Looking for power steering hose 05/06 GT

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I had my car up on a lift today for oil change and brake and clutch fluid changes, as well as some other minor stuff. I took the opportunity to closely examine the entire length of the power steering hoses. My hoses are OE, have been on the car for 19 years, 83,000 miles, and are not sweating, bulging, deformed, etc.

Questions for everyone with this problem: are you using the right PS Fluid? Have you changed it at some point?

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Thanks very much for your undoubtedly tedious work to find a similar hose! I bought the genuine BMW hose thinking that because it's not a knockoff, it might be a bit larger diameter than the Edelmann you bought. Compared to the Ford original, the BMW hose seems to be .010-.020 inches smaller diameter, which might not be significant. Could you please measure and post the diameter of the Edelmann hose for comparison?

Many thanks again!
The inside diamter is correct. The outside diameter is slightly thinner. Just use screw type hose clamps instead of the factory spring clamps and you will be fine.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I had my car up on a lift today for oil change and brake and clutch fluid changes, as well as some other minor stuff. I took the opportunity to closely examine the entire length of the power steering hoses. My hoses are OE, have been on the car for 19 years, 83,000 miles, and are not sweating, bulging, deformed, etc.

Questions for everyone with this problem: are you using the right PS Fluid? Have you changed it at some point?
83k !!!
Excellent!

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Another option might be to bend up some hard line, and just use generic power steering line to connect to the pump and the reservoir. The space is pretty tight to snake a hard line in, but would avoid all this swelling deteriorating rubber lines.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Apparently, those having this problem don't drive their cars enough!

83k !!!
Excellent!
35K, fluid as specified by Ford and changed regularly. Feed hose sticky etc, return hose dry as a bone.

Reactions: Fast Freddy

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Apparently, those having this problem don't drive their cars enough!
The issue was presented as the OEM return hose was deteriorating from the inside releasing hose material into the PS system which can create serious problems. So even if the hose looked fine from the outside the "smart people" needed to buy the new replacement hose. My hose looks fine from the outside but beig the smart dude that I am I bought the replacement as a precaution but didn't actually install it because of all the unanswered questions that have been raised by others about it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I did the same, so the new hose is sitting on the shelf.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
You gentlemen were fortunate to have held off. Not that replacement is a huge chore or huge expense, but I trusted the “fix” and the new replacement hose weeps WAY worse than the original one, and it only took 6 months for the problem to manifest. my original hose didn’t show signs of problems until it was nearly 15 years old. And YES-mine gets driven!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
☝️+1

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
My power steering pump was replaced like 9 years ago as it was leaking. Never had any problems with my hoses leaking though.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The issue was presented as the OEM return hose was deteriorating from the inside releasing hose material into the PS system which can create serious problems. So even if the hose looked fine from the outside the "smart people" needed to buy the new replacement hose. My hose looks fine from the outside but beig the smart dude that I am I bought the replacement as a precaution but didn't actually install it because of all the unanswered questions that have been raised by others about it.
Unless your power steering fluid is black or there are black chunks in the power steering reservoir, there is no contamination or deteriorating going on. The biggest thing here is that particular hose is seeping cause it was not designed for an oil based fluid. Nor was the new replacement hose.

Reactions: 69b302 and Johntpr

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
I have had my replacement hose for a year and did not think to look at it until I stumbled upon this threat. Mine is quite greasy. Is it safe to drive/use with the hose in this condition?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I just opened mine-having it over a year and I see no deterioration. Can you post a pic for us to see?

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpeg
    IMG_1668.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I just opened mine-having it over a year and I see no deterioration.
BTW.. only have 4k plus on my car and the original looks fine.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I have a company that is going to make some silcone ones. They will retain oil but they will not look 100% oem due to how silicone hoses are made. Might be a month or two before I can have some test samples.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I just opened mine-having it over a year and I see no deterioration. Can you post a pic for us to see?
LOL Art is has to be on a car to seep oil.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
LOL Art is has to be on a car to seep oil.
I read as if it was deteriorating while stored. Ok got it.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I read as if it was deteriorating while stored. Ok got it.
It's the fluid seeping thru the hose. Haven't checked mine yet. Don't wanna 🙈

Reactions: Art138

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My replacement has been on about 18 months. So far, it is doing OK.