low mileage oil change ?

clements

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
i am a new owner of 2005 silver and black gt. i bought it after reading this forum for six months. the info provided is very helpful in many ways. i have a question about the necessity of annual oil changes. i am not a mechanic, do not have a lift, and i am uncomfortable with my local ford dealer in northern michigan. my bmw m5 goes 15,000 miles without an oil change. a lot of ford gts are driven less than 1500 miles per year. i understand that changing the oil yearly is desirable and may be recreational for some, BUT is it necessary ? a trip to the gt guys is 250 miles away from my location in harbor springs.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
IMHO = Absolutely take your car to the GT guys and have them go through the car for you and do a full inspection and service. I think especially important if you bought it used.

If they are ONLY 250 mi away, consider yourself very fortunate. They were a tremendous help for me, and may find several things that would benefit from their attention.

Enjoy the ride...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would also recommend you to do the annual oil change per Ford's recommendation. Low mileage, lightly used cars can be susceptible to condensation and it would be good to have fresh oil. The same has been said of boats, often powered by traditional V8's but often accumulating only a few hours of use per year. These are cases which it is also wise to change the oil annually.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
i am a new owner of 2005 silver and black gt. i bought it after reading this forum for six months. the info provided is very helpful in many ways. i have a question about the necessity of annual oil changes. i am not a mechanic, do not have a lift, and i am uncomfortable with my local ford dealer in northern michigan. my bmw m5 goes 15,000 miles without an oil change. a lot of ford gts are driven less than 1500 miles per year. i understand that changing the oil yearly is desirable and may be recreational for some, BUT is it necessary ? a trip to the gt guys is 250 miles away from my location in harbor springs.

The factory recommends the oil be changed annually regardless of mileage. Your GT represents a sizeable amount of money. Protect your investment.

"You can pay me NOW, or......." :wink :cheers

BTW - welcome to The 'Forum!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The factory recommends the oil be changed annually regardless of mileage. Your GT represents a sizeable amount of money. Protect your investment.

"You can pay me NOW, or......." :wink :cheers

I am glad that EP changed his oil as recommended. It wouldn't have made a bit if difference to EP, but it does to the next owner that actually uses the engine.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Curious, how many miles are on your car????

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am glad that EP changed his oil as recommended. It wouldn't have made a bit if difference to EP, but it does to the next owner that actually uses the engine.

Aside from the fact you're CONSISTANT...'know what I like about you, 'ICE?

ABSA-TOOTLY NUTHIN' - THAT'S WHUT! :tongue :rofl

H

HHGT

Don't forget to change the Transaxle fluid as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Don't forget to change the Transaxle fluid as well.

+1, I had only 3500 miles on mine and it looked real dark brown/black in color.

BTW, I don't think EP changed his trans fluid.

Just trying to stay consistent.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
First change of the transaxle's gear oil is typically quite dark. In subsequent changes, it is very clear - as if no miles have been accumulated. But, change it anyway!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Clem, when you do it, get some new drain plugs with better magnets on them for the crankcase and the tranny.

clements

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
my gt only has 1400 miles on it, but the concensus seems to be change it each year regardless of low mileage and low use--1000 miles during the summer-- and i guess you would suggest changing it before storing for the winter. thanks for info.