looking for ford racing muffler

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Anyone have ford-racing muffler for sale ?

Robert
402-321-9951

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Call Jack at Muscle Motors. I think he has a few in stock

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
is this Jack's website http://musclemotors.com ?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have a very slightly used one in stock.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
is this Jack's website http://musclemotors.com ?

That's it. Or contact him via PM here on the forum. Jack@MMP (I think??). Or if you're looking for used, Shelby is a good option.

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I have a stainless works with cats, the car is too loud.
Do you know if the ford-racing muffler is better ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I have a stainless works with cats, the car is too loud.
Do you know if the ford-racing muffler is better ?

Ford Racing muffler + what? Are you going back to stock headers and cats? I don't think the Stainless works exhaust will hook up to a FRPP muffler. Pretty sure an FRPP muffler + anything will be quieter than your current setup.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ford Racing muffler + what? Are you going back to stock headers and cats? I don't think the Stainless works exhaust will hook up to a FRPP muffler. Pretty sure an FRPP muffler + anything will be quieter than your current setup.
Right on all accounts. Bonehead sure learns fast for a new owner. :thumbsup

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Right on all accounts. Bonehead sure learns fast for a new owner. :thumbsup

Woohoo! Validation from the Iceman. I am not worthy!:)

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I was thinking of removing the cats and fabricating tubes into the ford-racing muffler.

Did not want to go back to the stock iron and cats.

Has anyone done this hack ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
There was another member here that had the same complaint with the SW exhaust and posted a thread looking for a solution. Not sure if he ever found one.

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
It was David, I sent him a note, but no reply.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I was thinking of removing the cats and fabricating tubes into the Ford-Racing muffler. Did not want to go back to the stock iron and cats. Has anyone done this hack ?

RF,

The Ford Racing muffler is a ton quieter than the Stainless Works headers you have now. It would require quite a bit of cutting and fabricating to join your current headers to the Ford Racing muffler however. A better solution, especially if you do not want to use catalytic converters, would be to sell your Stainless Works header system intact and purchase the Ford Racing headers that are designed to hook up to either the stock muffler or the Ford Racing muffler. I am not talking about the rear exit Ford Racing headers that are incredibly loud, but the other headers that Ford Racing offered that hook directly up to the muffler and do not contain catalytic converters. I realize that they are no longer produced but you may be able to find a set somewhere. Again, Jack at Muscle Motors would be a good source here. Many of us who have heard that set up think it is the best sounding Ford GT exhaust system that exists. It is has a deep, just loud enough, excellent sounding tone that is calm at low throttle settings and roars like a tiger at full throttle. That is the direction I suggest you go in as it would be quieter and more pleasant during low throttle driving than your current system. All the best.

Chip

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Borla Muffler
FRPP P/N M-5230-GT......Borla P/N 140310​
View attachment 30945
Long Tube Headers
FRPP P/N M-9430-GT......Borla P/N 17253​
View attachment 30946
Rear Exit Headers
FRPP P/N M-9430-GTX......Borla P/N 12657​
View attachment 30947

Last edited:

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I will try the ford racing headers with the racing muffler.

Thanks for the help !!!!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
RF,

The Ford Racing muffler is a ton quieter than the Stainless Works headers you have now. It would require quite a bit of cutting and fabricating to join your current headers to the Ford Racing muffler however. A better solution, especially if you do not want to use catalytic converters, would be to sell your Stainless Works header system intact and purchase the Ford Racing headers that are designed to hook up to either the stock muffler or the Ford Racing muffler. I am not talking about the rear exit Ford Racing headers that are incredibly loud, but the other headers that Ford Racing offered that hook directly up to the muffler and do not contain catalytic converters. I realize that they are no longer produced but you may be able to find a set somewhere. Again, Jack at Muscle Motors would be a good source here. Many of us who have heard that set up think it is the best sounding Ford GT exhaust system that exists. It is has a deep, just loud enough, excellent sounding tone that is calm at low throttle settings and roars like a tiger at full throttle. That is the direction I suggest you go in as it would be quieter and more pleasant during low throttle driving than your current system. All the best.

Chip

I have the setup Chip references (long tube headers, and racing muffler). It sounds amazing. Quiet enough to get out of my noise sensitive neighborhood, but anything above 1/3 throttle is loud (in a really good way)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I can finally speak from first hand experience and say that the rear exit header setup is VERY docile sub 2500 RPM's and full on race mode/scream like a banshee at WOT. In-cabin is not only tolerable, but very pleasant. I found even the OEM muffler to have a bit of drone whereas the 9430GTX just has a nice rumble.

Chip, after hearing your car at the rally, I think yours is much louder than the rear exit setup.

This all being said, if you're looking for a lot quieter than the SW headers, then I would go with the long tubes + muffler.

All of the systems posted by Ralphie above are still made by Borla. Buying through Muscle Motors is less expensive than getting from Borla direct.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip, after hearing your car at the rally, I think yours is much louder than the rear exit setup.

This all being said, if you're looking for a lot quieter than the SW headers, then I would go with the long tubes + muffler.

+1 on your comments above. If I did not have turbos I would be running the long tube headers and Ford Racing muffler as it sounds great. I actually have a brand new Ford Racing muffler in the box at my home that I plan to put on my GT someday but for now I love the wicked sound of my air cooled, billet wheel, ceramic bearing, 64 mm turbos whistling to the lope of my Accufab built GT motor. It's always a hit when I pull into Cars & Coffee or the Pavillion's car show. It's a bit tough to have a conversation inside on a long drive though so the Ford Racing muffler "might" go on someday. Cheers.

Chip

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A better solution, especially if you do not want to use catalytic converters, would be to sell your Stainless Works header system intact and purchase the Ford Racing headers that are designed to hook up to either the stock muffler or the Ford Racing muffler.Chip

Sound advice!

Jack at MMP can get them.

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
"Sound Advice" I just got that!