Lowered track suspension on my GT

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well guys,
Besides having allready ordered the Borla exhaust, headers, 2.7" pulley, trans-cooler, short throw kit and my 20"/22" inch wheels, I've now turned my attention to the suspension side of the GT.

First of all I would like the car lower than stock, and I would also like a stiffer and more direct feeling when driving.

Here is my latest addition to what will in the end be a quite extreme GT

x-rearsus.jpg

YES!! A simple metal piece installed instead of the shock and spring... :biggrin
Cheap, simple, low, stiff and weight saving, what more could you ask for??

Mounted front and rear - this is what it looks like...

x-lowsus.jpg

Both front and rear is lowered aprox 30mm, but I think that I'll bring the rear back up a little...

Comments welcome...

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Not only are you building a radical GT, you have what they refer to in chopper terminology as a "hardtail'! The lowered stance looks good and I'm reasonably certain you will obtain more road feel as requested.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
one of 101 said:
Well guys,
Besides having allready ordered the Borla exhaust, headers, 2.7" pulley, trans-cooler, short throw kit and my 20"/22" inch wheels, I've now turned my attention to the suspension side of the GT.

First of all I would like the car lower than stock, and I would also like a stiffer and more direct feeling when driving.

YES!! A simple metal piece installed instead of the shock and spring... :biggrin

Both front and rear is lowered aprox 30mm, but I think that I'll bring the rear back up a little...

Comments welcome...

Tell me this is an early April Fools joke...You are not seriously suggesting eliminating the rear suspension are you???? Tell me you are just measuring to see how much you want to lower the car before making up a set of springs.

Last edited:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Please to god, tell me you are joking. You realise that you will totally screw that car up, if you dont have shocks on it correct? This was just to check potential install heights for custom shocks? :willy

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
one of 101 said:
Well guys,

x-rearsus.jpg

x-lowsus.jpg

Comments welcome...

Drill a few more holes in that "simple metal piece". You'll save some more weight. In the bicycling world we call this special alloy, "drillium". Just don't hit any bumps or kerbs, as the "suspension" may give way. :biggrin

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Very funny.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
fordgt_2006_70002684_-508641968.1800.jpg

Guaranteed to make your GT Unique: A soft comfortable ride. Fabricated with off the shelf parts. Has five ride settings. Should be available shortly once we work out the source of the squeak...

Please note: Not to be used as a floatation device.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
ha ha ha ha..

Well it seems that you guys are not easy to fool... just had to give it a go... (my girlfriend believed me).

Ok - THIS is whats going on. I've sent my stock dampers directly to the factory in Sweden and they will create a custom set of fully adjustable coil-overs.

Can't wait

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Good one on you, got a few of us going, I was hoping that was the case, looking forward to a report of how the changes have impacted the ride and handling :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Firstly it got me - because the photoshop work is very good indeed! Secondly, I dare not have said anything just in case I would cause offence! I wanted to scream out NNooooooooooooo! But you know what us Brits are like, too darned polite!!

A very good post though! :biggrin

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Neilda said:
Firstly it got me - because the photoshop work is very good indeed! Secondly, I dare not have said anything just in case I would cause offence! I wanted to scream out NNooooooooooooo! But you know what us Brits are like, too darned polite!!

A very good post though! :biggrin

I dont think its photoshopped, I think he really did make the brackets, but probably so the car could be rolled around only. Just because of how long its going to be without shocks, me may have wanted it to still be moveable. But I definitely wouldnt even drive it around the garage like that. Rolling only, if even that.

Jon

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
If that weld didn't hold...........crunch. Bracket through clamshell etc. Doesn't bear thinking about! :ack

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Jon,
You are quite right, the brackets are made to be able to wheel the car round the place where it's stored (haven't driven it and have no plans to either) - the picture is the real deal... lookes awesome that close to the ground!!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR said:
I dont think its photoshopped, I think he really did make the brackets, but probably so the car could be rolled around only. Just because of how long its going to be without shocks, me may have wanted it to still be moveable. But I definitely wouldnt even drive it around the garage like that. Rolling only, if even that.

Jon

Last edited:

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
That does look good lowered, should be nice when its all said and done.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
x-lowsus.jpg

Using a metal rod and a welder (see beginning of this topic) both the front and rear is lowered aprox 30mm, but I think that I'll bring the rear

I way back saw a picture of a GT with height adjustable coilovers, but I think it was one the first cars - and maybe a concept deal.

Anyone??

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I wonder if I could buy a system when its done?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
californiacuda said:
I wonder if I could buy a system when its done?

I'll keep you guys posted on the subject...

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Thank you.