Lowering the ride

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
I am thinking of lowering the car. No springs just the adjustment. My question is, has anybody done it and does help that much around the track? And how will it affect the ride on the street? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Check with Alex and T&A shocks. He is the only one with the lowering kits that use the stock springs. Do a search on ebay for "ford gt" shocks and it will show up. Other choices are Eibach springs from Stillens and Penske shocks.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kave,

I have lowered 6-8 GT's with the TA shocks kit. The results are great. These perches are fully adjustable. Most of the ones I have done have followed my recommendation for 1" lowering in the front and 3/4" in the rear. But, you also have the option to choose the height you want or even to adjust them while they are onthe car. (Adjusting on the car is not real easy.)

If you really get into doing track time you will want to corner balance the car and this kit will allow you to do that.

As for ride quality, it is a hair firmer but frankly hard to notice.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I had that kit on my GT, and had the front lowered at the max of 2" and the rear at only 3/4". This gave the car a nice rake. Handled almost as smooth as stock, and it handled great.

lowered02.jpg

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
thx guys.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
thx guys.

Glad I could be of help :biggrin (post whore'n)

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Tim,

You have no shame what-so-ever.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Tim is the coolest!

(Last tag)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Seriously - how do those of you who've lowered yur cars manage to keep from scraping every rise encountered on pavements/curbs/driveways ...not to mention "speed bumps"? (in my area there are "'bumps" as tall as houses) Honest injun, around HERE I'd be replacing front splitters and rear defusers on mine every 5 minutes if it were lowered.

(I know in Santa Barbara for instance [around the State St. area of town at least], they have huge "dips" at intersections that a GT would have to traverse at a 45 deg angle to have any HOPE of clearing - if that would even work.)

Shoot, it was necessary for me to "lower" my DRIVEWAY (literally) just to get the GT on & off the dang street w/o scraping ('had to use a plywood bridge 'til that was done).

What's the secret? Just having decent roads mebbe? :shrug

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Tim is the coolest!

(Last tag)

Little Timmy is the COOLEST.

big tim is still in the dog house.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Seriously - how do those of you who've lowered yur cars manage to keep from scraping every rise encountered on pavements/curbs/driveways ...not to mention "speed bumps"? (in my area there are "'bumps" as tall as houses) Honest injun, around HERE I'd be replacing front splitters and rear defusers on mine every 5 minutes if it were lowered.

(I know in Santa Barbara for instance [around the State St. area of town at least], they have huge "dips" at intersections that a GT would have to traverse at a 45 deg angle to have any HOPE of clearing - if that would even work.)

Shoot, it was necessary for me to "lower" my DRIVEWAY (literally) just to get the GT on & off the dang street w/o scraping ('had to use a plywood bridge 'til that was done).

What's the secret? Just having decent roads mebbe? :shrug

My car is 1 1/8th F and 7/8ths R lower. No BS, I truly don't have a speed bump or a driveway problem however I am very careful on the steeper ones.
Having said that, the problem I am having now is scraping the Stillen splash guards on speed bumps.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
T&A

I lowered mine with the T&A set-up. The GT's guy's say it's the lowest GT they have seen. Not intentional - it just happened that way. There is the usual agro of low driveways and curbs, but the improved turn-in and handling make it all worth it. Track manners are superb too! Go for it!

Gordo.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I'm getting two TA kits from Alex to start on two of the cars right away. If all goes well, may do all four. I can't wait!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
just right

I have the T&A Penskes & lowered my GT quite a bit. It works great on the track & looks awesome on the road. I'm used to driving lowered cars so I don't end up touching.

Ed

Attachments

• Ed's GT front.JPG
    Ed's GT front.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Ed's GT side.JPG
    Ed's GT side.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 269

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I had mine lowered 1" in the rear and 1 1/4 in the front. Nothing rubs... looks great. This was the suggested amount by Canepa Designs who performed the lowering.

http://www.canepa.com/inventory/exotic/2785.html

Not the clearest photo but gives you an idea... this is his car. Mine is white with blue.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have heard people complain of scraping driveways while at stock height. I think it has more to do with the way you take bump or incline. Always pull into a driveway at an angle. My car was lowered at the max of 2" up front, and I never hit anything.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
I am lowering it 1 inch in the front and 3/4 in the back. I should be okay.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
I have the T&A Penskes & lowered my GT quite a bit. It works great on the track & looks awesome on the road. I'm used to driving lowered cars so I don't end up touching.

Ed

Ed ....how much did you lower in front and back?

Lee

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... it has more to do with the way you take bump or incline. Always pull into a driveway at an angle.

Agreed, ROC, but there are many cases - at least around here - where there just is no CHOICE about the angle you can approach the pblm terrain.

For instance, we have speed bumps in some places that are 5" tall (or more). A 45 deg (or better) approach to them means going into oncoming traffic or hitting parked cars - and the car pbly STILL wouldn't clear. We also have summa those "Santa Barbara dips" I referred to before...and a host of other stuff. I just stay away from these places. (Unfortunately, as mentioned B4, one of them was my own driveway!)

My biggest fear about driving a lowered GT would be driving in an unfamiliar place, turning a corner while in a line of traffic - and driving over a pblm that suddenly appears from under the car ahead of me B4 I could react to it.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Agreed, ROC, but there are many cases - at least around here - where there just is no CHOICE about the angle you can approach the pblm terrain.

For instance, we have speed bumps in some places that are 5" tall (or more). A 45 deg (or better) approach to them means going into oncoming traffic or hitting parked cars - and the car pbly STILL wouldn't clear. We also have summa those "Santa Barbara dips" I referred to before...and a host of other stuff. I just stay away from these places. (Unfortunately, as mentioned B4, one of them was my own driveway!)

My biggest fear about driving a lowered GT would be driving in an unfamiliar place, turning a corner while in a line of traffic - and driving over a pblm that suddenly appears from under the car ahead of me B4 I could react to it.

Move out of the sticks, EP! :lol:biggrin

Those 5" speed bumps you have been encountering are actually fallen baby oak trees.:biggrin

I do agree, the city seems to put some crazy high speed deterants up. You can definately minimize the scraping by driving in angles, but it is not a cure-all. :thumbsup

I say have fun now and suffer (and you will) the consequences later. :banana