information, website, etc. Thanks.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
+1 :agree:

Please

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Excellent ideas! More details, please.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Nice solution. It's difficult to find a shallow rigid side bag. Keep your "06". As you know the seats in the new GT will not move forward.. :biggrin

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Francis,

This is very good information and the timing quite perfect. I am looking forward to more details about the products you have chosen. One question remains, you did not mention or show anything about the front luggage compartement. Or don't you use it for Heat reasons ?

Oh, there is another thing. While attending the National Rally in Detroit I noticed that most owners have been quite into detailing their cars after and before each tour (I have to confess I am quite lazy and I want to improve). What products do you as a european use when you are on tour?

Best regards

Matthias

Last edited:

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Francis, those are fantastic solutions. Well done!

GTED

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Another solution: FedEx! :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did you remove the child latch hardware from behind the passenger seat?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Looks nice St Ho!

Ed

rsmithtax

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2012
los gatos. ca
i would like to purchase the bags. do u hav ethe info to share

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Good morning from France.

Thank you for your interest and for your compliments on what I did for the luggages of my car.
Our beautiful Ford GT deserve all our care.

To satisfy the demands of details, here is how I did it :

- For the roller suitcases, I went on the website of the TEKMI Company :
http://www.tekmi.fr/9-sacs-de-voyage

I ordered two «GRANDS SACS DE VOYAGE À ROULETTES 80CM MODELE HARRY». Warning, only the 80cm model is right. I paid € 86 each all inclusive. It exists in several colors.
The back ABS shell with rounded corners, measures 80cm x 42cm and fully occupies the space
behind the seat without damaging anything. For the implementation, it is obviously necessary to
delete the baby seat system, and to unscrew the buttons holding the storage nets.

These soft bags are designed to go up to 36cm thick. To limit this thickness to 15cm, I had to make changes. All these changes are reversible, and it is possible for the luggage and the car, to return to the original condition. So I made the following very simple things :

I removed the plastic plate located at the base of the bag. To do this, I opened the zipper on the inside lining, I unscrewed the six screws, I removed the inner plate and the outside handle, and then I closed the zipper. It is extremely simple. At this time, the base of the bag has become flexible, and you can give it the desired thickness

Then, it becomes necessary to change the compression straps in order to maintain the shape of the bag, and the clothing in place. I removed the "male" part of the buckles on the GREY strap. I bought twice 1.20m strap by suitcase. To maintain the threads, I presented each end, quickly on a flame. I positioned the two straps from the rear of each bag, sliding them into the sliding gray straps to hold them in place, and I equipped them with the «male» part of the buckles.
****It only remains to carefully bend the flexible edges under the front part of the luggage, and
tighten.

The FORD GT signature, is made of embroidered cloth that I have put in place with glue.
I ordered them via the Internet at : www.patcholand.com
The reference is: "1400 Embroidered patch 22X7 FORD GT white".
I paid € 13.53 each, all inclusive.

For the central storage, I already had the golf shoe bag, for a long time. It is easy to found on the Internet, some similar models. Mine dimensions are : 15cm high x 35cm wide x 20cm long.

To set this up, I carefully took off the central leather elbow rests, which is glided and removed its plastic holder under it. Then, I only had to stick Velcro on the flat surface liberated. I finished in sticking Velcro on the correspondant surface under the bag, to hold it in place.

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

When everything is finished, you need to offer a nice trip to Madame and her clothes.
If you needs ideas of trip, I suggest you the "2016 FORD GT DAYS" at Le Mans.

OWC.jpg

Best regard to the Ford GT Community.

Francis (Saint Ho)

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Bags ordered :)

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Find a place for 6 more of those, and my wife might be able to get by!

FedEx

Seriously, great work. Very creative and nice looking solution.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Find a place for 6 more of those, and my wife might be able to get by!

Haha, I see where you are coming from ;)

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Ingenious! Well done Saint Ho.

Vince H

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
St. Ho,

If you had come up with this solution to our luggage problem years ago you would have saved several marriages. Just kidding. You are a genius! Thank you for sharing.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
St. Ho,

If you had come up with this solution to our luggage problem years ago you would have saved several marriages. Just kidding. You are a genius! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you to all, for your delicious assessments.
Special congratulations to HiloDave and n.a.nelson, for their remarkable humor.
My wife laughed.
But she laughs a lot less when I tell her my will to park the Ford GT in the living-Room.
They all refused this type of idea.
Because, at last, I decided to keep my wife, there is no other solution than the reduced model.

IMG_0333.jpg

Best regards from France.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Well done!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I'm 6'2" and my seat is all the way back. I have barely 1" of headroom. I guess I'm using another car for that journey - LOL