looking for another car for about $85k

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Time to add another vehicle to the stable. Looking for a daily driver that I wont feel bad about if I drive it in the rain. Looking to spend around 75-85k max.

Resale is not the object..fun driver, comfortable, good performance...

I have considered a vette, viper or 911...

Ideas? Comments? Experience's???

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I planted my butt in a new (non Z06) Corvette the other day while I was having my truck serviced at the dealership... after be used to sitting in my GT, the 'vette felt like I was a monkey "doing" a football.

mardyn

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
the 'vette felt like I was a monkey "doing" a football.

mardyn

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:lol:lol:rofl:rofl:banana:rofl:lol

road racer

GT Owner
May 22, 2007
Franklin, TN
I've tried all of them (except the Viper) as the daily driver and in my humble-but usually correct-opinion the only way to go is the Vette. Not in the class of the FGT,true, but more fun than a barrel of monkeys and footballs. Compared to 911's, etc. the Vette always put the biggest grin on my face. Great gas mileage, easy to work on, dependible and all the other attributes that make a good daily driver choice. In fact, my Vette grin factor is second only to that provided by strapping on the FGT. But then maybe I just have a thing for monkeys!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I agree with Road Racer. I am not a Corvette cheerleader. However, the
ZO6 is an amazing car, particularly for the money. You can stick a weeks' worth of groceries in the hatch. It's certainly one of the best daily drivers out there.

But keep in mind you will be required to wear a thick gold chain and a pinkie ring to gain admission to the Corvette Owners' Club.

H

HHGT

If you do not mind a 1 to 2 year old used car, I believe the Maserati Quatrporte is worth a look at. Like the GT, not that many around and they are a good value for the money used - plus 2 seats in the back. You can also look at a used CLS AMG for the same ball park.. I am considering both.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Z06, amazing value for the money and a new car warranty.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Go for Honda Accord reliability and precision....get an NSX. My all time favorite before the GT. I miss my NSX and plan to buy another soon. The most exotic everyday car you could own and most trouble free. They are all aluminum and hand made.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I purchased a year old Jag XKR SC convert. for the MRSSteveA. 13,000 total miles, 5yr/ 50,000mi warranty, 400hp, solid ride and IMO a classy look for $55,000.

I had a 03 Z06 and although the jag isn't quite as quick it is a more pleasurable daily driver.

PS the service is fantastic.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
04 or 05 porsche 911 gt3. the best bet.:cheers

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Something to consider, here's a 2005 SRT10 viper after a SCT tune and exhaust. Try to avoid looking at peak hp, but rather the HP you're going to be using when you're daily driving!-
unltunviper.jpg

Last edited:

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
A 95-96 Ferrari 355 6 speed is a highly rewarding, and very comfortable car to drive... and will likely be my first Ferrari. It's not what I'd call as usable as a 'vette... but it is a much sweeter existence.... oh, and Tubi exhaust is a must!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I had an '04 SL500 when I bought my GT. The GT was such a fantastic car to drive that it made the SL feel like driving a washing machine. I traded the SL for a Maserati GranSport. It is a lot of fun and gets almost as much attention as my GT.

I got mine used with 2k miles for about $70k.

H

HHGT

I agree with you completely. My wife bought a 2006 Jaquar XJ Long Wheel base all options new - she had a 1997 before. Great in the looks department but I can tell you we are seriously dissapointed with the car - from bizarre noises behind the dash, rattling in the headliner and a stink out of the a/c vent etc... The 2 yr. lease is up this Oct and we are letting it go. As per my earlier post, we are really considering the Maserati as an alternative...She's been a long time Jaquar customer, but they lost her as a loyal customer for now.

Similarly, and not to hijack this thread, last year I had bought a 2006 F150 and after 18,000 miles I realized it was not a heavy duty truck, plus Ford's cloth interior is awful - stains like crazy. I went shopping for a quad door fully optioned 4X4 Diesel. I test drove Chevy, Ford and Dodge. Top of the criteria for me was towing and hauling. Dodge did not do it for me - seriously under powered. I liked the looks and ergonomics of the Ford Super Duty the best. When it came to shear torque, power, towing and minimal turbo lag, in my opinion the Duramax out performed them all, and that is what I ended up with.

Along the way I noticed how desperation is kicking in for all auto sales - not just domestic cars/trucks. I think this high performing economy is quickly slowing down. Ford did a huge mistake by releasing the 2008 models early - they were giving the 2007s away. Last month when I bought the 2007 Duramax, there were no 2008 chevy models. In any event all three were dipping into their hold backs. Within an hour of negotiating, I had them $1500 below invoice PLUS $1500 rebate PLUS $1000 of dealer coupons. I guess flooring is costing them and they'd rather get rid of inventory.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
In Texas drive a SLR V

Man I tell you what this is one bad caddy,

Sticker is 100K but I think you can get a decent deal or wait a few weeks for the new 2008 models.

SLR-V 443 hp
STS-V 469 hp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadi...ryZ98059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dealer Invoice: $86,252

Or a bit tamer:
http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2007/cadillac/sts-v/
Dealer Invoice: $68,634

conundrum

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2007
Kentucky
Time to add another vehicle to the stable. Looking for a daily driver that I wont feel bad about if I drive it in the rain. Looking to spend around 75-85k max.

Funny you should mention that. I'm looking for the same thing in the same price range.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Porsche Cayman S. Yes it is down on power to the Vette and many other options but that is exactly why I like it. The way I see it a great part of driving is to work a car hard thru the gears. Let's face it, the GT smashes the speed limit in second. You can't do much in the GT with the geabox and engine on public roads. The Cayman S let's you work the engine and gearbox hard with sufficient power to enjoy a wonderful chassis. It is perhaps a more complete driving experience for the dayly commute.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
My daily driver is an '06 SRT8 Dodge Charger, and 16 months in it has been fantastic! Great oomph around town, but quiet until you get on it a little. 425hp and 420lbs torque provide a continuous push in the back, and with big Brembo brakes, it performed well on a local road course, even weighing above 4,200 lbs. After a 740i-S430-E500 string of some strictly average cars, it has been a breath of fresh air for $43,500 including $2k gas guzzler tax. Just a 2 year lease, so thinking of something else fun below $55k. Challenger or Camaro redesigns ? Little too firm around town for the wifey, but nice on the highway, with a great fat grippy steering wheel. Wife get's pissed because all the valet's love the car and comment about it, as it's black and it kind of looks like Darth Vader coming at you. Lot's of bang for the buck, so that is my 2c worth.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
a bit out of the price range but very cool...... an Aston Martin V8 ... in black of course. :thumbsup:banana:banana:banana:banana:thumbsup

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
a bit out of the price range but very cool...... an Aston Martin V8 ... in black of course. :thumbsup:banana:banana:banana:banana:thumbsup

And the Troy Michigan police have one so what does that tell you about where all the money is in Michigan....on the way to the woodward dream cruise I was along side of the Silver Aston and was shocked how ogood it looked with lights on the roof and troy police stickers all over it and the cop driving it looked like he was in heaven. I told him at the light I can still whip his ass:lol

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

C6 Z06 is what you want