Looking for cats

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I'm finally ditching the muffler and bumper. Since I have to make screens anyways, I thought about cutting the back of the cats off and running pipes straight out. I just want to keep mine intact in case it's too loud. I bet it'd shoot fire! I'm hoping for cheap otherwise I'll continue with the X-pipe I have.
TIA

Attachments

• GT exhaust.jpg
    GT exhaust.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 17

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Someone is parting a car out, piece by piece on eBay right now.

heads up. He wants 2-3x the going price on most items.

Reactions: 69b302

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
If you plan on really driving your car it will be too loud. I put my cats back on after driving to the Utah Rally....if you do car shows with short trips its tolerable.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
If you plan on really driving your car it will be too loud. I put my cats back on after driving to the Utah Rally....if you do car shows with short trips its tolerable.
I want to keep the cats. I'd like to get spares so I can cut the "turn up" off and weld on "straight out" ends.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Someone is parting a car out, piece by piece on eBay right now.

heads up. He wants 2-3x the going price on most items.
I'll say, but at least they put them out there. No cats listed other than some new polished ones from Godfather.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Rob, you already know this, but for anyone else perusing this thread and considering same, even with the cats in place, an X-pipe is seriously loud. A straight-out from the cat would be even louder. I have the Ford Racing muffer, and it's about as loud as I will tolerate for a distance driver.

Rob, another way you could "skin the cats" is to cut off the up turn and weld in flanges so that you could bolt them back on when you decide your ears have lost enough hearing.

Reactions: dshears

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Rob, you already know this, but for anyone else perusing this thread and considering same, even with the cats in place, an X-pipe is seriously loud. A straight-out from the cat would be even louder. I have the Ford Racing muffer, and it's about as loud as I will tolerate for a distance driver.

Rob, another way you could "skin the cats" is to cut off the up turn and weld in flanges so that you could bolt them back on when you decide your ears have lost enough hearing.
Too much work. No biggie if I can't find any. If it's too loud for you, drive faster. lol

Reactions: 2112

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Too much work. No biggie if I can't find any. If it's too loud for you, drive faster. lol

I just sold my stock cats to Dan Schoneck. He has a ton of GT parts. I would hit him up.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Just make a replacement set of pipes for the same area. They are basically straight pipes, so super simple for a fabricator.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Just make a replacement set of pipes for the same area. They are basically straight pipes, so super simple for a fabricator.
I want to keep the cats for a bit of sound dampening and not having to mess with the O2 monitors

xrayman396

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2006
Bucks County Pa
I have an extra set of Cat delete pipes to bolt on if your interested

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
When I put the Accufab X pipe in I drove it for s few miles with just the up shooting cats only....boy it was thunderous.
The best..... but too loud for more than 15min and that's under 4k rpm.

Last edited:

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
You could rotate the stock cats (need a longer o2 sensor wires) get them to point more inward (might just have clearance from trans)
Take off the lower screen and add a couple lengths of custom pipe to shoot in that area and drive and see how you like it.
If and when you find it too loud then rotate cats back go to a X pipe set up..... pretty cheap test.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
I’ve run just cats in stock from to x-pipe and borla tips for years. Sounds great. Scares fiats. That’s it!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You could rotate the stock cats (need a longer o2 sensor wires) get them to point more inward (might just have clearance from trans)
It's not possible to rotate the OEM cats more than a degree or two.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
No worries. I'll continue on my original path. Or should I put a straight pipe out the top of the clamshell like McLaren and Porsche? lol

Reactions: white out

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
I want to keep the cats. I'd like to get spares so I can cut the "turn up" off and weld on "straight out" ends.
Quite a few high flow cats available that are much smaller than stock and EPA legal. Would still be cheaper than what some OE cat pipes are selling for.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
I thought about running pipes straight out.
That is what I did, got rid of the 90 degree bend.

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Quite a few high flow cats available that are much smaller than stock and EPA legal. Would still be cheaper than what some OE cat pipes are selling for.

I recall quite a few of these not being able to hold up in supercharged applications. I believe that for the GT500, only Kooks survived.

Has that improved? If so, who’s Cats can do it?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
That is what I did, got rid of the 90 degree bend.
That's beautiful. Now you got me thinking about cat delete dammit! lol